• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How to carve like Ted Ligety?

cragginshred

Getting off the lift
Skier
I get to ski periodically with a co worker who is an ex ski racer. He drops his hip with amazing edge angle. He said
1- Forward boot pressure
2-Speed
3- Keep shoulders square knees hips bent.
4-Don't fall into turn like some teach as that causes the skier to lose the downhill ski edge hold

What have you all got? Now we should qualify when tournament water skiing I found only focusing on one or two things per pass is best otherwise we get overwhelmed and master nothing.

Jelder

Putting on skis
Skier
Don't just pull your inside knee up. Pull your whole leg up and back with your hip joint, while also bending your knee. This movement helps me get to the inside of the new turn easily and quickly, while creating instant angulation. It also keeps my hips very square to my skis.

I'm not an expert, but I ain't bad at carving.

TS
cragginshred

cragginshred

Getting off the lift
Skier
Don't just pull your inside knee up. Pull your whole leg up and back with your hip joint, while also bending your knee. This feeling helps me get to the inside of the new turn easily and quickly, while creating instant angulation.

I'm not an expert, but I ain't bad at carving.
Any video of you skiing? Most videos on YT go from uber basic turning to ultra angulation which is pretty useless

TS
cragginshred

cragginshred

Getting off the lift
Skier
It’s simple.

Begin when you are 6 years old and devote your life to full time training.

Otherwise, just set more realistic goals.

dm
I used to say the same thing while tournament water skiing so I get it However, I should re phrase **Not looking to ski like ted, just get better angle and hip drop angulation**

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Shoulders level to the slope, and square (which is a much more dynamic move than it sounds.)

And extend your downhill leg for all it's worth.

Perfect conditions are also essential for we mere mortals.

If you are extending your "downhill" leg you are way, way too late.

TS
cragginshred

cragginshred

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ski racer so worked said he does not like the palm drag to increase lean angle drill because you want hands in front

James

Out There
Instructor
He’s a knuckle toucher, not a palm dragger.

93365CB9-117D-4B15-8CAE-6353F4B1AEE7.jpeg

Note^ always look uphill before starting out. Ted Ligety could be coming.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
It’s simple.

Begin when you are 6 years old and devote your life to full time training.

Otherwise, just set more realistic goals.

dm

I used to say the same thing while tournament water skiing so I get it However, I should re phrase **Not looking to ski like ted, just get better angle and hip drop angulation**
My first post was a wise ass thing but there's some truth in it. You carve at high angles the same way any you do low angles. You need early clean edge engagement, and you need to be comfortable at high speeds, but what you need most is good balance. If you have good balance and are comfortable at high speeds and high g loads and can initiate turns cleanly you are ready to start getting to higher edge angles. IME it's easier on short radius skis, not FIS GS skis. One if the limiting factors for balance is core strength, so maybe you need to spend some time in the gym, but even then you can't balance like Ligety unless you are an exceptional athlete. When I was young and fit I could easily drag my hands when I skied my cheater slalom skis (which is not the same as skiing like Ligety), not so much now.

dm

Sponsor

Staff online