• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

House Olive Oil

James

Out There
Instructor
Isn’t organic olive oil like organic maple syrup? As in, if it’s not organic it’s not actually olive oil or not actually maple syrup?
That’s kind of like saying anything grown is organic.
Has partially to do with not using pesticides and herbicides. Or only allowed ones. You could be spraying the hell out of olive trees to kill insects and other problems.

The “organic” rules can get a bit ridiculous. As an example, guy I knew in NY State couldn’t sell “organic” beef, if the grazing fields had pressure treated fence posts.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The “organic” rules can get a bit ridiculous. As an example, guy I knew in NY State couldn’t sell “organic” beef, if the grazing fields had pressure treated fence posts.

*shrug* makes sense to me, especially if the grazing pastures or preserved forage also includes contaminant-fixing feed crops like alfalfa.

Isn’t organic olive oil like organic maple syrup? As in, if it’s not organic it’s not actually olive oil or not actually maple syrup?

Enzymatically treated paste with a solvent-based extraction followed by bleaching and activated carbon or silica treatment still results in olive oil - and the un-trained public might well prefer the resulting taste.

The un-trained public also prefers over-cooked 'tastes like maple' syrups. So the answer to your first question is - 'maybe'?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There's not much fresh cyder around anyways and only organic if you grow the apples in your yard and only grind and press. We used to use rice hulls in the mash to press; it helps to create channels for the fluid. Before that they used oat hulls, probably depends on what's available. But we would make around 1,000 gallons a day max over the holidays. In the old days they made more but we don't want to know what was in that to keep it fresh.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Revisiting this thread to post this article from the NY Times. I may have to pick up a bottle from my local Bezos outlet.

I can't get to the article without giving them my email and I don't care to share. Is there a link to the oil company.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A cut and paste from the NY Times article (I'm a subscriber, so I guess they already have my email address):

Colive from Cyprus is an innovative olive oil made with olives from either side of the green line dividing the Turkish-occupied north and the independent south. Hasan Siber, an olive oil expert whose family is native to the Greek-speaking southern part of the island, wanted to show the world the quality of Cypriot olive oil and to “bridge the divide in Cyprus,” as he said in an email. He brings the handpicked olives from the harvest in the north across to the south where they are cold-pressed within 24 hours with olives from the south. The greenish-gold oil — mostly from Kypriaki olives, an indigenous variety, with some koroneiki and arbequina — has a grassy aroma and warm richness finishing with a touch of bitterness. It complies with the international regulations for extra virgin and is now available in the United States. The company is donating 10 percent of profits from each bottle to organizations promoting peace and education.

Colive Olive Oil $17.99 to $18.99 for 16.9 ounces; sold at amazon.com and all Whole Foods markets.

And the web page:

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
A cut and paste from the NY Times article (I'm a subscriber, so I guess they already have my email address):

Colive from Cyprus is an innovative olive oil made with olives from either side of the green line dividing the Turkish-occupied north and the independent south. Hasan Siber, an olive oil expert whose family is native to the Greek-speaking southern part of the island, wanted to show the world the quality of Cypriot olive oil and to “bridge the divide in Cyprus,” as he said in an email. He brings the handpicked olives from the harvest in the north across to the south where they are cold-pressed within 24 hours with olives from the south. The greenish-gold oil — mostly from Kypriaki olives, an indigenous variety, with some koroneiki and arbequina — has a grassy aroma and warm richness finishing with a touch of bitterness. It complies with the international regulations for extra virgin and is now available in the United States. The company is donating 10 percent of profits from each bottle to organizations promoting peace and education.

Colive Olive Oil $17.99 to $18.99 for 16.9 ounces; sold at amazon.com and all Whole Foods markets.

And the web page:

When I Google it I found a few places where it's ~$100 for 6 bottles but single bottle on Ebay is $70. :huh:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

And the web page:

Thanks for posting this. Just a side note, I have been to Cypress and it is beautiful it reminds me of a island in the Caribbean. It is no wonder the Greeks and the Turks have been fighting over it for centuries.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This is why Blossoms are what they are and VIST basically disappeared in the US. I knew a dealer for Vist, and after a few years he just couldn’t deal with the hassle.
I get the sense that selling ridiculously priced clothing in Italy fits their customer shrug and hand wave model better.
Screenshot_20211129-214549-01.jpeg

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I'm in the market for a nice affordable and available extra virgin olive oil to use "raw"' in dressings, cold sauces, and as a topping for cooked foods. (I am good on lower end oil to cook with.)

I actually have a very good local source for evoo, but it is just not sustainable from a budget POV. (I use a lot of the stuff.) Ideally I'm looking for something I can just order every three or four months and be good.

Thoughts? And especially first-hand recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

PS Extra credit for organic
You’re kidding, right?
Have you never tried any of the several excellent extra virgin olive oils sold at Costco?
California, Italy, Greece, take your choice. Organic or non-organic. It’s the biggest no brainer going. All of it is good. If I don’t enjoy savoring a soup spoon of it, I don’t cook with it.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You’re kidding, right?
Have you never tried any of the several excellent extra virgin olive oils sold at Costco?
California, Italy, Greece, take your choice. Organic or non-organic. It’s the biggest no brainer going. All of it is good. If I don’t enjoy savoring a soup spoon of it, I don’t cook with it.
You didn't read the thread. No Costco here, for starters.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Screenshot_20211129-221107.png

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Costco Ships ... if using re-occuring items, maybe a consideration?

A year or so back Costco had an article on how they manage closely their supply chain for the olive oils. Story read that they were pretty picky.

Doctor Radio (xm) just had some story today on Olive Oils and the Phenols found within. Missed most the story but understood they add flavor that US consumers don't always care for.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think there’s a Costco in Nova Scotia. Go in that direction. Less traffic. At least you don’t have to portage the canoe and trap beavers to pay for the “non fancy” olive oil.
beaver ... heck, their scent glands are quite usual if baking a vanilla cake!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Reviving thread. Because Starbucks. Yes, Starbucks.

Honestly, never mind the coffees. I gotta play with this aerated oil and (nondairy) cream 'golden foam' stuff. And this olive oil + bitters combo.

I know @Tony S is always fruiting up his salads, this might be a way to do that x10. And the vermouth dressing possibilities are ... astronomical.

EDIT: Absolutely need to try it on oil-rubbed rice.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Reviving thread. Because Starbucks. Yes, Starbucks.

Honestly, never mind the coffees. I gotta play with this aerated oil and (nondairy) cream 'golden foam' stuff. And this olive oil + bitters combo.

I know @Tony S is always fruiting up his salads, this might be a way to do that x10. And the vermouth dressing possibilities are ... astronomical.

EDIT: Absolutely need to try it on oil-rubbed rice.
Do we expect Starbucks to use non rancid olive oil?