• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How much snow does Killington need and how can they do it?

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
WC is 13 days away and I have to assume as of 11.13.22 there is 0 snow anywhere on the slope. What's the logistics, assuming they get consistent cold (that appears to be the forecast) to get snow down for the event? How much snow do they need on the WROD to pull off the event?

I hope they get it! (Mainly because that means its cold enough for most of NE to blow snow so I can ski soon.)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is being discussed in the women's WC thread.
This was a post on Twitter yesterday.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Fortunately, they don't need to get the whole mountian open, just Superstar ...where they have an arsinal of snow making guns and experience in blowing feets if snow. It is not uncommon at this point to have to do this. Just take a look at previous Olympics from Squaw Valley to Lake Placid to Sochi.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It snowed/flurries here today in NEPA…as I was out all day doing leaf management…lol….”the turn” is here. Wishful thinking is saying Kton can do it….it’s why they are the Beast.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I just looked at Ktons 14 day forecast and I think they'll make it. Looks like sub freezing highs for the next week..

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
just Superstar ...where they have an arsinal of snow making guns
That's no understatement... took this last spring... there's a gun like every 20 feet.

1668390839616.png

Plus they supplement with mobile guns where needed. Which is why eventually the snow rises above the lift.

NE Gathering 040322 053 ACR Conv.jpg

But... right now they do need multiple feet of snow to be able to prepare a race surface - not just enough to cover for a WROD. So they have a big task ahead of them.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A WC race surface (ideally) needs to be rock solid, so a few feet of of snow is just one ingredient. Really cold weather is what's needed, to produce snow, to chill the ground before snow is distributed and prepared, to inject the snow to increase moisture level and make it rock solid. Natural snow normally comes with a temperature rise, so not really a good thing for Killington. Brass Monkey is what they need. As said in the WC thread, it's a pretty different process compared to preparing a hill for normal skiers to slarve around on.

Last edited:

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
As of this morning they are still selling lift tickets for Wednesday November 16. I’m not buying but they must be pretty confident about their capacity to make snow.

dm

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
K has been doing this for a number of years now and they know how to make and prepare a WC race surface. They couldn't ask for a better weather window. Cold for an extended stretch so no need to shut down and then start up again.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As of this morning they are still selling lift tickets for Wednesday November 16. I’m not buying but they must be pretty confident about their capacity to make snow.

dm
They'll probably have a soft open for pass holders tomorrow, possibly in the afternoon, and then a full opening for the public on Wednesday.

TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Assuming favorable snowmaking conditions, whatever that means, how much snow does a snow gun put out in an hour or a day?

Superstar is just under a mile, and ~100' wide(?), so call it 500,000^2, and they need what snow depth?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Assuming favorable snowmaking conditions, whatever that means, how much snow does a snow gun put out in an hour or a day?
Lets just say, "more licks than a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop". How is that for showing my age. For you youngin'z ...that a lot especially on Superstar.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Snow control is Wednesday (?) and the 10 forecast is good. The WC will happen.

dm

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

"According to our rockstar snowmaking team, it takes us 100-150 hours of snowmaking with a wet bulb temp of 26 degrees or less to get Superstar up to snuff."
https://mountaintimes.info/snow-on-superstar/

Over-simplified for marketing purposes. As we know from the manmade avalanches at Perfect North and Wisp, the ground needs to cool off just to support rec skiing. And if you blow snow on it fast, the ground temperature will hover at 32F because snow is an insulator.

A WC race surface (ideally) needs to be rock solid, so a few feet of of snow is just one ingredient. Really cold weather is what's needed, to produce snow, to chill the ground before snow is distributed and prepared, to inject the snow to increase moisture level and make it rock solid. Natural snow normally comes with a temperature rise, so not really a good thing for Killington. Brass Monkey is what they need. As said in the WC thread, it's a pretty different process compared to preparing a hill for normal skiers to slarve around on.

QFT

Sponsor

Staff online