• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How to apply spray waxes without ventilated space

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My tuning space is in my basement. Garage tuning is not really possible for me due to a detached unheated garage and Minnesota temps. So I can't just spray the toko liquid paraffin in my basement due to the fumes. Can I take a warm ski outside, spray the wax, and then bring it in to dry? That should greatly reduce the fumes I suspect. But what if it's really cold out? Say single digits or below? Would it still work?

I know I should have a ventilated space for hot waxing too, but using low iron temps and no flor waxes for a couple of pairs of skis at a time seems fine without ventilation. The spray wax, in the other hand, is not.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My tuning space is in my basement. Garage tuning is not really possible for me due to a detached unheated garage and Minnesota temps. So I can't just spray the toko liquid paraffin in my basement due to the fumes. Can I take a warm ski outside, spray the wax, and then bring it in to dry? That should greatly reduce the fumes I suspect. But what if it's really cold out? Say single digits or below? Would it still work?

Will work just fine if the ski and can are warm, especially if you use a plastic shopping bag around the spray hand. Also, don't forget the felt or cork rub block immediately after.

TS
M

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Will work just fine if the ski and can are warm, especially if you use a plastic shopping bag around the spray hand. Also, don't forget the felt or cork rub block immediately after.
Are you using the plastic bag to keep the wax/propellant off your clothes? And you are corking it while still wet?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
They.still smell pretty strong while drying, even if you spray them outside. Just saying.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Someone needs to find a way to incorporate THC instead of Flouro and achieve similar performance.. Ventilation problem becomes an advantage..

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes - and I find the felt block better than the cork.

I also use felt. I made a block with a small scrap of 2 x 2 and a self-adhesive felt pad for furniture.

I'm going to start selling them for $50.

Question for debate: Why does my Toko spray-on stink more than my Swix? Aren't they sort of kind of the same company?

TS
M

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm... I'm not sure these spray waxes are easier than hotwaxing! I believe Toko claims they glide better though...Guess I need to build a dedicated tuning shed with heat and ventilation :)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm... I'm not sure these spray waxes are easier than hotwaxing! I believe Toko claims they glide better though...Guess I need to build a dedicated tuning shed with heat and ventilation :)

Yeah, right.
BTW, I have a small stone bridge for ya in lower Manhattan. Cheap.

1613323814234.png

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

What prompted you to use spray waxes rather than hot waxing?

TS
M

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What prompted you to use spray waxes rather than hot waxing?

Nothing really, I have a collection of various waxes just got some of the Toko spray to try it. Seems that Toko and Swix are moving that direction and claim very high performance so I thought I'd give it a whirl. If I lived somewhere where I could just tune in the garage with the door open I could see it being a good deal. So far, in my case, seems like more trouble than benefit. I fully acknowledge that I shouldn't be hot waxing without better ventilation than I have, but with appropriate iron temps and low smoke backshop wax (zero visible smoke in my basement) it really doesn't seem to be much of an issue for the one or two pair I wax at a time. The spray, however, certainly would be.

TS
M

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And here you had us thinking you were freezing your cork off :D

Well, when I walked the dog this morning it was -20f. High today -6f. So while my cork may be warm in my basement, the skis in my garage are probably dreaming of being waterskis somewhere warm right now.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm... I'm not sure these spray waxes are easier than hotwaxing!

Less than half the time, for me.

The formula I've arrived at -- without perfect compliance -- is one hot wax, then two or three spray jobs, then repeat sequence.

Sponsor