• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Time for the new corn harvest. :D

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Turns out I've been skiing corn when I thought it was cream cheese or marbles.:doh:

Posaune

sliding
Skier
No pics, but we had a great corn harvest last weekend at Baker. On Friday it rained so hard that it eliminated most of the moguls on the advanced terrain; smooth as a baby's (ahem). On Saturday it was sunny and an hour or so after opening the iciness that had developed overnight had changed to firm with corn on top. Smooth and yummy, we took lap after lap on the stuff. We really Jonesed over Gunner's Bowl which was closed due to avalanche danger because the snow was so loaded with water from the deluge the day before. Well, to our amazed and wondering eyes, on Sunday they opened the bowl and it was another incredible bout of super smooth corn in the sun. What a way to end a season with a one, two punch!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Earth Day
F0E69B6B-4F58-45A7-8A42-C4B8FDE5C384.jpeg

4926583C-823D-46C7-9381-8EFC5A337523.jpeg

B8C5A46C-F3AB-4767-956B-65C08DD58C0B.jpeg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bump for @Mike King

James

Out There
Instructor
The corn has been quite good at Killington the last 4 days. If you want to harvest a smooth field though, you need to go at 9am and maybe you'll have an hour. This is midweek. It’s not going into the freezer at night the last coupe days.
Otherwise, it’s corn coated bumps. Which are quite nice.
4BAF7190-596A-4D00-859F-1219986D0418.jpeg

The day they mowed the middle down and it set up. This is still when they were small. Corn over a solid frozen corn base on steep is something special. Turn in the corn pile and hear the woosh as the corn splatters.

2F225C3D-AA70-4D18-A910-9CD2B8EB3E60.jpeg

Unharvested mounds. These were deceptive. Exceptionally deep, you could just come to a stop in it. They were difficult before they became a tossed corn salad from skier traffic.

D1608CC7-0E9D-4E5C-98C0-8B6F6D31FD19.jpeg

Many you can go straight in with a soft tipped fat ski and get nice spray. Nothing like the sound of splattered corn.

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
The corn at MT Hood reached epic levels Thursday for me anyway. I keep saying it's my best day ever each time I ski this season.
Arrived at the Mountain expecting winds out of the east at 8 mph. But when we arrived the temp was good at 20f or so but the winds were howling. Only 3 out of 6 lifts were operating.
I skied with my friend until things started to get sticky at 1130 or so and he called it a day. I gave him the car key and said "I'll see you in an hour or so. Shortly thereafter the resort opened another lift at a slightly higher elevation that serviced one of the terrain parks. As I rode the lift up the boarders and skiers were tearing it up under the the lift.
For the next 45 minutes I was standing on my downhill ski making moderate S turns. Sometimes one pole per turn, sometimes two or three quick short radius ones.
The liftline was long so more people were willing to share ride so I got in 5 runs before I went back to car and rescued my friend.
The last run I made a high speed J hook turn up a interconnecting slope where the lift wasn't operating due to wind.
Creamy, glistening snow awaited and I made a set of short radius turns down hill. Did a hockey stop to admire my handiwork abd rewarded myself by blowing out of my left ski and landing on the soft snow. The best part of this was there were no witnesses:)

Last edited:

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a snowmaking engineering idea a while back: Instead of freezing fine flakes, how about a machine that would shoot out frozen kernels? If corn is the quintessential skiing surface, why not just make that?

James

Out There
Instructor
I had a snowmaking engineering idea a while back: Instead of freezing fine flakes, how about a machine that would shoot out frozen kernels? If corn is the quintessential skiing surface, why not just make that?
That would be frozen granular. It turns to sugar. Meh to poor.
Corn needs to be canned with water. The niblets need some lube. If you could figure out that for spring, ok.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mt Rose has had stellar corn for several weeks now, with a 2-day break for a foot of fluffy fresh. Some days have gotten pretty soggy by late afternoon, but I've been on tele for the past week, so my legs are done by noon.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mt Rose has had stellar corn for several weeks now, with a 2-day break for a foot of fluffy fresh. Some days have gotten pretty soggy by late afternoon, but I've been on tele for the past week, so my legs are done by noon.

Hmmmmm ...... so I don't need to blame old age any more for my regular half days?!? Excellent!

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor

A ski area in NH had that for a while. I think there was an Egan involved.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Rain soaked groomed Superstar was delicious on Wednesday morning. Due to the forecast hardly anyone showed up. Love those magical private ski area daze. Picture is the really steep section from pole #6 down to #4 taken just before our noontime beer break. Rain soaked corn is almost as good as sun baked corn. Trail stays fairly mogul free without any skiers.

IMG_0976.jpg

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
@Idris, was there any lift service for you this season? Nice video!

Idris

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Idris, was there any lift service for you this season? Nice video!

None, of the regular sort. I did get pre season as part of my Patrol training, but even that was 1/2 what it would be in a normal year. Club de Sport have been alowed to run lifts for race training and the Guides school also had a lift served for one week.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How is your corn?

Sponsor