• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How long to let the wax cool?

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
So... Toko's Willie Wiltz advises that you should let the hot wax slowly cool and "cure" overnight.

Some sources on Youtube gives it about 20 minutes minimum to 1 hour minimum? Or when it's cool to the touch... but not like the kids on youtube that hot wax, and then throw it outside in the freezing weather to let it cool in 5 minutes....

What's your take?

I personally usually let it cool for an hour before I scrape, since I'm doing other stuff in between, or just chilling on the couch and drinking a beer, or out of laziness, do let it sit overnight, as I'm procrastinating, and finish it the next day.

If I worked at ski shop, I'm sure things will be different.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I let it cool overnight usually. Worst case 5 hours or so if I didn't do the first phase when I should have. I also close the utility room door so the room is really warm where they are "cooling" to let them cool slowly. My husband runs the house down around 63!

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
If you are in hurry, 2h is minimum. Otherwise leave it over night and scrap it off next day. It should cool down slowly at room temperature not outside at -10c. I mean you won't destroy skis or wax if you let it cool down outside at -10c, but waxing gives better results if you let it cool down slowly.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I usually let it sit overnight, but I have waited to 20 minutes before. If I don't really care. :)

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll wax late afternoon, let sit for several hours, then reheat the wax mid-evening or before I go to bed. I use a Scott Shop Towel under the last iron pass. The next morning requires minimal scraping and then brush out as desired.

Not sure if the wax re-heat does anything but I sleep better knowing so ;)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Lots of times I don't scrape until I decide to take the skis and use them. They sit in the quiver waxed and not scraped. Sometimes I let it cool until l'm clicked in and skiing to the lift for the first run of the day :rolleyes:

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m an “Overnighter”….if I’m skiing that pair the next day.…..or I just let them sit with “storage wax” for the next time I ski them. (3 ski quiver…using Toko Red, Blue or Yellow depending on temps.)

*I have been using Toko Liquid Paraffin so far this year….works very well in all the different temps I’ve skied in this winter. So easy to just spray on/brush out. I just have to get over the “guilt” of not ironing/scraping/brushing….

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Twenty minutes seems like plenty. Once the wax and the entire ski have attained room temperature, nothing more is going to change significantly.

But I don't really time things. I seem to tune and wax in groups of 3 pair, so by the time ski #6 is complete, I'll scrape and brush ski #1.

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
How do you know what the correct amount of time to wait before scraping is? People seem to have their set answers. Is this based on proven results (direct comparisons of ski a. vs. ski b.) or just the way you’ve always done it? My guess is that for most folks, it really doesn’t make much difference as long as you get the wax on and then scrape & brush.

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
How do you know what the correct amount of time to wait before scraping is? People seem to have their set answers. Is this based on proven results (direct comparisons of ski a. vs. ski b.) or just the way you’ve always done it? My guess is that for most folks, it really doesn’t make much difference as long as you get the wax on and then scrape & brush.

I just learned from this thread that there would be unevenly saturated area on the base which might be due to the lack of long enough (over night maybe?) time to cool down.

I tend to scrape off within an hours or so which resulted in the sporadically saturated base area as shown in the above thread.
There's nothing wrong while skiing but that just bothers me when I have a final look at it after waxing..

TS
S

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pretty sure the only time I scrape that fast is when I'm scraping CH4 or LF4 ('warmscrape'). Of course it probably took 30 minutes to get a proper melt going.
CH4 or LF4 is a pretty hard wax for low temperatures, so the melt temperature is something like 155°C

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I usually do the no scrape method absorbing the excess with paper towels. So I guess the wax film stays on the skis until I ski them again.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Put the paper towel under the iron on your last pass melting the wax. It absorbs most of it and leaves a nice smooth film that can be skied off easily.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I like the sound of that. Do you just hot wax then wipe with paper towels?
i believe most people interpret this as the fiberlene method.

See video here at 2:15 (although most of the wax is already off, they are just deming the technique). the rest of the video is also gold too demonstrating other techniques. Such as hot touch or warm/hot scrape.

If you need more longer videos on this technique i am sure the resident tuning folks can provide you with seminar length videos, but you can figure it out from concept.

I think you can think of it like wiping down your dining table with water. how does it make sense to use a solid hunk of metal to push the liquid around?
You need a sponge/paper towel that has absorbancy, to both absorb and move excess blobs and leave a thin and even final layer down.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online