• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

House Olive Oil

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm in the market for a nice affordable and available extra virgin olive oil to use "raw"' in dressings, cold sauces, and as a topping for cooked foods. (I am good on lower end oil to cook with.)

I actually have a very good local source for evoo, but it is just not sustainable from a budget POV. (I use a lot of the stuff.) Ideally I'm looking for something I can just order every three or four months and be good.

Thoughts? And especially first-hand recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

PS Extra credit for organic

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I like a good Olive oil, but for the price and how much we go through it, Costco for the win. It's a nice robust flavor; we use it almost exclusively.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier

At your local Costco in-warehouse; there maybe smaller regional runs of olive oils at about 2x the price of that bulk item (e.g. $10 per 750ml bottle size). That is usually what I use; if you want to step up or have 3 tiers of oil. [my label just says "O California Organic Olive Oil" and looks like a wine bottle]
I would remind that as with all oils, you don't want to stock up; as oils deteriorate over time; so just buy what you'll use up within 6mo to at most 1year.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yup, good point @raytseng about the smaller run options, unfortunately, can't link to them. Just have to explore the warehouse!

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
terra-delyssa-closeup-300x282.jpg
This is the olive oil we use pretty much all the time. It is very good, and very reasonable. We use a lot, so thats counts. Available at Costco in Canada, not sure about US

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A relevant article:

A lot of EVOO sold in the US is not actually EVOO... doctoring and fake EVOO are rampant.

Here's an article talking about a few that have been tested and passed as actual EVOO:

That list includes Kirkland and Trader Joe's, among a few others.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
A relevant article:

A lot of EVOO sold in the US is not actually EVOO... doctoring and fake EVOO are rampant.

Here's an article talking about a few that have been tested and passed as actual EVOO:

I remember watching a news piece on 60 minutes about fake olive oil and I remember noting Kirkland brand being one of the ones that was actually what it said it was when tested. I have been using that and Trader Joe's because I generally trust them more than most and it's where I do most of my food shopping.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I like Trader Joe's (are they in Maine?) California Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Several years ago, I was listening to an episode of America's Test Kitchen and they discussed how essentially all the usual olive oils from either Spain or Italy are the kind of cheap junk they know they can foist off on most Americans. With rare exceptions. Since then, I've tried several CA oils and in my experience, TJ's has a quality-to-cost ratio that's hard to beat. Convenient, too, as I am in TJ's at least once a week.

That Napa Valley Olive Oil looks interesting. I'll have to give that a try.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I like Trader Joe's (are they in Maine?) California Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Several years ago, I was listening to an episode of America's Test Kitchen and they discussed how essentially all the usual olive oils from either Spain or Italy are the kind of cheap junk they know they can foist off on most Americans. With rare exceptions. Since then, I've tried several CA oils and in my experience, TJ's has a quality-to-cost ratio that's hard to beat. Convenient, too, as I am in TJ's at least once a week.

That Napa Valley Olive Oil looks interesting. I'll have to give that a try.
Only one TJ’s in Maine, Portland. Call before as TJ’s stock can sometimes be erratic .

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think @Tony S has the right idea- use a lesser quality heavy oil for sautéing and lubrication and a lighter, fragrant one for dressings.
We use a local Italian importer who has his own house brand which is great and less expensive per ounce than grocery store brands like Colavita. Another I can recommend is one made in Ojai Ca.by Carolina Gramm . It’s not cheap but it’s organic and delicious.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A relevant article:

This is great, db. Thanks.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Buy in bulk. I get the 1/2 gallon size. It’s superb.

Nice family-owned place.
This looks great. Thanks. I am likely to try.
Well, that was a good thought while it lasted. $30 for a half gallon. Okay. $30 to ship it. Not okay. :(

I guess I'm going to have to steel myself for a trip to Trader Joe's. (Not generally a big fan. And DEFINITELY not a fan of their absurdly minute parking lot.)

Also going to look into the Kirkland one, although I have a suspicion that that's going to be more like my "every day" oil that we're currently getting from Whole Foods.

Sponsor