• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hot As He!!

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
[QUOTE

I have this thing in my head..there are a million or 2 people in Vegas..by god they need water! Or else Vegas won't survive! So..instead of putting it in a more appropriate place..let's build a water pipeline from Lake Michigan... Crazy you think??
[/QUOTE]
I spent 6 months in working in Vegas in ‘94. The first thing that occurred to me and still does is who thought it was a good idea to start a city here? The water scarce, 80 years ago is imported, the amount of electricity needed to run A/C 24/7 for 8 months of the year is tremendous. I know how iLas Vegas got started but I’m still at a loss to understand the reasoning.
One old timer told me that Vegas was on “ life support “, “ it’s got more tubes and wires in it to keep it going”.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Phoenix, AZ. Population, 1950 ~ 107,000, 2021 ~ 1,633,000.
There are some minor side effects.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wars have started already...we're at the thin edge of the wedge. They're just not front of mind for everyone. I live 5kms from one of the largest bodies of freshwater on the planet. I do wonder when people will come looking for that water.. And I'm glad we share it with States that have as much respect for it as we do. Let's hope we can keep it alive.

I have this thing in my head..there are a million or 2 people in Vegas..by god they need water! Or else Vegas won't survive! So..instead of putting it in a more appropriate place..let's build a water pipeline from Lake Michigan... Crazy you think??
It would take far too much energy to pump it from the Great Lakes to Vegas. How would you get it over the Rockies? You’d have to tunnel though them. Too costly. I *think* most of our oil and gas pipelines run roughly north-south, not east-west.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Phoenix, AZ. Population, 1950 ~ 107,000, 2021 ~ 1,633,000.
There are some minor side effects.

So when excessive groundwater withdrawal causes subsidence, I wonder if the pore spaces in the aquifer collapse to the point where they can’t be refilled. It seems as if, over time, the collapsed, depleted aquifer would become compressed under its own weight since it lacks the resistance of the water in its pore spaces.

It takes a long time for most aquifers to recharge. The water that’s been in some of those huge western aquifers has been there for thousands of years. Now it’s getting withdrawn in under a century.

Edit: And the deeper one needs to pump for water in these aquifers, often the saltier the water is. It’s been there for so long that many minerals have dissolved in it.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
It would take far too much energy to pump it from the Great Lakes to Vegas. How would you get it over the Rockies? You’d have to tunnel though them. Too costly. I *think* most of our oil and gas pipelines run roughly north-south, not east-west.
That's a good point..but at some price..it makes sense. Here's an article on the Ogallala aquifer and some dude planning a water pipeline in Texas..

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's a good point..but at some price..it makes sense. Here's an article on the Ogallala aquifer and some dude planning a water pipeline in Texas..
The Ogallala is a very precious resource. Here’s some interesting points that were bullet listed at the beginning of this article:
  • If spread across the U.S. the aquifer would cover all 50 states with 1.5 feet of water
  • If drained, it would take more than 6,000 years to refill naturally
  • More than 90 percent of the water pumped is used to irrigate crops
  • $20 billion a year in foodand fiber depend on the aquifer
#2 is the reason why excessive groundwater withdrawal in midwestern/western states is so frightening.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Substations are placed every 50 miles or so to keep the product moving. Some lines parallel Interstates or Powerlines and some are HDD. It would take a year to build it. To move enough Water it would take a few large lines.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wars have started already...we're at the thin edge of the wedge. They're just not front of mind for everyone. I live 5kms from one of the largest bodies of freshwater on the planet. I do wonder when people will come looking for that water.. And I'm glad we share it with States that have as much respect for it as we do. Let's hope we can keep it alive.

I recall a documentary 25 years ago which predicted Las Vegas will be the first major US city to be abandoned as a ghost town.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Lake Michigan is seeing variation in comparison to the Chicago river.

Recent articles noted the reversal of the river flowing (more) sewage into the lake. I recall reading the river flow was reversed long ago. Funny how we don't mind dumping sewage onto the downstream recipients but care if we are affected.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Vegas isn't alone in non-sustainable city in the country.
How many times do we rebuild New Orleans? With their marshes going underwater they have no protection from the ocean. Is it all of the other states responsibility (or interest) to keep them above water?
There are going to be some very painful choices in coming years.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
At the bottom of that blurb from This is That is this disclaimer:
This is That is an award-winning satirical current affairs show that doesn't just talk about the issues, it fabricates them.
@LiquidFeet, you have made a mistake. I made 2 separate posts with post #171 being a satire video and post #172 that you quoted in your post #176 being an old but legit discussion on bulk water. You quoted from the wrong post, so make a correction or I will report your false post (I know you did not do this on purpose but it still needs to be corrected).

I made 2 completely separate posts in an effort to eliminate confusion but it didn't work.