• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

House Olive Oil

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Whole Foods' 365 EVOO was referenced in that mashed summary referenced by @dbostedo above. Probably hard to beat for cost/convenience.

And that fraudster article. Wow...Just Wow...

James

Out There
Instructor
Have you looked at this site?
What $/liter are we looking at, and are you talking 2-3 liter at a time?

Many countries there, btw, I just copied the Greek one.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Subscribe to an olive oil club. Zingerman's Rare Olive Oil Club would be interesting for someone with discerning taste buds.
Thanks. As a wine geek I think I'm probably permanently allergic to these kinds of "clubs." But I appreciate the thought.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Many countries there, btw, I just copied the Greek one.
I'm not taking flyers on stuff that no one I know has actually tried. Is this a source that you know personally? Do you have specific faves?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

I'm perfectly prepared to take flyers on 2-3L at a time, especially on prices less than $15/l as those Greek ones are but I really really dislike both tins and glass.

Olive oil, especially olive oil shipped from other continents, absolutely belongs in Tetrapak.

From a purely environmental standpoint, I'd far rather buy a kiwi oil in Tetrapak than Greek in a tin or Italian in glass.

EDIT: Our nearby Harry Titter carries the Tunisian stuff @graham418 links to - in a proper lightweight package at that.

Last edited:

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A relevant article:

A lot of EVOO sold in the US is not actually EVOO... doctoring and fake EVOO are rampant.

Here's an article talking about a few that have been tested and passed as actual EVOO:

That list includes Kirkland and Trader Joe's, among a few others.
Yes- this was in the news a few years ago - a big scandal involving Italian organized crime. They take this stuff seriously in Italy and France- what you can call food and it’s Appellation
is a source of pride and ultimately reputation as well as the value quality can command. Protecting the brand as it were.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lucini Premium Select EVOO is available at our grocery store and occasionally Costco. Their Everyday EVOO made the "good" list above, so I assume both are not fake. The price sure isn't fake and the flavor is very fine. This is used just for dressing salads, apps, and dipping bread.

For everyday oil we use the Kirkland brands and for cooking Berio, which I knew was not Italian olives, but I was okay with that as long as it was EVOO. Now I have my doubts.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
California brand evoo is mentioned in that “real” evoo article above, and is widely available at regular grocery stores. At least in my experience.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...this was in the news a few years ago...
What was interesting to me was that the big story was in 2015, so you'd think maybe things had changed. (I figured they would have...) But the article I posted confirms that more testing by the NCL n 2019, still found half the bottles tested weren't really EVOO.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What was interesting to me was that the big story was in 2015, so you'd think maybe things had changed. (I figured they would have...) But the article I posted confirms that more testing by the NCL n 2019, still found half the bottles tested weren't really EVOO.
At this point , I just assume that store brands are not anywhere near pure olive oil. Italy’s D.O.C. labeling is something they guard aggressively with wine and cheese, I don’t understand why this is still going on with the Oil.

James

Out There
Instructor
Like doping in cycling?
I think scamming in olive oil has been around since the Romans. But there’s all types, from blatant fraud of mixing non olive oil in, to just blending in oil that’s 2-3 years old which is legal. There’s not enough olive trees in Italy to produce all the “Italian” olive oil. Most is blended, or even just bottled in Italy. Plenty of money to be made scamming olive oil, and it’s doubtful the DEA is going to drop Ninjas from a helicopter to arrest you.

Most people don’t think it degrades over time. I think once the oil has absorbed the flavor from the pulp after processing, yesterday’s oil is always better. But there’s no escaping storage to supply the world and ship. Unless you live nearby or join the “fresh pressed olive oil” club by TJ Robinson.

Apparently Australia has the highest standards and doesn’t import oils to blend. Chile is also good. Cobram estate, an Australian company, is now in California too. Never tried it.

I think southern hemisphere harvest is April- June harvest, northern is October-November.

Apparently 2020 was a bad year for Northern Italy Olives because of horrible weather like wind and hail.

I'm not taking flyers on stuff that no one I know has actually tried. Is this a source that you know personally? Do you have specific faves?
No. The “best” oil I’ve had was probably not suited to cooking. It was from a friend who worked for an architect that I think helped restore small olive production near the ruins of Villa Adriana in Tivoli. This was 30 years ago, so they were there mid 80’s to mid 90’s, long before it was trendy. That was bright green, really peppery, and reminded you of cut grass. I had no idea olive oil was like that. As far as I can tell, the closest is Tiburtini. It may even have been that, no idea. It was bottled with a label. I did see in looking tholive prodiction has resumed around Hadrian’s Villa in Tivoli.

I did come across this company. You could trace the heritage of the olives by lot number if you wanted. No idea of the taste or how old the product is when you get it.

D195C760-DC75-48F1-9AC5-F5F151F07AF6.jpeg 517CB70C-2374-4796-BE3E-74CB542BD485.jpeg
$35/3L , $20/3L

As for boxed organic, saw this-
538A6115-C7A8-4818-A424-FD646E9AA024.jpeg
$109/5liters

$89/3liters
A88CAE80-7726-4E73-8D0F-53F632F96780.jpeg

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
No. The “best” oil I’ve had was probably not suited to cooking. It was from a friend who worked for an architect that I think helped restore small olive production near the ruins of Villa Adriana in Tivoli. This was 30 years ago, so they were there mid 80’s to mid 90’s, long before it was trendy. That was bright green, really peppery, and reminded you of cut grass. I had no idea olive oil was like that. As far as I can tell, the closest is Tiburtini. It may even have been that, no idea. It was bottled with a label. I did see in looking tholive prodiction has resumed around Hadrian’s Villa in Tivoli.

James, this is fun. Thanks.

BTW, several of you did not read my OP carefully. I'm specifically NOT looking for a cooking oil.

I'm in the market for a nice affordable and available extra virgin olive oil to use "raw"' in dressings, cold sauces, and as a topping for cooked foods.
The “best” oil I’ve had was probably not suited to cooking.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just mix it up. Market Basket still has some of its old school roots, including olive oil.

I would just sample cold apps at some nice italian restaurants and ask them about their oils.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Used to have a place like this in my town. This one is in North Conway. Might stop by some day.

Sponsor

Staff online