• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How many pairs for a ski trip?

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How many pairs of skis do you take on a trip? Before I found a certain ski forum, I had 1 pair of skis for home and 1 pair for away. Life was easy. Lately on a plane trip I have been taking 2 pr. I now some of you take more. Does anyone still travel with one pair?

Next question is how do you make the decision on what to take? In the past I have studied the weather, both what they have and what they are supposed to get, the type of terrain at the destination, historical data, and invariably I ski 1 day on one pair and the rest of the week on the other, always wondering if I shouldn't have brought a different pair
Am I overthinking this? Maybe I just have too many skis

Reactions: BMC

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
2, but if I'm heading back to the upper midwest, 1.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
How many pairs of skis do you take on a trip? Before I found a certain ski forum, I had 1 pair of skis for home and 1 pair for away. Life was easy. Lately on a plane trip I have been taking 2 pr. I now some of you take more. Does anyone still travel with one pair?

Next question is how do you make the decision on what to take? In the past I have studied the weather, both what they have and what they are supposed to get, the type of terrain at the destination, historical data, and invariably I ski 1 day on one pair and the rest of the week on the other, always wondering if I shouldn't have brought a different pair
Am I overthinking this? Maybe I just have too many skis

Depends where I am going, conditions and the current forecast. Its usually a last minute decision.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As many as you can fit in the car! :ogbiggrin: In all seriousness, flying-one pair of mid fats (88 or so) plus my wife's skis. I don't want to deal with more than one ski bag. Driving-carvers, mid fats and wide skis. If I'm heading east, I might throw a pair of FIS slaloms in if I have room. On our last two driving trips (west and east), my Stormrider 88's got by far the most use.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Never took more than one pair on a plane trip. One is hassle and expense enough.

Usually take two pair on late season driving trips, mainly so that I can change to a freshly waxed pair during the day.

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
What I take depends on terrain, conditions and travel companions. If I go by plane, 1 or 2 pairs. If I go by car I might bring more.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
I've always driven, so I take all of them (4). If I fly, then I take my boots and rent skis & poles when I get there.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
2-3 on a plane, this is where system bindings & binding freedom shines.

for car we brought 6 pairs this weekend

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Never took more than one pair on a plane trip. One is hassle and expense enough.
My usual has been to take two pairs of skis, and they go in my one checked bag. Which skis depends on the conditions and forecast the night before I leave, usually, but for a week-long trip, I'll aim to have something fairly narrow that likes to carve and something a bit wider.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a double ski bag, so 2 pair. One of my skis has demo bindings, so I could probably remove the demo bindings off the tracks and squeeze a the 3rd pair in there if I was able to keep it under the checked bag weight limit. And then I have the added weight of the demo bindings in my other checked luggage, so there are trade-offs.

That said, when travelling by plane with my SO, it’s one pair each. Somehow I’ve made the one pair work.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the record was 24 pair in the box on the S.S. Pugski, er S.S. SkiTalk. Demo bindings make it easier; they go in a box inside. @Tricia, is there photographic evidence?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
2 pairs max to fly.. One pair if there are good demo or performance rental options at the destination..

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
To provide some context - we fly to ski pretty regularly in normal times. When flying with the lady - it really has to be a pretty solid forecast for me to bring 2 pairs + 1 pair for her (she skis 110's all the time), as I get to play sherpa. Like really solid. My dtd ski is a SR95 - which is pretty, pretty good up to boot top ++. Certainly there have been times when that 5" ended up +10" and I wish I had brought the extra pair. But more often than not, that 5" forecast ends up 3". Usually end up swapping out at lunch anyway on the bigger days. So there you are.

The extra hassle of another ski bag (double concourse + a single) is just that, hassle. The juice isnt worth the squeeze. If its just me - and im dragging skis anyway, the difference between the 1 pair vs. 2 pair is small and unless its a bluebird forecast with zero activity - ill take 2 pair.

Based on the above - I have pair of MX83's and a pair of SR115's that have hardly seen snow, but those 95's - on the second pair.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Depends. If flying, and my wife is going with me, I usually only take one pair as I'm schlepping her's too ( I use to take two for me and her one pair, but that has gotten to be too much of a hassle ). If I'm going solo, then two at most, but sometimes still only one. If I'm flying it's west of here or Western Canada, or Europe; all too often I'd take powder-ish ski that never saw any snow. I'm happy skiing anything I come across in a 95mm-ish ski except on the ice coast that is. If I'm driving, well then, as many as will fit in the vehicle.

SkiSpeed

Getting off the lift
Skier
Flying out west, 2; driving, min 2, but not unusual to have 3.

Sponsor

Staff online