• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How do you like your boots buckled?

JChockey22

Putting on skis
Skier
buckles are for noobs first thing I do when I get boots is take them off .... I use ski straps ... seriously though I go instep buckle then top until I get proper tightness then strap then the bottom 2 with only enough tension that I can close them with my pinky

Dos-Equis

Getting on the lift
Skier
I’m a little shocked at all of the people saying they don’t tighten their top buckle much (moderate snug at most).

I need to crank that sucker as much as I can tolerate- were any tighter and I’d start getting numbness/soreness in my foot. Anything less and I feel like I’m losing performance. Maybe it’s a poor boot fit?

Bottom two buckles are very loose, lower ankle cuff buckle is lightly snug. I find overtightening that inhibits my dorsiflexion.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I’m a little shocked at all of the people saying they don’t tighten their top buckle much (moderate snug at most).

I need to crank that sucker as much as I can tolerate- were any tighter and I’d start getting numbness/soreness in my foot. Anything less and I feel like I’m losing performance. Maybe it’s a poor boot fit?

Bottom two buckles are very loose, lower ankle cuff buckle is lightly snug. I find overtightening that inhibits my dorsiflexion.
I'm similar. I run position 4 (top cuff buckle) quite tight for my chicken legs, position 3 moderately snug (but noticeably less tight than 4), and when my boot has shell buckles, position 2 is loose, position 1 loose.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier

For me, my top buckle is definitely one of the tightest (palm pressure?). I hate it when I feel a "gap" in the area around the top buckle. Had to shove a bunch of the cork in my zipfits to that area. My 3rd buckle (second down from the top) is snug. I do have my booster strap snug too.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Lower are moderately tight. Upper 2 tight as comfort allows.
Booster strap get an extra pull when things are on.

Sponsor

Staff online