• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How Long Will The Snow Last In Tahoe -- Spring 2023?

Don't Skip Leg Day

Getting off the lift
Skier
With record breaking snow this year, it has been an epic season in Tahoe. But how long will the snow actually last? Given the temperatures this and next week, will the snow disappear sooner than expected?

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Some pictures from Kirkwood on Thursday, my fifth day in a row alternating between Kirkwood and Heavenly.
First is snowbank with a lot of sand from snowblowers next to parking lot, taken from base of chair 6.
0001KWSnowbank.JPG

Stairs cut into snowbank to get to friend's house that his family built 48 years ago. Kirkwood has been open 50 years.
6550CabinSteps.JPG

The two houses next to his.
6551Neighbor1.JPG

6552Neighbor2.JPG

Note there is smoke coming out of chimney of second home. Kirkwood could easily host a 4th of July race this Summer. I attended one in Eagle Bowl on one of their first two years. We rode chair 1 up, then hiked down at least partially on snow in tennis shoes as they were not downloading.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Stairs cut into snowbank to get to friend's house that his family built 48 years ago. Kirkwood has been open 50 years.

As someone who works on houses, Im very curious what the siding, paint, roofs, etc will look like when these houses reappear.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As someone who works on houses, Im very curious what the siding, paint, roofs, etc will look like when these houses reappear.
I think that depends on a lot of things- Mostly the amount of moisture on or around the building envelope as the thaw begins. Does the house have a thermal/ vapor barrier? , the internal/external temperature differences etc. I’d be concerned about ice dams on roofs if there are a lot of warm days and below freezing nights or another warm spell followed by below 32 high temps in a mostly un -heated house. Paint? I hope not much that’s a stain environment.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ice dams, for sure. I've a friend with a first floor condo whose ceiling was destroyed this winter because an ice dam caused a water/melting snow leak into an upper condo, etc.

Last edited:

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does anyone know how much new snow at Mt rose in the last week?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does anyone know how much new snow at Mt rose in the last week?
Opensnow has last 3 days estimated as 3,9,1 = 13". BA says he will do a bonus post season wrapup next week, including totaling up this last storm and the season if you're interested in stats

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Interested because i want to bc ski tomorrow
If you're looking to ski at Rose you'll need to hike. Sunday was the last day.

DeeC

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
It's my first season with AT skis, and I'm excited to do some touring.

Sponsor