• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Had some corn for the last day of April
6518672E-6BE1-41FF-9827-CB754AEB7C39.jpeg

& the first week of May
B3296B73-57DB-40A1-BB7B-C0E798A18CDC.jpeg

6E9A5BCB-446F-47BC-A5C6-2899FE5C0275.jpeg

but then it started snowing again!
May 11th…
406F0CD4-626F-4CA3-B897-D1AE5FFB5321.gif

Last edited:

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
At Killington on Friday we had an old friend who flew in from her Big Sky home to ride The Beast. She commented that Big Sky doesn't get the amazing spring corn that we enjoy at Killington. Many of the top shelf spring corn days in North America happen right here on the East Coast.

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
Damn. Where are you?
Southern Monashees. We lack cold overnight temperatures so the snowpack is usually an isothermal mess in spring with not much of a corn window. This year the snow hasn't stopped with the forecast calling for another 15in this weekend. 100% coverage down to about 5500ft.

4ster

Instructor
Unexpected cool temperatures had me out at Carson Pass again this morning. I did a lot more skinning & hiking than actual skiing but the corn was good ogsmile
B86E9E70-CD77-4F6B-A77A-C8CF5C218C67.jpeg

169205EF-50B7-41CC-96E0-317BE88E8CF0.jpeg

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
... snow level comes down to 3k tomorrow.... 2-4" at Snoqualmie, 12-18" for Stevens Pass. Crazy...

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
What is corn? I know it when I ski it. I’ve had the most consistent and high quality corn in the Sierra, though late season storms can mess it up. Also some great corn late season on the classic Mt Washington NH lines, especially after a good rain refresh. Advantage on MtW, when the corn is in it can last a long time (doesn’t go soupy over time, though does lock up once in shadow). Don’t ask me the physics of it, as I say, I know it when I ski it.

4ster

Instructor
What is corn?

From earlier in this thread. (you will need to click to expand)…
Corn is a way overused term. In the perfect state, It is smooth and the water content is obvious, and by the definition of how it forms, it can’t readily exist in skier traffic areas, i.e. resorts, because of the disruption of the grain to water structure required to create a corn cluster.

7D60B2AD-010B-4BBA-92AE-D6C178558331.png
Then there is the best of corn season, when the Firnspiegel forms...
:yeah:
View attachment 43411

http://www.avalanche-center.org/Education/glossary/firnspiegel.php
"Firnspiegel

Also: Firn Spiegel, firn mirror, glacier fire

An ice crust formed on the snow surface on sunny, cold days. The sun's heat penetrates the surface snow layers and causes melt around the grains beneath the surface but meltwater at the surface is refrozen forming a thin layer of ice. This requires just the right heat balance.

Firnspiegel is highly reflective and mirror-like, giving it the colloquial names of firn mirror and glacier fire.."

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Unexpected cool temperatures had me out at Carson Pass again this morning. I did a lot more skinning & hiking than actual skiing but the corn was good ogsmile
I want some of that corn at Carson Pass! Was out near Mt Rose today but I have a mental block against those skinnier nordic bc skis with NNN bindings.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I want some of that corn at Carson Pass! Was out near Mt Rose today but I have a mental block against those skinnier nordic bc skis with NNN bindings.
Not following.

Sponsor

Staff online