• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

onstar1

Booting up
Skier
Are the crowds the same or better at some of the IKON distentions like JH and Aspen? Was last year a fluke due to the weather?

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Are the crowds the same or better at some of the IKON distentions like JH and Aspen? Was last year a fluke due to the weather?

I don't think you can tell anything yet and will not be able to for a while. Many of your multi-area passes are blacked out during the holidays. Seen no such thing at the home mountain (which is not on a multi area pass) but the weather has sucked so it not surprising that attendance has been lacking

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
I had a friend who was at Snowmass last week and he said the crowds were low. Not sure about JH, but Grand Targhee never has lines.

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
Aspen didn’t really have many lines over the Christmas holidays.
16,000 skiers a day, over the four mountains and 9% were Ikoners.

Very interesting info. I would have sworn Ikon pass holders would be a lot higher percentage.
At what number (20000,25000) do the crowds become noticeable?

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
At Killington Resort fills up at 10,000. Getting to 15,000 or more per day the place gets crowded.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
CM (IKON) is off the hook busier.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
skied Vail through the holidays - left on the 27th. Skied on to most lifts (front and back) most of the days. Easy to get 20K in before 11:30am. Skied at Ajax, Highlands and Snowmass this past weekend - same deal. <- this week is usually slow though - right after Holidays, but before a Holiday - which is why we do it.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Other than the Tram, Snowbird wasn't crowded at all last weekend. Of course, the road was closed most of the time. ;)

TS
O

onstar1

Booting up
Skier
Trip report from JH 1/8 to 1/15. I was also there in Feb of 2019 with record amounts of snow then. First thing I noticed at the base was less crowding around the tram and gondola; this was probably around 50% less than last year. The lines up in the the mountains not so noticeable, probably around 20% less people. I remember from last year, I had to wait almost an hour every single day because of avy work. This caused crowding at the base. This year, no waiting. All the avy work was completed prior to my arrival. Also, I stayed at Motel 6 and noticed less cars in the parking lot at night. The parking lot at JH wasnt filled up compared to last year.

-Maybe all the IKONers did JH and decided to got to another place this year. Or maybe JHMR and the town did a better job managing the increased crowds.

Crudmaster

tinyurl.com/pungjgt
Skier

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
Taos was CROWDED today, more so than during Christmas. Maybe it’s the new snow, or that only the front was opened. I have been here for 10 days already so I think I will just head home tomorrow and skip the weekend.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Whitefish (still independent) had low crowds this week and superb conditions Monday and Tuesday. Friday got busier but manageable - we're taking Saturday off but will endure the crowd for Sunday and MLK day.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
It will if everybody keeps telling people there are never any lines......lol

Pick a day when it is dumping after a long high pressure system has sat over that corner of the world. Targhee begins to look like every other area.

That was true 20 years ago, before the space between Victor and Driggs became one long strip of rural suburb.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Crystal Mountain has much bigger crowds this year. It's also the first year of new management and accepting IKON passes. Here's a recent story in the Seattle Times:

Did it have anything to do with pent up demand?