• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How do you like your boots buckled?

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’m curious about how people buckle their boots. More specifically, how much pressure do you apply to each buckle? I like the toe buckle very loose. If fact, I don’t really use it. I like the next buckle up to be very tight. It helps me transfer foot/ankle pressure. The third buckle up is the second tightest; to keep my heel locked in. The fourth buckle and booster strap are relatively loose unless I’m skiing hard snow. I obviously realize that everyone’s feet (and boots) are different but I’m wondering if there’s a general consensus on buckle pressure preferences?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I never pay attention to the two lower buckles. They are on some tooth that I haven't changed for years and the micro-twist doesn't work anymore. The lower cuff buckle is pretty tight. The upper cuff buckle not quite as tight. The strap is pretty tight as well, but once I've gotten the boots buckled in the AM at the summit they don't get changed until I take them off. At which point all are pretty relaxed. At the beginning of the season I have a tough time getting the upper buckles right, since my legs get fatter over the summer and the selected tooth is leftover from the prior season. At this point in the season I just close them as my leg stops compressing.

I used to need to tighten them after lunch, but I no longer stop for lunch. I have "lunch" whenever I get home. I'll snack on the lift if I get hungry.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not buckled at all? Do you still ski in leather lace up boots from the 60s?

Don't poke the bear. Oops, too late!

Mine go from looser to tighter as they go up. Clog buckles serve decoration purposes only, lower cuff tight, higher-tighter, power strap tightest.

Same, basically.

But if the lower two buckles are too loose, snow can sneak in.

With regards to that, shout out to Nordica for using replaceable toe dams. Takes about seven seconds and a few bucks to put a fresh one in, which I intend to do for next season.

I know, typical Ski Talk equipment junkie!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

How do you like your boots buckled?​

Not.

[On soapbox here.] I get a kick out of instructors who say "Lets ski a run with your boots unbuckle for a run or two" to their students. In most cases, these instructors are in a high flex, low volume STIFF boot that is a performance fit and many times the students are in ill fitting boots that are too big. Let the instructors ski in these boots and lets see how they do in those drills. [/On soapbox here.]

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
This joke never gets old:

1678199872567.png

Original: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/23-...the-year-of-the-boa.29082/page-28#post-832244

Still waiting for pics of Booster strap garters, tho.

DesmoDog

Getting off the lift
Skier
The one on the top of the foot is set so I can just feel pressure from the boot when it's latched.

The back one is set so things are snug and the boot doesn't feel loose. It's really the only one that gets used on a regular basis.

There are no other buckles on them.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
For general skiing, middle tight for the lowers and barely closed for the uppers.

If I'm going to run gates I'll crank them all down for that one run. My feet feel best with them just tight enough to be engaged but not cranked down..

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Starting from the top buckle (cuff) to the bottom buckle (toe). The #'s represent which slot the bail goes into. (#1 is loosest, #5 is tightest)

Right boot: 3, 3, 2, 2
Left boot: 2, 2, 2, 2 My left calf is thicker than my right calf.

Power strap: As tight as I can pull it.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
For me there are two answers but first I have to say I have a high volume foot. A wide front foot, a high instep/arch, a wide ankle and heel. The first few runs of the day on greens and blues my toe and instep closed but no pressure, the third and fourth closed with finger tight, Boot strap tight. The second tightening when I ski a few black diamond trails I set the front two finger tight and the last two palm tight and firm.
I am editing this to add that the second adjustment is also for skiing on ice because I like the extra support on the East Coast ICE days.

Last edited:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not too tight. Not to loose. I like 'em buckled just right. Most days I set and forget. Occasionally I will buckle down the lower cuff buckle a notch or so if skiing more aggressively in bums and steeps. But if I'm skiing more softly I can leave them alone. I have not yet gotten to that Grump-like zen state where one skis with buckles unbuckled.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Not buckled at all? Do you still ski in leather lace up boots from the 60s?

Awww c'mon dude. Are you trying to kill me? I am just a short fat old guy who have trouble bending over to get to the buckles. Laces would kill me in no time flat. Maybe when they come out with a blue tooth version of the boa thing.

But like Phil said, don't try this at home.

Honestly, if the boot realllllllly fits. the buckles are superfluous for a grocery run down the hill. Even through bumps. If I am on a pair of GS skis going 10/10 then yeah, I'll buckle them.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Critical caveat: free heel boots with bellows i.e. softer than stiff fixed heel boots
Also: strictly groomers

Finger tight top to bottom for one run and one run ONLY, then tighten to slightly uncomfortable with buckle lever (GIRD won't allow bending over and effort to palm force); repeat through out day as needed to hover just below the pain threshold.
Unbuckled would be ..... hysterical bare footing.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
[On soapbox here.] I get a kick out of instructors who say "Lets ski a run with your boots unbuckle for a run or two" to their students. In most cases, these instructors are in a high flex, low volume STIFF boot that is a performance fit and many times the students are in ill fitting boots that are too big. Let the instructors ski in these boots and lets see how they do in those drills. [/On soapbox here.]

Of course, having the thing unbuckled for a run or two doesn't actually lose that set of students much of anything, and might actually give them the ability to sense things like lifting the little toe to tip the ski.

Sponsor