• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hot As He!!

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It never gets this hot in the PNW. Nobody has air-conditioning. The only way we are surviving is I get up at 4:30 AM open up the house and put the fans in the doors and windows and hope it cools down enough, then shut all the doors and windows to keep what cool we have in so we can survive the day. We have had three days in a row over 100 with each day breaking the all time record. we live on a ridge with a lot of shade trees and here's today's temps-

IMG_0113.JPG

I think it has cooked my brain

084026-2040x1312.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We were just discussing the temps we get here in the high desert of Reno and the hottest temps recorded here was 108.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It was close to a 100 here in the Sacramento Valley (not unusual for us at all), but we're down to 75 at 9 pm with a pleasant breeze that will drop temperatures further all night. I feel for the PNW without AC and with nature's AC seemingly failing you. I hope the weather pattern changes soon.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
It hit 40*C/104*F today in Victoria. We are on the southern tip of Vancouver Island with ocean of 3 sides so this heat is crazy.

I drove with my dog with AC on max to Cdn Tire department store and walked around with my dog in AC comfort for over an hour. I spent $78Cdn but that is good value vs driving around with gas at $1.629/L (4 litres per US gallon; you do the math).

I am sitting in front of 2 fans and a swamp cooler. I put a soaking wet towel in a tub for my dog to lie on but she wanted no part of it, so I am soaking my feet in it and it feels great. I do have soaker coat for the dog for 6am dog walks.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Spokane was 107° today, all the way down to 97° now.
Doesn't look like snow tonight.
Forecast say 111° for tomorrow. Long term we are supposed to be 100°+ through next Monday.
Sure glad we spent all the money last year for new heating and air systems.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
I can usually be relied on to whine on those rare times it tops 27 C.
Yesterday and today in our area of Greater Vancouver it's been in the 40s. Almost all high temp records have been broken across the province..

We live close to the ocean but at that temp its too hot to go to the beach.
On the positive side as its too hot to sleep I'm awake past my normal old man bedtime.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lytton BC broke its own record of 46.6C set on Sunday with 47.5C yesterday. We were only 33C in Toronto yesterday, with humidity around 88%

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I played 18 holes of golf yesterday in Northern Virginia where it was 97F when I went back to my car at the end of the round. My body was drained, unfortunately not so many putts were drained:ogbiggrin:

You guys are talking some crazy temps out there in the PNW, but what was the humidity? The high summer humidity is what gets us here in the mid-Atlantic.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The high summer humidity is what gets us here in the mid-Atlantic.

You are not kidding about when it comes to mid-Atlantic humidity.
We used to vacation in the NC/SC shore during the summer. Often felt like a piece of salmon in one of the new-fangled steam oven. Speaking of steam ovens, that is another thing I don't understand along with the $20 stainless steel finger guards.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Fun fact of the day (or yesterday when I learned it). Everyone talks about humidity being a major defining factor on how hot it feels. Dew point is actually a better gauge of how disgusting it feels out.

Current dew point on the coast of NH is 71 deg…I think we’re well into the “oppressive” range.

General comfort levels USING DEW POINT that can be expected during the summer months:
  • less than or equal to 55: dry and comfortable
  • between 55 and 65: becoming "sticky" with muggy evenings
  • greater than or equal to 65: lots of moisture in the air, becoming oppressive
Source:https://www.weather.gov/arx/why_dewpoint_vs_humidity

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
You guys are talking some crazy temps out there in the PNW, but what was the humidity? The high summer humidity is what gets us here in the mid-Atlantic.

The Northwest is weird for those used to the Mid-Atlantic. Imagine 100F+ and 10% humidity reversing to 80F and 80%+ - and back again, in the space of hours - depending on the wind direction.

Like I said in the hot cycling thread, don't do protein and fat today. Carbs, veg, salt and hydration.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
My nephew’s car in Portland, Oregon yesterday...
BB1348CB-FA80-4577-B4F7-C108EC7A43F1.jpeg

Meanwhile in Tahoe it has been close to 90° the past few days which is unheard of in June and very rare any other time.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
We escaped the PNW heat by going to Missouri and Florida :roflmao:. Seriously, though, we had a previous trip planned for some family stuff and missed the blast furnace over the weekend. Will be happy to get out of the humidity even if it is still hot when we get home this evening.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Fun fact of the day (or yesterday when I learned it). Everyone talks about humidity being a major defining factor on how hot it feels. Dew point is actually a better gauge of how disgusting it feels out.

Current dew point on the coast of NH is 71 deg…I think we’re well into the “oppressive” range.

General comfort levels USING DEW POINT that can be expected during the summer months:
  • less than or equal to 55: dry and comfortable
  • between 55 and 65: becoming "sticky" with muggy evenings
  • greater than or equal to 65: lots of moisture in the air, becoming oppressive
Source:https://www.weather.gov/arx/why_dewpoint_vs_humidity

Yes it feels disgusting! This East Coast Humidity is OPPRESSIVE!
Currently 90 in the Adirondacks, dew point/humidity over 70% UGH- It's exhausting for me.
I'm So thankful for AC- but I can hardly breath when outside it's so stuffy. I really feel for you PNW folks with no AC.

Hottest I've ever lived was in Fresno CA-- 110F common but No Humidity- that was still way too hot for me.. I did fry an egg on the sidewalk one day.

I really would rather have snow all year; counting down the days...
CIMG7231.JPG

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My family in Portland all have a/c thankfully so they are surviving but getting outside early then staying inside as it heats up. What's weird is that here in Colorado we're basically having PNW weather with highs in the 60's and low 70s. Looks like Thursday will feel like a relative cold front in the PNW. Crossing my fingers that it holds true so everyone gets a bit of a break.

Sponsor

Staff online