• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How can I stop this pinching in achilles area?

stimm

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi all, I got a new pair of boots last year but never got to ski them. Now, getting ready for the season, I put them back on and have a burning/numb feeling on the bottom of my feet after about 15 minutes in them. I did some research and, based on what I can feel when I'm in the boot as well as after I take it off and my feet are still tingling, it seems that the liner may be compressing the nerve ( posterior tibial nerve) around my achilles that feeds the bottom of the foot. I went to see a boot fitter and we heat molded the liner, but this still didn't quite work out the numbness. I couldn't really describe what I thought was pinching me at the time, but now that I can, I am going to go back to the fitter. Basically, I think I will need to get some more space in the liner around the achilles so those nerves don't get pinched. Has anyone done this? If so, how has it affected the fit? I'm worried that I'll give up too much space and then have a sloppy fit around the ankle. All thoughts are appreciated!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi all, I got a new pair of boots last year but never got to ski them. Now, getting ready for the season, I put them back on and have a burning/numb feeling on the bottom of my feet after about 15 minutes in them. I did some research and, based on what I can feel when I'm in the boot as well as after I take it off and my feet are still tingling, it seems that the liner may be compressing the nerve ( posterior tibial nerve) around my achilles that feeds the bottom of the foot. I went to see a boot fitter and we heat molded the liner, but this still didn't quite work out the numbness. I couldn't really describe what I thought was pinching me at the time, but now that I can, I am going to go back to the fitter. Basically, I think I will need to get some more space in the liner around the achilles so those nerves don't get pinched. Has anyone done this? If so, how has it affected the fit? I'm worried that I'll give up too much space and then have a sloppy fit around the ankle. All thoughts are appreciated!
Don't give up. Sometimes it takes a few trips to get it just right. It's easier to push the liner out than bring it back if you go too far. You don't want it too loose in there or you'll end up with heel lift. What shop are you going to?

TS
S

stimm

Skier
Don't give up. Sometimes it takes a few trips to get it just right. It's easier to push the liner out than bring it back if you go too far. You don't want it too loose in there or you'll end up with heel lift. What shop are you going to?
Will do! For the first fitting I worked with Sports Basement (where I bought the boots), but may go up the road to California Ski Company in Berkeley.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Will do! For the first fitting I worked with Sports Basement (where I bought the boots), but may go up the road to California Ski Company in Berkeley.
I don't know about Sports Basement but I know CSC has a good reputation. Did you get a semi-custom or custom footed? That should be on the radar no matter what.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If CalSkiCo cannot get you in, we can set an appointment up in Truckee. If this is your only issue, we should be able to address it.

TS
S

stimm

Skier
I don't know about Sports Basement but I know CSC has a good reputation. Did you get a semi-custom or custom footed? That should be on the radar no matter what.
I have some SuperFeet Redhots in there, which I've always used since I can remember. Originally I thought the pain might have had to do with a lack of support (I have high arches) and poor pressure distribution, but I've never had a problem before so figured it has to be the pinched nerve. Plus, with boots unbuckled, I don't get the same burning/numb feeling.

TS
S

stimm

Skier
If CalSkiCo cannot get you in, we can set an appointment up in Truckee. If this is your only issue, we should be able to address it.
Thanks, Phil! How is your availability looking? CalSkiCo is pretty booked so open to other options.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks, Phil! How is your availability looking? CalSkiCo is pretty booked so open to other options.
Sundays at BlueZone in Truckee, or if you can come to Reno, I can meet you here. Shoot me a PM

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Sounds like either the liner needs to pack in just a bit or there is a C pad that is just pinching the nerve, should be a simple fix.... assuming the boot is the correct size, you have a decent custom foot bed in there

good luck getting it sorted, it shouldn’t take much work

Sponsor

Staff online