• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How to Capture Steepness?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 146536
Making it look like a molehill!
Stauffenberg is where I was thankful for crappy ill fitting boots. I got the tip of my ski jammed into a mogul, and could feel leg and knee twisting. There was enough play in the boot to absorb everything before it stopped.
That reminds me of the "How do you like me now" pollow drop segment from one of the Matchstick movies.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So, just for accuracy's sake, my Taos photos are 1. Stauffy entrance, 2. middle of Stauffy, 3. Turbinator? (help @KingGrump, where's that rock?), 4. Zdarsky, 5. Ninos Heroes (other side, Highline Ridge, not on map below). Actually, 4. may actually be lower on Turbinator, I can't exactly remember.

Snowledge-App-West-Basin-1-Taos-Freeride-World-Qualifier..jpg

I just went back in my photos and lo and behold, this is where I dropped in after that first photo. It's really not that bad.

CEAE8799-EB46-4318-9491-FE60000345CE_1_105_c.jpeg

The next pic is looking across, at my nephew coming in the other side. @mdf, you totally got this!

3985FF72-403D-405A-91FD-561DB2DE497E_1_105_c.jpeg

And while we are on the subject of photos, here it is from the front and bottom, so you can see how it gets flattened out in the photo! But you already knew that, which is why the thread exists. (It does flatten out down there, but even the top looks benign.) @Tony S, the example of what NOT to do....

benign.png

I'm having fun now ... here are the rest of the series of @Drahtguy Kevin. (It doesn't really look like it, but I was in a protected spot, taking these; another tip for shooting from below.)

89C8DA68-6257-4C82-9896-384D3820A7C9_1_105_c.jpeg

EFD7CAFC-88C1-4BF0-BDEB-0B47A3BFB811_1_105_c.jpeg
A4D1837C-CD77-46A6-BDC7-94F5DF098C48_1_105_c.jpeg

A24BC810-A497-4FD9-8338-A2953C9322E5_1_105_c.jpeg

47AA4D07-DA63-4150-BB0C-74366FBD41FE_1_105_c.jpeg

Attachments

• 47AA4D07-DA63-4150-BB0C-74366FBD41FE_1_105_c.jpeg
    47AA4D07-DA63-4150-BB0C-74366FBD41FE_1_105_c.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 15

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Fun thread! Enjoying all the great pics and tangents.

Just adding quick 2c:

When shooting down or up (as opposed to the side) on steeps, put something in the foreground. For example, your ski tips hanging over the edge, or a selfie shot with the hill up or below but behind you.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So, just for accuracy's sake, my Taos photos are 1. Stauffy entrance, 2. middle of Stauffy, 3. Turbinator? (help @KingGrump, where's that rock?), 4. Zdarsky, 5. Ninos Heroes (other side, Highline Ridge, not on map below). Actually, 4. may actually be lower on Turbinator, I can't exactly remember.

Snowledge-App-West-Basin-1-Taos-Freeride-World-Qualifier..jpg

Nice pic.
Turbinator is the clump of rock on the skier left of Stauffy.

Much of the lines through the rocks up there are ski at your own risk (to the base of your skis). Depending on snow conditions, lots of the rocks and spines will require mandatory air and/or major base damage.
Even on a low snow year, the five well defined chutes up there are skiable. Starting on skier right, Spitfire, Oster, Fabian, Stauffy and Zdarsky. The locals and regulars generally called Zdarsky, Fifth Chute for that reason.

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
It must be the adrenaline that's missing from the veins when looking at the photos afterwards.
the last shot (above, at Taos) with the giant rock in the background is great.
Most of my photos attempting to show steepness turn out disappointing, having a frame of reference in the photo appears to be a key component. Here's a few from my tiny stash of good ones from 20 years of digital shots.

Hiking Aspen Highlands Bowl, about 3/4 of the way to the summit. (drop-in to the bowl is to the right)

1635385538173.jpeg

Silverton Mountain
Ridge at the top of Concussion (our guide is the one without a helmet)
1635385868886.jpeg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I came across one ... this is a frame capture from a video I took at the 2016 Aspen Gathering of several of us going down AMF at Snowmass.
AMF_vid_still.JPG

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't see much steepness. However, I do see a requirement for a quick change of the bottom base layer.

FWIW, dude has improved much since.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great thread and great pictures. It’s been awhile since I have seen anything steep, and my pulse is going up a little just looking at the pictures. So, whoever is taking the pictures is definitely capturing the steepness. Right now, sitting in my living room on a Sunday morning, I am thinking that everyone posting on this thread has bigger balls than I do.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Great thread and great pictures. It’s been awhile since I have seen anything steep, and my pulse is going up a little just looking at the pictures. So, whoever is taking the pictures is definitely capturing the steepness. Right now, sitting in my living room on a Sunday morning, I am thinking that everyone posting on this thread has bigger balls than I do.
Slowrider from Mt.Flatchelor:wave:

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
No. We just have less humility. THE DAY I MET YOU we were skiing some fairly gnarly pitches at Bridger Bowl, under the guidance of Nolo. Recall? Trolley Chute? You had plenty of pitch and narrowness tolerance then. You just need pics to prove it!

1635695615723.png

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
great thread, may seem obvious but take multiple pics with slightly different angles to left/right/up/down. Sometimes just minor changes will result in significant differences. Also, use the image enhancers/edit software/apps especially on phones. again, slight changes to contrast, brightness can drastically change an image.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A couple things: that's the top of Stauffenberg, and the entrance depends greatly on the amount of snow (base) they have. It's not always that steep; other times it's worse. All of those skiers there, I think, were prepping for a freeride comp, so they just hopped right in. Possibly with some spinny things going on, too, I can't totally remember. I, however, skied around where there was a bit of a ramp to get in. You can't see it very well, I'm not even totally sure where it was; my arrow is just an approximation. It was still hairy, but not straight down.

View attachment 146482
Personally, I think the drop ins where it transitions from flat to steep are the scariest thing.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January