• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How many pairs for a ski trip?

TS
graham418

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been taking 2 , but I want to get down to 1. Just less to schlep. If I was driving, then more. 1 pair makes the decision ever more agonizing though

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
The last time on a airplane one for me and one for my wife. Both would fit in my double ski bag. If I get on an airplane now I only plan to bring my boots, and demo skis at the far end.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is what we took the Jackson Hole Gathering last year.
BE250362-963F-43C4-B2F7-0FA43B9A5871.jpeg

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
I have always just had one pair of carving skies, but I'm thinking about second pair for powder/crude...

James

Out There
Instructor
Two or zero. Depends on the arrangements of where one is going.
I still haven’t figured out if taking skis to Europe is worth it. It’s €200 round trip. Everytime I don’t it’s so much easier, but I’ve had some of the worst rentals ever. So there’s that. US rentals (demos) are generally much more expensive.
I took 2 pairs on the airplane for years and years. The last couple of years I got fed up with the struggle and downsized to one pair. But then I'm happy skiing deep powder on 85 mm skis.
All those years you took two pairs of Coombas??ogsmile

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
3 each alpine and 2 each nordic, and nicely tucked in under the platform in the Sienna Snowmobile.

The van just handles better with some weight in the back! :ogbiggrin:

When limited to one pair, it is always a classic-style 95 mm ski -- Fischer Motive 95 FTW -- it it serviceable for both carving and slaying pow. I could also see a Stormrider 95 or Enforcer 94 filling this role beautifully.

Last edited:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
1 Day trip: 2
multi-day trip by car: 4

I avoid flying to ski if possible, as renting acceptable free heel skis is pretty much a non-starter; fortunately I'm within no. more than 2 short driving days of the good stuff.
Assuming Covid becomes an after-thought and I'm able to fly to France to ski with my brother: 1 pair but I'm sure I'll regret whichever pair I pick.

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
Usually 2 pairs - one for the harder, skied out stuff or groomers and a wider powder ski for the backcountry. Going forward on family trips just one midfat all mountain.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
We have two Double Sportube carriers for flying so bring 2 pairs each. I am very much a “if it fits it ships” style packer, so if driving it could be more!

If flying, and my wife is going with me, I usually only take one pair as I'm schlepping her's too
Wait, I thought that style of carrying was called “the boyfriend” not “the husband” :roflmao:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We have two Double Sportube carriers for flying so bring 2 pairs each. I am very much a “if it fits it ships” style packer, so if driving it could be more!

Wait, I thought that style of carrying was called “the boyfriend” not “the husband” :roflmao:

Yeah, after 30 years I'm still the boyfriend :ogbiggrin: It did take us 16 years of living in sin before we tied the knot, so I guess we're not the typical wife and husband kind.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I usually only take one pair as I'm schlepping her's too ( I use to take two for me and her one pair, but that has gotten to be too much of a hassle ).
I need to talk to your wife and learn her secrets of getting husband to schlep my skis. I always get the response “I chose you because you carry your own skis”. Maybe I set a bad precedent of independence early on :doh:

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I need to talk to your wife and learn her secrets of getting husband to schlep my skis. I always get the response “I chose you because you carry your own skis”. Maybe I set a bad precedent of independence early on :doh:
Exactly. Why are so many of you responsible for managing someone else's skis?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Years ago I envisioned a ski shop subscription service similar to Blockbuster Video, but high performance skis. For an annual memberships, or ala carte for one or two trips a year you just log in and use your profile bsl, skier type, weight to reserve whatever brand, model, size skis you want on any given day at any given location worldwide up the street from the resort. Drop them back there on the way back to the airport or swap them out for something different if conditions change while you are there.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone still travel with one pair?
I do... typically something around 90mm wide if I'm going out west, that's good all around. I figure if I really want something different, I'll rent. Going to New England, it might more typically be something skinnier.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I am very much a “if it fits it ships” style packer, so if driving it could be more!
I used to take this mentality, until I decided to bring 3 snowboards on a a trip. I managed to stay under the weight limit, but was real close. After lugging it around the airport and to/from hotels, I realize the value of lightweight and compact luggage.

Sponsor