• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Poll How has the EPIC and/or IKON Pass affected you?

How has the EPIC and/or IKON affected you?

• Total voters

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
There has been a lot of discussion about VR's expansion, and all of the opinions on if it's a good thing, a bad thing, or just a thing. It got me wondering how many people have bought into the Epic or the IKON model for skiing and how many people are actively avoiding it.

How has the model affected you as a skier? Has it made skiing more affordable, less affordable, more choices of places to go, or less places to choose from?

Any other ways its affected you?

Discuss.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought the Ikon because it had most of the places I go to, and works out cheaper than Mountain Collective. But I did ski several places that were not on it, as well as a lot that were.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have both along with an independent pass for Mt. Rose.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
My main resorts aren't affiliated with IKON or epic so I don't need a pass with them. Killington offers a spring pass so that's what I get for there. I may buy ikon next spring mainly because it would cover any time during the season for killington, an out west destination our ski club will go and any other days (Loon, Stratton, Sugarbush) are gravy.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There should be an option for crippling indecision. Skied Stevens for years, but there are rumors Vail killed off the RV lot. Lots of people have switched to Crystal due to the Ikon, so we're worried about crowds and their first-come-first-serve RV situation is already bananas (fills up for the weekend on Thursdays). We've considered committing to the Baker drive to be at a resort that really fits us. Siblings went Ikon and we're likely headed to Big Sky for our family trip, which would be nice to combine with JH.

Ideally, we'd avoid them, but something tells me this season, we'll end up with both.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have the RCR super pass. It includes 4 RCR resorts (part of the EPIC package, but not owned by Vail) and one IKON resort (not owned by Alterra). As a result of this unholy alliance, I don't get discounts from either group. But, I get unlimited skiing at my favorite local destinations.

I won't travel to an EPIC or IKON destination if I need to pay full price on the day tickets.

Mountain Collective and other discounts don't seem to be worth it for me.

So, if I ski off my pass, it won't be to an EPIC or IKON place....other than Sunshine or Revelstoke, but those aren't too pricey.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
We have IKON passes and skied a lot more days than we normally would have because of it. Did a lot of areas that I would not have otherwise gone to. Also did not mind if we quit early because we were not paying the rack rate. Took a couple of extra trips out west with the great snow because we had days to use.
BTW they usually stop selling the passes sometime in the fall ( both, IKON and EPIC), that makes it hard to hedge your bet to see if it is going to be a good snow year or not before you buy.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No benefit of either to me.
My home mountain, Sun Valley, was part of MCP through this year, and now will be affiliated with Epic. Still have to buy an expensive Sun Valley pass and now get 50% discount at Epic resorts instead of MCP resorts, which I prefer,

rustypouch

Getting on the lift
Skier
No difference. I get a staff pass with great reciprocals. Don't have the time or money to travel in the winter.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've moaned enough about being from midwest with limited travel time .. so losing the Winter Park RMSP+ with 6 days at Steamboat to the IKON base with 5 days was a losing preposition that I took in hopes to minimize loss at the Boat. (damn - moaning again!)

But if anyone in the industry who can write off on taxes .. and do ... very cool for you!

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Can I change my votes?

Kidding only. It’s not a scientific research. So a small amount of inaccuracy won’t matter.

Coming fro RMSP to MCP, Ikon is more expensive. But it includes more mountains. So I willingly pay more to “upgrade” my season. As a result, I skied some mountains I didn’t before due to high day ticket cost. (THAT last one wasn’t on the survey)

But I definitely avoided mountains not on my pass.

I switch passes year to year ( 19/20 season happens to be Epic pass season). No point to pay top dollar to ski Jackson or Snowbird etc., when I did it “for free” last winter and will be able to again ski them “for free” starting March of 2020 anyway.

Despite owning RMSP+ for many years. I still don’t have a “home” mountain. All my season passes had been multiple mountain passes. So you can say I’m predisposed to benefit from Ikon/Epic, as these not-so-new-to-me passes are old hats for me.

As for independent not on either pass? I do ski them, particularly in the Catskill which is closest to my part-time home. But I’ll be honest, with Hunter on Epic this winter, I’m afraid the “other” catskill mountain probably gets fewer visits from me.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
my Whistler senior local pass is now less than what i used to spend on getting a multiple day edge card, the discounted other days and the spring add on.
Not complaining,
On the road trips have always taken advantage of the other local cards in this area, often we get comp tickets or take a hotel deal, occasionally even pay the window rate. But it's pretty easy to get deals in this region and day tickets for most of BC and Alberta are not nearly as expensive as south of the line. So many deals are available that upgrading a cheap Whistler senior pass to an Epic card for a couple of hundred dollars isn't worth it and would not include many of the other areas I ski anyway.

Where I ski has been the same for decades but if i was planning on travelling to some of those expensive US resorts I certainly would look at all the deals

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Copper is unlimited. While Killington is limited to 7 and 5 days
After not bothering to research, I figured the unlimited were owned and the limited were partners. Surprised that it isn't how it works.

TBH, I am not a fan of Powdr Corp. However, they have appeared to improve over the years after they lose Park City to Vail.
MIght have been a wake up call, y'think?

Gotta start earlier next season and get a bunch more days in.
Get with it, you slacker millennial!

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Well, I may just say to hell with it and go back to Europe again next season, but if I do go N.Am it depends on the travel.
Shortest nonstops: YVR, Epic Veteran and ski Whistler
SEA, forget passes and do a road trip to Baker, Red & Whitewater
or hop to GEG for Red, Whitewater, Schweitzer, Silver & Whitefish
nonstop: SFO, probably Base Ikon for Squaw/Alpine & Mammoth
long but nonstop: DEN, Base Ikon for Steamboat, Aspen & Copper
(tho Epic Vet for unlimited Vail, BC, Breck, Keystone maybeain't too shabby)
long, but there's Alta: SLC, probably MCP for 4 days at Alta & Snowbird, then half price (lost the Snowbasin/Sun Valley days, but Jackson still in play)
finally there's YYC, longest trip but love Lake Louise and willing to give Sunshine another chance, likely MCP

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Without ikon I wouldn't have skied all these places last winter Trembant, Sugarbush, Killington, Stratton, Loon, Sunday River, I had never been to 4 of the places on the list until this past year.. I also wouldn't have seen the women's world cup. We were able to choose between Maine and Vermont depending on where the better snow was each week.

I miss Cannon (yes you read that correctly) and would have skied Mad River instead of Sugarbush for a day or two if I didn't have the pass. I emailed Magic about a discount day pass but they directed me to their website.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I emailed Magic about a discount day pass but they directed me to their website.

Magic sells discount daily tickets via their website so that's where to go. If you ever ski Thursdays they have throwback Thursdays for $29. You can also buy a throwback card for $129 which gives you $29 lift tickets any day of the season. Send me a message if you are planning to visit because I can likely get you a buddy pass for $35.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online