• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How the different plates affects skiing?

PeteW

Getting on the lift
Skier
Reading the thread Head information, and some ski technology and design questions I did some research on Head's 21/22 models based on information on their site and catalog. Head's catalogs can be found at https://catalog.head.com/

What I found is that eSpeed, eSpeed Pro, eRace, eRace Pro, and eSL share same construction and differs on sidecut and plates used. See pages 11-12 in Hardgoods 21/22 catalog.

eSL short radius 10 - 13.1 m
eRace medium radius 12.6 - 16.3 m
eSpeed long radius 15.9 - 19 m

Pro models use Race Plate WCR 14 short
Non Pro models use Race Plate EVO 14

I did not found any inromation about the plates and will be grateful if someone share some information.

I own Head iSL 18/19 edition and I'm pretty happy with them but it is time to upgrade and that leads to question:
How the different plates affects skiing?

I know that the obvious response is: test and see. Unfortunately last two seasons there is no traditional end of season test event and my last memories are from back to back testing iSL vs SL RD from spring 2019 (models 19/20).

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
These skis have incrementally improved, but the intended uses and differences are still the same: the Pro versions have race bindings/plates (and a stouter, more race ski like construction), the regular versions more relaxed bindings/plates in between race and all mountain with the option to mount other bindings and/or leave the plate off.

I have skied and liked multiple versions. But the main two you ask about were/are different, the Pro ski/bindings/plates more race-like (stronger and more precise edgehold, more immediate response, more authority over the edge/carve), the other more versatile, playful, relaxed (but still with relatively strong and precise edgehold). Both fun.

The Head reps will tell you the Pro (with race plate/bindings) requires more skills to ski well or take full advantage of - are less forgiving also. And, yes, more race-like. But once one is used to both, both are great fun, with advantages to each - just different in feel - and skiing style - a bit.

My favorite Pros are the GS like ones: 185 length and true race bindings and plate. What fun. But I'd own and ski both, Pro and regular.

Small footnote: the iSpeed RD WC GS (non-pro) 180/18 (with less race ski like bindings/plates) was reported to be the favorite recreational ski of Karl Schranz, the great racer. Nice ski. I've seen him in videos on that ski, skiing very playfully. But obviously an elite skier. (Not sure the exact name of this ski - it might have iGS in it somewhere, but don't think so. I'd have to go look at it, and it's not here at the moment. It's not the plain iSpeed, or the one without "World Cup" and"RD" in the name. )

Last edited:

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
1634698206781.jpeg

This one works well with bacon and eggs; however I prefer something different for waffles.

TS
PeteW

PeteW

Getting on the lift
Skier
@ski otter 2 Thank you for the response
But the main two you ask about were/are different, the Pro ski/bindings/plates more race-like (stronger and more precise edgehold, more immediate response, more authority over the edge/carve), the other more versatile, playful, relaxed (but still with relatively strong and precise edgehold). Both fun.

I am looking for something that is in between eSL and eSL RD so the obvious choice will be eRace Pro at shortest length.

View attachment 145679
This one works well with bacon and eggs; however I prefer something different for waffles.
:roflmao:

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
@PeteW some other brands also have Pro (plated) versions of their SL models. Sometimes those are called 'Pro', sometimes 'Master'. Völkl has the Racetiger SL Master, Rossignol has the Hero Elite ST TI R22, Fischer has the RC4 Worldcup SC Pro M/O plate...

Staying with Head, you'll have to switch to the medium radius if you want a Pro model (or the FIS/RD Slalom ski of course); with some other brands you can stay on the short turn skis, but get a plate (but not quite FIS power).

TS
PeteW

PeteW

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm currently on Head because this is only brand that I can easily test all new models. At the end of the last season I had the opportunity to borrow Völkl Racetiger SL from a friend and what I liked is a little better edge hold in hard conditions compared to my old iSLs which gave me more confidence. From previous tests I know that Head eSL RD is very good ski but from my point of view it is too physically demanding for all day skiing.

On the other hand (financial) I'm getting pretty good discount from our local Head dealer :ogbiggrin:

TS
PeteW

PeteW

Getting on the lift
Skier
Update
Catalog-2021-22_EN-11.jpg After having a chat with our Head representative it turns out that there is a difference between Pro and regular versions. According to him despite sharing same construction Pro versions have almost twice thicker titanal layer making them stiffer. See Layer 3 on attached scheme.

So I ended up with a pair of new eRacePro@165 :ogbiggrin:

Head-eRacePro.jpg
Head-eRacePro-1.jpg

Last edited:

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Looks like a fun ski! Enjoy.

Regarding the original question, how plates affect skiing, it seems like being on the North American plate causes skis to widen underfoot, often unnecessarily. Being on the Eurasian plate tends to cause ski width underfoot to correspond to snow conditions. Not sure why. Using that eRacePro on the North American plate would help bring things into a better tectonic balance.
1280px-Plates_tect2_en.svg.png

Being on the South American plate or a certain corner of the Pacific plate causes skiing to be very nice in August and September.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was at a demo last week where Head reps had a tent. They did not bring race or race-like skis, they did not bring powder skis.
I tried a pair of the latest Titans, the narrowest ski they had, because a race coach whose opinions I respect had recommended it. (It was a "meh" for me; other brand comparable skis I like better, including Rossi and Stockli.)

The key thing I wanted to convey to you, @PeteW, was that a Head rep/tech who prefers and uses the various e skis now, said the big difference between the previous i skis and the current e skis (including the iRace and eRace versions) is that the newer e versions have been specifically designed at the tips to handle more varied and new snow conditions, with slight lift and slightly different tip shape/rise. They go up and over things a bit better, and carve at the tip better in uneven snow and terrain, evening out irregularities a bit better than the older i skis, according to him.

(Also, he personally preferred the clearly defined SL 165 models and the GS like 185 models, as being more clearly capable in their respective niches, short turns and long turns, whereas others often have preferred the in between lengths of around 180, and the iRace and eRace versions.)

Since my other post to you, I've discovered that I like the medium turn versions of at least some brands a lot also, the equivalents of the eRace ski, I gather. These have a very natural turn one does not have to fight to keep at medium speeds and medium turns, rather than too short turns or too long turns for the most natural recreational cruising.

The closest to in between I'd gotten to previously was the 180/18 Rebel WC RD model, with non-race plate and bindings to make it more natural/playful: fairly versatile, and quick from edge to edge, but not as relaxed and natural a turn as skis like the eRace you're getting, seems likely.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What I found is that eSpeed, eSpeed Pro, eRace, eRace Pro, and eSL share same construction and differs on sidecut and plates used. See pages 11-12 in Hardgoods 21/22 catalog.

eSL short radius 10 - 13.1 m
eRace medium radius 12.6 - 16.3 m
eSpeed long radius 15.9 - 19 m

Pro models use Race Plate WCR 14 short
Non Pro models use Race Plate EVO 14
Within one category for one ski maker - in this case carving-oriented on-piste skis from Head - the skis typically share 95% of their construction, features, etc. It's great to have one of those "compare" matrices that highlights only those few elements that are different. That's what PeteW seems to be doing here. Yay. Sometimes it seems like mfrs don't want us to understand the method behind the apparent madness.

TS
PeteW

PeteW

Getting on the lift
Skier
In other circumstances I would'n do it. I had to because COVID canceled 2020 and 2021 spring tests so I had no opportunity to ski them and feel the difference. I read (and watched) a lot of reviews and no one mentioned what I was interested - how those ski are copared to each other. So when the season starts I will ski them back to back and hopefuly will find out if I found what I'm looking for.

Sponsor