• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How many pairs for a ski trip?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Exactly. Why are so many of you responsible for managing someone else's skis?

Why ever not? I can get the wax 80%-95% correct for just about any conditions, track both of our boot setup/binding delta changes AND carry 5x more crap than she can, especially at altitude, without going into long-term oxygen debt/exhaustion.

OTOH, herself makes an awesome Julie the Cruise Director , doesn't mind tracking the financials, and has a better rep on AirBnB than I do (for good reason :D )

#crosstraining
#eachaccordingtotheirabilities
#useyourstrengths
#itjustmakessense

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
OTOH, herself makes an awesome Julie the Cruise Director , doesn't mind tracking the financials, and has a better rep on AirBnB than I do (for good reason :D )

#crosstraining
#eachaccordingtotheirabilities
#useyourstrengths
#itjustmakessense

Yes she does. She was great hanging out.chatting with my Andrea when she didn't feel like skiing. You've got a keeper!

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Never travel with more than 2.
Oh wait, I have a 2 ski quiver + rock skis.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
Maybe I set a bad precedent of independence early on :doh:
Yeah, my bad on that too!

After lugging it around the airport and to/from hotels, I realize the value of lightweight and compact luggage
I stay under the weight limits, but I am crossing my fingers when they weigh it! My travel experience is very limited though - I expect if I was doing a multiple destination trip by air I would feel very differently about my packing style.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
If flying I usually just bring one. Last year brought my Mindbender 99s to Vail and they were great. I know if you get dumped that something wider would be better but I grew up skiing skinny skis in powder and the 99s are way better than those.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Here you go. You're welcome.

1611957439106.png

Attachments

• Travel Ski Flowchart.pdf
    17 KB · Views: 0

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Most of our trips we fly out west.
We are a family of four, so typically allowed 4 bags: 2 double ski bags<50lbs, 2 duffles.

Last year we brought 5 pairs, but one was alpine touring and one was a 140cm kids ski so fairly light. In fact, together those two pairs probably are the same weight as a big 105 mm ski with heavy bindings.

Last edited:

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Too much worrying over ski types. there was a time when it didnt matter.
technically you never "need" anything more than your daily driver.
Bringing up these vids we've see again is always fun and for me never gets old.

heres another goodie gets better and better as it moves along

Last edited:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Flying: I bring two pairs for my wife, her everyday ski and her powder ski. I get to bring one pair, last couple of trips that's a Fischer Ranger 102FR
Driving: At least two each, up to a combined total of 5 pairs as that is the max our ski rack holds.

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
These days 1-pair. I used to schlep 2-pairs but my mid-fats work so well in most every condition I no longer feel compelled to bring anything else.

On trips >4 days I’ll usually demo a day or two just because I like trying new sticks.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As basically all of our trips around Europe are aboard of HMS Admiral Storaro, the only limiting factor is the room in the car and on the Thule Extenders on the roof and that's quite a lot.
But we limit ourselves to 3 pairs-2 for me and 1 for my wife but hers only count as half as she skis some weightless Heads in 143 cm, so total 2,5 pairs. Realistically we can reduce that to 1,5 if I only take the AX, which are good for everything frontside.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
All of them.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
If travelling by car - 2 to 3 pairs depending on forecast, duration of the trip and likely activity. 88mm and 100mm are nearly a lock. If going AT, AT skis. If racing, my non-race monster 82s which I use for club racing etc.

If by plane - 1 to 2. Usually just one - an all mountain ski circa 100mm+ as a DD. If I’m going to Niseko I also have circa 112+mm skis which I typically leave in the roof between seasons. However I do have to lug them there first trip, together with the all mountain DDs.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
If flying it's hard to get more than 2 pairs in a roller bag and stay under 23kg so that's the practical limit. 1 pair if just 3-4 days and can forecast weather. Driving - how many will fit that you want to bother with?

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Last 3-day trip, I took 7 pairs for 2 of us. Didn't use all of them. One pair I probably should of got out, but stayed on Renouns most of the trip.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
Haven’t lived till you’re rushing to get to the Denver airport and back in the day fitting skis in the ski tube in the Vail parking garage (lol)

Sponsor

Staff online