• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How many wax coats should you put on a new ski

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Really, what is it?
I finished my pre-season ReNew prep-waxing today on our skis. It took a couple days at a leisurely pace. One coat on all of the skis after two last spring to clean them before putting away for the summer. I put a coat of Zoom on the skis I'm going to loan to my snowboarder/skier friend. I continue to try an lure him back from the dark side. Many will say it's all in my head, but the base prep does seem to make the daily glide wax last longer.

James

Out There
Instructor

How many wax coats should you put on a new ski?​

It’s not a bad idea to slather a coat on the top. Keeps the snow from sticking. Or spray with silicone.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I finished my pre-season ReNew prep-waxing today on our skis. It took a couple days at a leisurely pace.
To be clear... ReNew is not really a wax it's more like a primer or a sub-coat. It will help make a wax job last longer? It can be safely used on a new pair of skis? Do you have to remove the old wax?

Where do you get it?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
To be clear... ReNew is not really a wax it's more like a primer or a sub-coat. It will help make a wax job last longer? It can be safely used on a new pair of skis? Do you have to remove the old wax?

Where do you get it?

Eh, you're overthinking it. Treat it like a normal, super soft prep wax.

If you are used to using CH10 or BP88 just do it like that.

James

Out There
Instructor
Where do you get it?
Any place that sells Dominator.
Tognar
The-raceplace
Artechski

I used to have some of this RaceService1 stuff. Their new graphics are a step back imo.
2F44452F-BAFE-477C-9B44-4B12E9F3D3B5.jpeg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I am used to using Zoom and no other wax product. But I intend to order ReNew so I can try it out.

Ah, 'k.

IME, the only difference with (any) using base prep as opposed to $$$$ wax of the day is resisting the urge to stint on the amount of wax applied. Be generous, be extra generous with the stuff. In other words, stinting on prep wax for cost reasons means one should use cheaper prep wax.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Late getting back to this party. I think folks above have covered it well. In addition, my understanding is that ReNew is a mixture of several different soft waxes of varying molecular weight. The lowest MW penetrates the deepest and fastest to open up the amorphous structure in the ptex thereby leading to easier uptake of higher MW waxes including your glide wax like Zoom.

Like @cantunamunch said, you may crayon or rub on your daily glide wax to avoid wasting it, but you want a good coat of prep wax to saturate your bases and purge their contaminates. How many cycles is needed is open to argument based on individual experiences. I recall seeing a graph somewhere that purported to show how Y deep the wax penetrates the ptex after X many cycles of waxing. Not surprising it leveled off after a fairly large number of waxing cycles, but I don't recall the exact number. I think it over ten cycles with diminishing returns from the later cycles. I would hazard a guess if you don't purge the wax from your bases with cleaners or a base grind, the waxing cycles are cumulative if you keep them up during the season so your bases don't dry out.

Sponsor