• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

House Olive Oil

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We like California Olive Ranch. Nice light flavor with a touch of olive, pepperiness that feels right.
A couple of years ago it was only in a couple of local ( N CA) stores, then most mainstream groceries, and now just a little harder to find. For me, worth the chase. Yes, I buy in the larger quantities and rebottle to a more daily friendly size.

1627408002845.png

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
The best olive oil I ever had was at this restaurant in Athens ~4 years ago.

We bought a bottle and brought it home with us in our luggage. It was delicious to eat plain - made everything taste better. Haven't tried to get another bottle since - but maybe if you are determined you could get them to ship you some? It was cheap in Athens (less than $20 for 750ml), but shipping would make this not so cheap... I cooked with it a little -- great results but a waste for something so tasty on its own.

James

Out There
Instructor
BTW, several of you did not read my OP carefully. I'm specifically NOT looking for a cooking oil.
Yes, I read it. I meant ‘one’ for ‘you’.
Now that I think of it, there were probably at least two types of that oil. The very green one and a more mild one. Getting access to quality oils not in small bottles might require a friend in the business somewhere where restaurants get it.

Isn’t the request pretty general, like asking for a red wine? What qualities are you looking for?

Meanwhile, California considering legislation to control use of the name “California” on bottles. California Olive Ranch would probably have to give up the name for non 100% California oil. COR is not in favor of this.

Thomas Mueller, author of Extra Virginity-
———————-

“California Olive Ranch’s Destination Series [now called Global Blend] is a threat to California agriculture and olive oil production specifically because it is undercutting honest producers,” he said.

“They built an important brand and have led people to associate COR with olive oil grown, milled, stored and sold in California and that is simply not the case with the Destination Series,” Mueller added. “Frankly, it should not have California on the bottle if it is not made in California.”
———————————

I’d have to agree.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
20210727_180949.jpg
I have this as the go to oil for most things in the kitchen. Has a nice taste, $10 cad / litre. From the local middle eastern grocer

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I use avacado oil. For cooking, it has a higher temperature before it smokes vs olive oil. https://www.costco.ca/chosen-foods-100-pure-avocado-oil,-1-l.product.100416824.htm
Try grape seed oil for cooking, high temp as well less expense than avacado oil, less sticky and lighter.

For flavour Olive oil, hands down.

Costco hands down for both, buy large sizes on sale.

Just an after thought, add some Martinis to your olive oil for flavour:martini:. Enough and any brand will be a delight.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Well, that was a good thought while it lasted. $30 for a half gallon. Okay. $30 to ship it. Not okay. :(

I guess I'm going to have to steel myself for a trip to Trader Joe's. (Not generally a big fan. And DEFINITELY not a fan of their absurdly minute parking lot.)
Delicious, available, cheap - pick any two. ;)

Now I totally want to see @Tony S set up a cargo bike for his oil shopping :D

#wedontneednostinkingparkinglots
#stravatrackwithtastingnotes

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Isn’t the request pretty general, like asking for a red wine? What qualities are you looking for?
Fair question. My go-to has been a Portuguese Cobrancosa single-variety bottling. It's very fragrant and fresh and assertive, but this side of the intense green pungency of classic Tuscan oils from Chianti estates like Capezzana. However it's $40 per 750ml, which is about double what I really want to pay. Supermarket items like Colavita or Carapelli are closer to my cooking olive oils. (Obviously I often cook with other oils too, including peanut and plain canola, depending on desired outcome.)

I agree that Newfydog's suggestion is a front runner because of the low shipping and first hand testimony.

James

Out There
Instructor
Maybe you could request samples of ones that interest you. Wouldn’t be surprised if they oblige.
Looks like Cobram held a free virtual tasting last year, sending out samples.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Supermarket items like Colavita or Carapelli are closer to my cooking olive oils. (Obviously I often cook with other oils too, including peanut and plain canola, depending on desired outcome.)

So...no one in this thread uses pomace oils for whatever?

That, right there, is reason enough for the abuse mentioned at the top of the thread.

Last edited:

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tony S Here's another national plug for California Olive Ranch. Got a Target near you? Maybe shipping isn't that much. It's certainly cheaper than $20/750ml at my stores.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
We have gotten some very good olive oil from the Saratoga Olive Oil Company. They should be available on line or they have a few outlets, one of them is in Lake Placid NY. That is where I get mine, one of the selections we have tried is the HOT Olive Oil but you shouldn't use too much of it because it is as advertised HOT.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A lot of the boutique oil stores in the US are supplied by Veronica Foods. I suspected this for a while after visiting many of these boutique oil and vinegar stores and seeing the same M.O. I looked into it and sure enough they don't all import their own oil. Check the back of the green bottle and see if there is verbiage that the oil was supplied by Veronica. Not that there's anything wrong with that, they have high standards.

Here's an enlightening article:

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A lot of the boutique oil stores in the US are supplied by Veronica Foods. I suspected this for a while after visiting many of these boutique oil and vinegar stores and seeing the same M.O. I looked into it and sure enough they don't all import their own oil. Check the back of the green bottle and see if there is verbiage that the oil was supplied by Veronica. Not that there's anything wrong with that, they have high standards.

Here's an enlightening article:
This is great info.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Great thread.

The Veronica Foods info is interesting. My wife and I were just taking about this thread, and she reminded me that we have seen that setup, with the Ultra Premium designation and the stainless tubs in 5-6 high end stores.
All the exact same. All implying that it was their oil. I believe that the first time we saw it was at Tahoe Oil and Spice in Truckee.

We tend to use a lot of the Greek oil from Costco and Trader Joe’s. It’s like a commodity in the house. Nothing special, but a Greek restauranteur buddy buys it as well….and swears by the Market Basket supermarket stuff as well. They are all cheap. But so are their distribution and acquisition costs.

We just drained the last bottle of a three bottle gift set that made it’s way to us from the lake region of Italy. And I’m going to follow my buddy Newfy’s recommendation. He always points me in the right direction.

And if not….the other stuff works for my non discriminating palate!

Really interesting thread. Thanks for posting it, Tony!

Sponsor

Staff online