• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hotronic XLP One 50 Heated Socks

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anybody with direct experience with this heated sock?

They are in stock, at a good price in XL, and seem to not be super-thin, which is my general ski sock preference.

Thanks!

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
Anybody with direct experience with this heated sock?

They are in stock, at a good price in XL, and seem to not be super-thin, which is my general ski sock preference.

Thanks!

I have them. The socks work in a tight fitting boot. Somewhat of a process clipping the battery to the sock and overlapping the battery Back into the sock. But the more you do this the easier and quicker it becomes.
The performance is good and solid. Never had an issue with the batteries unclipping (3 point contact).
They work as advertised . Replacement socks are pretty expensive if you want two pair of socks for multiple days of skiing. No issue with washing the socks.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have them. The socks work in a tight fitting boot. Somewhat of a process clipping the battery to the sock and overlapping the battery Back into the sock. But the more you do this the easier and quicker it becomes.
The performance is good and solid. Never had an issue with the batteries unclipping (3 point contact).
They work as advertised . Replacement socks are pretty expensive if you want two pair of socks for multiple days of skiing. No issue with washing the socks.

Thanks, I really appreciate the firsthand review.

How does the sizing run for you?

I've seen a few comments that they are large. I'm a 13 -- 29.5 ski boot -- so XL seems appropriate.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks, I really appreciate the firsthand review.

How does the sizing run for you?

I've seen a few comments that they are large. I'm a 13 -- 29.5 ski boot -- so XL seems appropriate.
I have the large in a 26.5 shell. Street shoe size is 10.5

bad influence

Booting up
Skier
My wife I have the Lens heated socks with the lithium battery. I absolutely love them. Feet stay warm all day and you can control them with an app on your phone

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve been considering getting a pair (or two). I have boot heaters (heating element on footbeds) and the cord on the left one snapped after too many times in and out of boots (I have to put liners on first, then shells).

I also now have tele boots, and while I think they’ll be much warmer, *maybe* I’d want them heated some days.

Thing is, I have multiple, multiple ski socks that I’ve collected over the years and it seems silly to spend so much for…more socks.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Update: First trial today on a cold-ish hike. VERY little heat felt on 3. On 4, they just quickly revert to 3 for "safety" reasons.

Not terribly impressed so far.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting thread. I'm very curious about washing and durability. 60+ days on snow that means 60+ washings and sometimes 4 - 7 days straight during a trip. That's a lot of extra work during a trip when my HT discs work fine w/o the hassle. I question the longevity or lack there of, in the thin sock category even w/ the highest end socks. Or their online ads need to say, " NO BS! We skied, hiked and washed these 1000x and not one failure or hole in the heel..."

Same w/ heated gloves....I used to suffer from wicked cold hands but since I started using the Seirus Heatwave glove liners, I tossed all my "Ski" gloves that were constantly tearing up in the Vermont woods, in favor of much cheaper and more durable winter work gloves by Carhartt, Wells Lamont and Westchester all from Tractor Supply Co. Fly Low got on board and makes a good quality work glove or you can spend a fortune on a set of Hestras.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am so sick of buying Hotronics batteries for the boot heaters. $75 for ONE battery. Ouch. Between the two of us, it seems we are buying at least one battery every year.

I bought some cheap-ish heated socks for my granddaughter for Christmas, since she is growing and changing boots it seemed like a better option than boot heaters.

They are Savior brand socks sold as Mievino on Amazon, and they worked great so far. Single-digit temps on medium skiing bell to bell, they were still warm at the end of the day.

For the cost of one single Hotronics battery you get a pair of socks, charger and two very slim battery packs that don't get banged up by chairlifts. new pair of batteries is under $45. Plus you have the added benefit of having warm tootsies while shoveling out your driveway.

The negative on this brand of sock is that it is a cotton blend. I would prefer wool that doesn't need to be washed so often. Also, they are kind of thick through the toes. She didn't mind that, and her father wore them one day and said that it wasn't a problem, but I think thinner would be better.

The Lenz are four times the cost. I would be interested in people's experience with other brands besides Hotronics and Lenz.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am so sick of buying Hotronics batteries for the boot heaters. $75 for ONE battery. Ouch. Between the two of us, it seems we are buying at least one battery every year.

I bought some cheap-ish heated socks for my granddaughter for Christmas, since she is growing and changing boots it seemed like a better option than boot heaters.

They are Savior brand socks sold as Mievino on Amazon, and they worked great so far. Single-digit temps on medium skiing bell to bell, they were still warm at the end of the day.

For the cost of one single Hotronics battery you get a pair of socks, charger and two very slim battery packs that don't get banged up by chairlifts. new pair of batteries is under $45. Plus you have the added benefit of having warm tootsies while shoveling out your driveway.

The negative on this brand of sock is that it is a cotton blend. I would prefer wool that doesn't need to be washed so often. Also, they are kind of thick through the toes. She didn't mind that, and her father wore them one day and said that it wasn't a problem, but I think thinner would be better.

The Lenz are four times the cost. I would be interested in people's experience with other brands besides Hotronics and Lenz.
During the last 15 yrs i've never lost a hotronics battery. Wifey has been skiing 6+ years and never lost a battery either. I install the cords long enough to reach the front of the boot and do a Front Clip install, clipped on the outside band of our Booster Straps. We use the metal clips that are non removable (from the battery) and chuck those cheap plastic clip in/out types. I can't think of anything that has ever hit the front of my boot to dislodge the batteries...that includes more ski boot hikes, bus rides, and lodge madness than I can count. :beercheer:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @Yo Momma ... I should have been more explicit. I've had to replace them because they die, not because they run away. ogwink

Between my DH and me, we've had to purchase 4 replacement batteries over the last eight years because they just would no longer hold a charge. That's a battery every other year. At nearly $80 a pop, that adds up.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I have a set of boot heaters from Sidas that work fine but they've since been bought out by Thermic and the batteries don't seem to be available any more. When mine are done I will likely have to buy new custom footbeds and heaters.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @Yo Momma ... I should have been more explicit. I've had to replace them because they die, not because they run away. ogwink

Between my DH and me, we've had to purchase 4 replacement batteries over the last eight years because they just would no longer hold a charge. That's a battery every other year. At nearly $80 a pop, that adds up.

For the Hotronic boot heaters, I usually expect 3 to 4 years out of a set of batteries. I also expect to replace the heat pads couple times per season. For me it's just routine maintenance. They are older tech rechargeable batteries (NiMH) after all. They all have fairly well defined operating life. Have to admit the new Li-ion batteries exhibit improved form factor, smaller and lighter. The interface is smarter too.

Sponsor

Staff online