• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How often do folks wash their SmartWool/Icebreaker/Ibex/etc?

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
I know merino wool doesn't hold odors, but how often do people wash their wool?

I have SmartWool ski socks (I think they're a blend) that I wash after every wearing. But I don't wash my 100% wool bottoms/tops as often - probably every 3-5 wearings. My husband throws his bottoms in the laundry after each wearing, since he doesn't wear underwear with them (I do with mine). Is this washing too much?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I know merino wool doesn't hold odors, but how often do people wash their wool?

This is a lie.

Maybe I have a unique body chemistry or something, but my fancy wool tops do hold armpit odors, and after a while I can't even wash it out.

So I pretty much wash them as frequently as possible.

JMD

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have six pairs of Smartwool Merino Socks and two Smartwool Midweight Merino Tops. I ski 5 days a week. I wash the socks after each one day use. The tops do not hold odor on me so I only wash each top after 5 days of use. I average 120 days a year skiing and the socks and tops have lasted for over 5 seasons. So I have not found the frequent washings to shorting their life.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Um, after I wear them?

At least if they are next-to-skin layers.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
After every wearing!

I keep 10 pairs of SW socks, Like to change socks mid day Wash the weeks worth at the end of the week.
Same for tops, But one a day.
I'm not one for long john bottoms, but when it's cold, I wear 'em and wash 'em after.
Oh So domestic! ;-)

It's those high tech shells I wonder about. I've got a North Face shell that must have a slow moisture release barrier. The thing is always wet in the arms. I take it off and turn it inside out when I go inside. How to wash that?

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
All my ski socks and base layers are merino wool. I wash socks after one use. Tops and bottoms, I get 2-3 days out of each before a wash...sometimes even 5!... if I sweat a lot, I’ll wash after one use.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Tops I can wear for 3 days no problem (the miracle of anti perspirant) however since long underwear is just that, they are next to skin, and I wash them after one use; the same with socks.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wash my next to skin merino baselayers after each use. Sometimes durring a multi-day trip I forget which is which and wear the used one again, or an unplanned overnighter, i.e., snowing all day into the next, great conditions.

I also do underwear under my base layer bottoms.

Never use antiperspirants, never have, I think they're gross, sticky and smell terrible. I probably have a hyper sensitive olfactory response, cheap perfume makes me nauseous. Besides specific BO is an attractant to members of the opposite sex genetically wired for such (it's 2018 therefore I assume "opposite", idk), and if two are "chemically" attracted by BO scent, compatibility in other way is simple logic, right?

Shetland wool, Alpaca, Merino and Cashmere sweaters (street clothing), I try to wash as little as possible and hate dry cleaning.

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Socks every one to two days. I don't wear my merino top next to my skin, and don't wear it every day, only teens or lower, so maybe once or twice a season? Mostly because it's not Smartwool (which my local moths apparently love, as did I), but something that requires air drying on a hanger. I use Thermax normally. That gets washed twice a week.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I wash socks after one wearing, baselayers generally after two. Although they do just fine with a regular wash/dry, I wash them in delicate, and partially dry them at low temperature, hanging to finish drying. I think this can’t help but extend its life.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You guys/girls are a great ski community!...but....I will just leave this thread alone as I don’t need to find out whose armpits and other “regions” stink or not.....haha...sorry, too funny...