• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
Corn has to be off-piste. Slush has to be on-piste.
Corn is defined crystals, or pieces might be a better word. Like…corn kernels, but never? that big. I don’t think it matters where it is anymore than it matters where powder is. There’s not off piste powder and on piste powder.
If you ski it next to bare woods, you hear a woosh as the spray hits the leaves on the ground.

To me, “slush” is the glop with the consistency of wet Farina that sticks to the car when thrown.
But “slush” is often used for wet corn, like “slush bumps”.

Reactions: nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Corn is defined crystals, or pieces might be a better word. Like…corn kernels, but never? that big. I don’t think it matters where it is anymore than it matters where powder is. There’s not off piste powder and on piste powder.
If you ski it next to bare woods, you hear a woosh as the spray hits the leaves on the ground.

To me, “slush” is the glop with the consistency of wet Farina that sticks to the car when thrown.
But “slush” is often used for wet corn, like “slush bumps”.

I think of corn growing regions like wine growing regions. Colorado isn’t very good for either - we are too high in elevation for the kind of off-piste (backcountry) corn we see in other places. We just have the wrong mix of snowpack to surface temps in the prime growing season. I suspect this correlates to having some of the best facet growing conditions on the planet (also snowpack to surface temps).

So we do have to get our corn mostly on piste, as slush, with grooming a required ingredient for crystallization. To answer the question how is your corn in Colorado? Mostly GMO.

And since GMO can only be found at the supermarket, we have to share with anybody else who wants ride the escalator to go shopping. :P

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
So ........ corn until August?
Usually any snowfields or patches that are left turn to a summer snowpack by June or July. By now the snow is usually sun cupped & dirty but can still ski well, kind of like corn but fully consolidated. The difference is the consolidated remains fully supportable & consistent even in the middle of a warm summer day.
E5524ADA-B5A2-448D-A12A-82E5D7D95B77.jpeg

I’m sure @Stev can describe it better than I.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was commenting on Slowrider's shot of Bachelor, admittedly a little late to the gate.
And that's Patch skiing, which I consider a distinct subset of corn, possibly a different species altogether. While it definitely has some corn like characteristics, I view it as more of a convergent evolution kind of thingogwink

Or maybe beyond corn is a better way to look at it, so maybe the next evolutionary step/survival of the fittest flake kind of thing!

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Usually any snowfields or patches that are left turn to a summer snowpack by June or July. By now the snow is usually sun cupped & dirty but can still ski well, kind of like corn but fully consolidated. The difference is the consolidated remains fully supportable & consistent even in the middle of a warm summer day.
View attachment 169796

We’re getting deep into it now.

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
View attachment 169796

You did a fine job of describing things. Let me think about any words I could add. Until then, here is a photo of Zooey and I practicing our synchronized corn snow spraying earlier today.
IMG7940crcrs052222.jpg

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
You did a fine job of describing things. Let me think about any words I could add. Until then, here is a photo of Zooey and I practicing our synchronized corn snow spraying earlier today.
View attachment 169817
This is what a corn growing region looks like vs. what I posted. Don’t make me post the horror of St. Mary’s.