• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How about scratches? Do you care?

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
In my distant memory when I used to ride with a local bike club (actually just last summer), during lunch stops, people would ask if it’s ok to lean their bike against mine... :roflmao:

I’m old enough to have owned a couple of steel frames. And growing up, I’ve had my various “Sears special” which, scratches may turned into rust spots shortly. So I understand the practical reason for keeping a bike clean and scratch free. When applicable that is.

But these days, any decent bike frames are rust-proofed. So scratches are purely cosmetic blemishes. Clearly, some people cares more about such cosmetic than others.

The reason I don’t care about scratches...

I spend a good few decades of my cycling years mountain biking, where bikes do battle with rocks and tree branches, often at the losing end. That, with mud and dirt, it’s not always possible to see the full paint job on the frame! That “cavalier” attitude towards scratches eventually spill over to my road bikes. (Doesn’t help that my current “road” bike is actually a gravel bike). I see no practical reason to care about cosmetic blemishes. In any case, it would have been a losing battle anyway.

To further reduce my attention to scratches, none of my bikes have fancy paint work. In fact, most of the frames I owned had rather ghastly graphics! You know, some engineer with bad taste decides the best marketing is to splash neon green brand name on a gray or black background! Not just on the down tube, but all three of the main triangle! I’ve occasionally see really good looking frames that would induce a moment of “Wow!”. But typically, the practical motivation isn’t there to empty my wallet on the spot...

What about you?

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I only mountain bike...so it's kind of like skiing glades, IMO...if you're worried about scratching your equipment you'll never see it's full potential.

With that being said, I try to be careful and minimize the scratches I acquire resting it on trees, travelling with it and moving it around in the basement. But once I'm riding...it's out of my mind.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
What are you a curator? Ski the tops off of them!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I care about scratches unless they're inflicted in battle. Nobody leans their bike up against mine...no offence but a) most people have no idea how to lean a bike up such that it doesn't immediately fall over and scratch itself and everything around it and b) I just generally don't like hanging around people who would lean their bike up against mine!! :ogbiggrin:

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
My bike's all scratched up from riding it wherever and leaning it on trees or walls or dropping on the ground. Whatever.

I once had a Jimmy that I used for off-roading. When I finally sold it, it had dents in it and looked like it had been repeatedly keyed on both sides from driving through heavy brush. Every once in a while I see a spotless SUV with all the toys - brush guard, winch, snorkel and lifted way up - and I know right away it's never been off the pavement.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
over-all statement, bikes are expensive, I worked hard for my money. I think a great bike as rolling artwork. I try to keep all my stuff on great condition, that doesnt mean I baby it or dont use, I am just careful. You can do both. That said, I don't really care about scratches on my MTN bike but again, I am careful when leaning against a tree or laying it down. It gets cleaned after every ride.

I am very careful about my Road and Gravel Bike, they are kept spotless between rides, I meticulously maintain them keeping them cleaned and tuned. the gravel bike is harder to maintain of course but I think its a lot like waxing ski's, I find it therapeutic.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Titanium doesn't scratch. Winner.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Titanium doesn't scratch. Winner.

Titanium indents - it's 10 points softer (Rockwell C) than soft knife steels. And titanium is easily scratched by tool steels - as proved by every frame builder who files their Ti lugs.

Now look up the numbers for chromium and it's alloys.

That chroming that looks so bling on vintage frames? It didn't start as an aesthetic choice. It was the most durable finish available for high wear and high scratch zones like forks and chainstays.

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I always found it shocking that I could deform Ti handlebars with my bare fingers. It's an interesting metal.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Scratches are like scars....they show where we have been and what we have accomplished. Let them tell their side of history and go on more ventures where scars remind of stories. My body and skis and bike have stories to tell happily.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I still dont like scars on my bike. I just added a few on my body last week.
A0B418A1-9DCE-45AC-97C3-E7B003892F80_1_201_a.jpeg
6D78BEE0-2096-4B62-90E5-A9A7BC5175B6_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsor