• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How tight should you buckled your boots?

clewis

Booting up
Skier
I'm sure this questions has been asked, but couldn't find a thread, so feel free to direct me to another spot.

Just wonder how tight you should be buckling your boots. Crank them down or just snug? As well if you leave them a little loose would this reduce the flex stiffness? At times I wonder my touring boots are a little stiff for me. Currently on the Technica zero g pro guide. I've read that the flex pattern on touring boots is fairly subjective.

Thanks for any info

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just snug. That 2nd buckle across top of the ankle is the "action" buckle. That one is the only one needed to buckle at all. The others are for comfort.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Rule of thumb, the clog of the boot, giudes the ski and the bottom buckles just need to be finger tight. The cuff is where the energy comes from and you will use yoru palm to close them.

level of importance (from the front)
  1. 3rd buckle
  2. Power strap
  3. 4th buckle
  4. 2nd buckle
  5. 1st buckle

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The first two buckles from the front are mainly to keep snow/water from coming in. The 3rd buckle helps keep the foot in the right place and top buckle and power strap keeps it tight so you can transfer power. There are some variations to this depending on specific boot designs that are not the typical 4 buckle ones but it is a good general rule.

TS
clewis

clewis

Booting up
Skier
Awesome. Thanks for the insights. I'll play with the suggestions. I've probably been making the 4th buckle(upper shin buckle) a little too tight. Also not using the power strap with the appropriate tightness. I find it usually just slide up and off.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting info on this subject here:

Somewhat over halfway in. He warns against "stiction" (spelling? LOL) from overbuckling the cuff--can impede cuff parts sliding against each other. Personal experience--a very small change in buckling pattern can alter shin angle, with significant impact on performance. But too loose, and lateral responsiveness can suffer. Play around with combinations of buckling positions and power strap or Booster Strap tightness. Try running strap under half of the cuff instead of over--strap has greater effect that way. Or even run strap directly across the tongue of the liner, ABOVE the top of the shell's cuff. Consider installing Booster Straps if you don't have them. Personally, I like the progressive flex they add.

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@clewis , I had the ZGTP also, and ground the bottom sides of the black spine part a bit narrower (we’re the cuff hit it). Mostly to improve the walk mode, but also to create a little bit softer flex in the very beginning of flexing the boot.