• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How do you like your boots buckled?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Awww c'mon dude. Are you trying to kill me? I am just a short fat old guy who have trouble bending over to get to the buckles. Laces would kill me in no time flat. Maybe when they come out with a blue tooth version of the boa thing.

But like Phil said, don't try this at home.

Honestly, if the boot realllllllly fits. the buckles are superfluous for a grocery run down the hill. Even through bumps. If I am on a pair of GS skis going 10/10 then yeah, I'll buckle them.
I have said in other threads that the buckles are more about closing the boot than fitting the boot so I understand what you mean.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am just a short fat old guy who have trouble bending over to get to the buckles. Laces would kill me in no time flat. Maybe when they come out with a blue tooth version of the boa thing.
Knowing what bluetooth is vs actually knowing how to use it are two completely different things ;)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Honestly, if the boot realllllllly fits. the buckles are superfluous for a grocery run down the hill. Even through bumps. If I am on a pair of GS skis going 10/10 then yeah, I'll buckle them.
^^^100%^^^
My ankles and feet are doing more of the work and balance than my knees and upper legs are most of the time. If someone wants to time me I'll buckle them down to get a little more snug, but my boots fit pretty well and are stiff enough without cranking them tight..

TS

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would think that if youre leaving the top loose, youre probably in a boot that's actually too stiff
Possibly, I ski mostly ungroomed and bumps where a looser cuff gives more range of movement. I have upper cuff and strap tight on the groomed. I know others who adjust likewise depending upon what terrain and conditions they are skiing.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
All ski boots: lower two buckles just tight enough to say they are buckled and snow won't get in the flaps. Power strap tight.
Previous boots: upper buckles pretty fn tight, tighter when doing something I shouldn't.
Latest boots: upper buckles surprisingly not tight at all, but not loose either. Even with them done up medium firm the boots still feel firm and don't let my foot or ankle move around inside the boot. Yes I can wriggle my toes (in all boots). P.S. I try not to do things I shouldn't now.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Just enough to to keep the snow out on the bottom two.

Top two - finger'ish tight vs palm tight - just so the buckles don't rattle around or feel loose when i jiggle them. it take about 4 runs to get them to the optimum place and my heel all the way back in w/ progressively taking the slack out moving up that ladder. IF I go straight to the 'end state' out of the gate - its game over and foot goes to sleep. After 4 runs - never touch them again.

I don't unbuckle on lifts or standing around.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I never really thought about it then I realized I’m always tweaking. It depends on temp and conditions . If it’s cold and there are bumps, I’ll often loosen the booster and maybe the top cuff buckle . The only thing I don’t mess with is the lower cuff /instep buckle. Like others, I don’t even think about the clog buckles and if the boots fit right you can ski with just the instep buckle for a zen like KG “ grocery run” :D

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've already adjusted my boots so all my buckles go on the first notch. I don't touch them again until the end of the day.
but I do have a thing about putting the left one on first if that counts.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Funny thing is that most right-handed people put on their left shoe/boot first, while vastly superior left-handed people start with the right.

Citation: I read that somewhere long ago.
Do you remember the old Archie and Meathead routine about putting on two socks and then two shoes? Vs. sock, shoe, sock shoe?

skimore1

Booting up
Instructor
I’m curious about how people buckle their boots. More specifically, how much pressure do you apply to each buckle? I like the toe buckle very loose. If fact, I don’t really use it. I like the next buckle up to be very tight. It helps me transfer foot/ankle pressure. The third buckle up is the second tightest; to keep my heel locked in. The fourth buckle and booster strap are relatively loose unless I’m skiing hard snow. I obviously realize that everyone’s feet (and boots) are different but I’m wondering if there’s a general consensus on buckle pressure preferences?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Bottom two just enough to keep the snow out plus a whisper. Top two pretty snug at the start of the day but they loosen some. Power strap pretty snug to keep the tongue against my shin. Top buckle first, then strap, then flex, then the second down, then the clog buckles. Then the top buckle again. Then ski. If I do it right I don't have to touch them again.

eric100

Putting on skis
Skier
Bottom 2 buckles, barely on to keep the snow out and prevent the buckles from flopping around and catching on something. Upper 2 buckles and strap: snug and moderately tight as otherwise I am prone to shin bang.

skimore1

Booting up
Instructor
Pretty much like you do but depends on the temperature I tighten my top two fairly tight when it’s warmer as well as booster and looper when colder. Not to much of a difference though.

Sponsor

Staff online