• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How much water do you drink?

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't really prescribe to a regimented number of oz per day. This is a fairly complicated subject attempted to be made easy by the common mantra to just drink n number of oz of water every day. I'm not an expert on this BTW, but have read some on the subject. Too much water inhibits digestion. The other thing is our bodies make water as a byproduct of the metabolism during a process called cellular respiration.
Here is a quick layman's explanation https://www.enotes.com/homework-help/how-water-produced-by-our-body-776692
There are so many variables, like, where you live, how much physical exertion, how much you weight, how much you sweat, how much fat/muscle %, etc...
If you're taking a lot of B-vitamins, or eating foods high in B, your pee will not be clear until it's flushed all these. Basically if you're thirsty, you're already getting dehydrated. How much water per day is an individual situation for sure. Whenever I go out to eat with others, my wife is use to this, so others, I always get looks when the waitstaff says to you want water, and I say, not for me. Beer is 95 % water, that's enough. You also get water from food; depending on the food, of course. Another thing people talk about is natural diuretics being bad for you. A recent study I've read ( don't have link ) states that drinking coffee, tea, alcohol, etc... will not dehydrate you of you keep drinking them. The problem is if you drink something that is a diuretic, and then don't drink any fluids after that, that's when you're better off not drinking the diuretic in the first place. Most days that's all I drink: coffee, lots of green tea, and a beer or two at the end of the day, and I'm perfectly healthy and active. If I'm really exerting myself during, let's say a crossfit workout or a big bike ride, then I drink some water, but not a ton. Right now, I'm re-roofing my house, and it's figgin hot up there in the sun, and I'm exerting myself a lot, and sweating hard, so I'm drinking the usual amount of coffee, green tea and beer as stated above, plus 2-3 liters of water.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
One thing that stuck with me is reading that more people have died in sports events from over hydration (hyponatremia) than dehydration. I err towards the "drink when thirsty" approach.
Even though I was the first to comment that too much water can also be bad... I wasn't aware that too much water was actually responsible for more deaths than not enough with athletes at the highest levels. Thanks to you James, and Scruffy for chiming in with data and observations that highlight that end of the spectrum as well.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
A few years ago, I took up the habit of drinking about 8 oz of water upon waking up, and 8 oz within an hour of going to bed. That in addition to the fact that I travel with a 32 oz bottle with me everywhere, and drink nothing BUT water (no sodas, no juice, but I do consume beer/wine/liquor in moderation) and I grab a drink as often as I can.
If I had to guess, I'd say I get about 64 oz per day on non-exercise days. I always add electrolytes to my bottle when biking but don't carry a ton of water on my normal rides. I just hydrate a lot before and after.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
- I generally drink about 56-64 oz daily. I drink at least 8oz of pure water first thing in the morning, well at least before eating anything.
- Noticed a big difference in how I handle altitude if I get a lot of water at the beginning of a ski trip, and whether or not I get chapped lips is as much a result of adequate hydration as over-exposure.
- Coffee, tea, soup, beverages, the inherent water content of food--it all counts.
- Was never able to drink the 1/2 my body weight in water...although if I weighed less, that might be do-able.
- I do love how my body uses up water on hikes/cycling.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Timely: my regular ski "day" is 2-4 hours in the AM and then light e.g. moderate hiking, activity in the PM. 2 weeks ago my first day of 4 at Mammoth, temps starting in the low 40s and hitting near 60 by mid-day with no breeze, skied hard for 3.5 hours straight (Mammoth in the Spring - glorious!), no pee or drink stops. Walking back for lunch and back icing was a little wobbly, wrote it off to just exhausted legs. Drank 4-5 ozs of gatorade, staggered down to the car to go for PM dog walk, backing up was vaguely aware of car proximity alarm beeping, then grinding noise. Without even thinking (cuz .... dehydration) simply pulled forward, with even louder grinding + final bang. By then I decided a nap was needed before hiking, so walked back to room WITHOUT EVEN CHECKING CAR :doh: Before napping peed the orangest pee I've ever seen, and finally realized what was going on. Over the next 3-4 hours rehydrated and was fine, but my recollection of tearing off my rear bumper by snagging it on a stump is still pretty foggy.. The bill is crystal clear, however.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I generally worry little less outside on a hot humid day and shoveling dirt .. weekdays i do tea throughout the day and as @Scruffy noted, not too worried.

I do however drink water with most any/all alcohol I drink. Keep a glass of water next to the wine or liqueur glass. Like to think it saves me from feeling down the next day.

in fact, got a 20 oz Steamboat Resorts cup of water next to my brandy at this very moment.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Timely: my regular ski "day" is 2-4 hours in the AM and then light e.g. moderate hiking, activity in the PM. 2 weeks ago my first day of 4 at Mammoth, temps starting in the low 40s and hitting near 60 by mid-day with no breeze, skied hard for 3.5 hours straight (Mammoth in the Spring - glorious!), no pee or drink stops. Walking back for lunch and back icing was a little wobbly, wrote it off to just exhausted legs. Drank 4-5 ozs of gatorade, staggered down to the car to go for PM dog walk, backing up was vaguely aware of car proximity alarm beeping, then grinding noise. Without even thinking (cuz .... dehydration) simply pulled forward, with even louder grinding + final bang. By then I decided a nap was needed before hiking, so walked back to room WITHOUT EVEN CHECKING CAR :doh: Before napping peed the orangest pee I've ever seen, and finally realized what was going on. Over the next 3-4 hours rehydrated and was fine, but my recollection of tearing off my rear bumper by snagging it on a stump is still pretty foggy.. The bill is crystal clear, however.

That is how I feel when my BP drops too low. I'm extremely loopy when that happens and have fainted. Be careful. My BP didn't drop back down to below normal until I moved to altitude.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I chug water when I'n nervous like speaking to large groups, leading training workshops, etc.. as well as sweat a little bit. Used to be pretty bad when I was less experienced at it. Now I just try to have water but watch the amount... especially if it's going to be a long meeting with no break.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One thing that stuck with me is reading that more people have died in sports events from over hydration (hyponatremia) than dehydration. I err towards the "drink when thirsty" approach.
It's easy to not die from drinking too much water.

Drink a sports drink that replaces your electrolytes. Too much water washes out your electrolytes causing huge problems.

Sadly, if all those folks who died just drank Gatorade (or another sports drink with electrolytes) they would still be alive.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The real measure is to pee clear. It only takes an hour to go from peeing clear to feeling dehydrated so keep drinking.

Eric

This isn't an actual amount, but it is absolutely the key -- well, I'd say "straw" colored, not quite clear.

20 oz first thing in the morning.

Yup, an early start is smart!

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This isn't an actual amount, but it is absolutely the key -- well, I'd say "straw" colored, not quite clear.

Yes; Some pale color is desirable. Clear is too far. And if maintained, becomes pathological.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I read once......... That "sipping" water constantly is not a good thing for hydration. Rather, it is better to take a gulp or two or three.
Something about the mechanics of getting the fluid down to where it's needed. Does anyone have a better take (recall)?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I read once......... That "sipping" water constantly is not a good thing for hydration. Rather, it is better to take a gulp or two or three.
Something about the mechanics of getting the fluid down to where it's needed. Does anyone have a better take (recall)?
I think the better take is just listen to your body. If you're a sipper go ahead and sip. If you're a gulper you go ahead and gulp. If your body is fighting against you and makes it harder for you to swallow in most cases, you should listen and don't drink any more water now.
The forcing yourself to gulp maybe a holdover from the mantra of you are all underhydrated, so force yourself to drink past your body signals. Perhaps only if you're doing extreme exercise, or are under abnormal conditions, you need to do measurements and calculations and override body signals based on medical advice.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I think the better take is just listen to your body. If you're a sipper go ahead and sip. If you're a gulper you go ahead and gulp. If your body is fighting against you and makes it harder for you to swallow in most cases, you should listen and don't drink any more water now.
The forcing yourself to gulp maybe a holdover from the mantra of you are all underhydrated, so force yourself to drink past your body signals. Perhaps only if you're doing extreme exercise, or are under abnormal conditions, you need to do measurements and calculations and override body signals based on medical advice.

Sounds like an opinion.....