• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How long are your poles?

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
187cm and have gradually moved down from 130 to 127 to 125, feels about right now

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
5'10" and using 115cm/46" poles for the last 4 seasons. Used to be longer but kept reducing over the years and finally settled in this size.

@zircon You said your are 5'4.5" and were already using 115cm poles and went even longer for bumps? I would have expected exactly the opposite.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
6' and using 120's for regular skiing, when I go up hill I bring the adjustable and run them around 123-125 depending on how I feel.

I recently tried to change up pole length just to try something new and see what would happen.. moving up to about 122 felt pretty good and I could have stayed there, I've just been using the same set of Goode poles for 15ish years and changing from that felt weird.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m pretty much your exact height and use 115s. I also have a really short torso with disproportionately long limbs. Have been considering whether my poles are too long in the bumps recently. I have an adjustable set of poles that I use for hiking, and have been meaning to bring them out one day to mess around with length in the bumps and see what feels good. I can’t really imagine going longer, but if it works for you it works for you!

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm 6'1", use 110-115cm for all things down, but as long as my adjustable will go (130+?) for uphill and flat polling.

NESkiBum

Booting up
Skier
5'9" - 46" poles and find most comfortable in various conditions. Don't get much powder in the east...atleast not after the first couple of runs.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is really interesting: I'm seeing a number of tall folks using shorter poles. While I understand the variables involved (terrain, body morphology, etc) it does surprise me to see guys 5'11" - 6' using the same length pole as I am at 5'7".

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I’m 5’ 8” and my poles are currently 46.5 inches. I actually made them a bit longer than they were( maybe 1/2 -3/4”) when I changed the baskets. They seemed a tad short on steep terrain before but were now perfect at JH.

James

Out There
Instructor
Parents are extremely resistant on pole length. They’ll listen about ski length, but pole length has been handed down by stone tablet and will not be changed.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
For the scatter plot!

1583972135609.png

Fairly tight grouping.... as you'd expect. Not too many outliers... the main one is probably whoever is 6' tall using 135 poles.

I took the first or main size if people gave multiple, depending on what they said. And converted everything to cm, which introduces just a little bit of rounding error.

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
I actually had to go measure each of my poles. My impression was that my favorite poles were really long but they are actually only 121cm and my normal powder day poles are 126cm. The other poles I thought were much shorter are actually.....120cm. The 115's are missing a basket and the stopper so I can't remember the last time I used them. I do have adjustable poles and now you guys are making me think I should mess with different pole lengths to the short side of things. I'm 5'11 with relatively long monkey arms.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
cut my current poles slightly too short (for the bumps in 1971) but have managed to adapt since.

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
TLDR; I'm 6'. I think I'll settle on 48"/122cm poles.

My poles are marked 50"/125cm. Except 50" is 127cm - it turns out they 125cm = 49.2" . They've felt too long for a while so I finally trimmed them down to about 123.5cm before my last trip. Problem was they still felt a little long. Confirmed by trying 48"/122cm poles for a couple of day which felt more intuitive and dynamic. So I guess it's back to the pipe cutter...

Sponsor

Staff online