• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How to clean ski goggles | Your valuable thoughts please!

sabbir.thepro

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
While skiing, you could easily wear your goggles for a long time because of sweat or even precipitations.

Therefore it's important to learn how to clean ski goggles in order to avoid wearing dirty and itchy masks.

What you generally do to clean your ski goggles?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't worry about the foam; if it becomes an issue I'd just rinse with water and gently squeeze out the excess. As for the lenses, I *VERY* carefully use soapy water to remove water spots and dust/dirt after removing the lens from the frame. Rinse with hot water and use a cloth specifically for glasses and other lens to dry. Of course you can't do this during the day. For that, you can carry a cleaning cloth if it gets too bad to see.

Reactions: tch

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Except the inside of the lens which you’re not supposed to touch. It’s a ridiculous Catch 22.
Yeah, I do that too. Probably shouldn't but if it gets spotty...You're correct, though. Catch 22.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah, I do that too. Probably shouldn't but if it gets spotty...You're correct, though. Catch 22.
I guess that’s a reason for Smith as supposedly their lens inside was like micro etched instead of coated. Whether that is or was true, don’t know.
Yeah the i side spots - unofficially, rinse off with clean, (distilled ??), water and blot.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Those two points...avoid scratching and avoid damaging the reputed anti-fog coating on the inside (if it really exists). I occasionally wash with dish detergent or hand soap and warm water, rinse well, shake off, then very gently blot dry with the goggle bag or a lens wiping cloth. Never a paper towel. If desperate, blot very gently with a kleenex.

Now...how to get the water spots that can form between the dual lenses? (I know, https://prolens.com/goggle-lenses/) And, why don't the goggle makers sell replacement straps? (I know, much better profit selling new goggles.)

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
While skiing, you could easily wear your goggles for a long time because of sweat or even precipitations.

Therefore it's important to learn how to clean ski goggles in order to avoid wearing dirty and itchy masks.

What you generally do to clean your ski goggles?
I don't clean mine. Never thought about it.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Those two points...avoid scratching and avoid damaging the reputed anti-fog coating on the inside (if it really exists). I occasionally wash with dish detergent or hand soap and warm water, rinse well, shake off, then very gently blot dry with the goggle bag or a lens wiping cloth. Never a paper towel. If desperate, blot very gently with a kleenex.

Now...how to get the water spots that can form between the dual lenses? (I know, https://prolens.com/goggle-lenses/) And, why don't the goggle makers sell replacement straps? (I know, much better profit selling new goggles.)
Compressed air either from a compressor or a can.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've had to clean goggle foam on motocross or down hill bike goggles, which is done by taking the lens out and carefully cleaning the lens with an appropriate goggle cloth.
I've never needed to clean the foam on my ski goggles. I guess I wear sunglasses when its warm enough to think about sweating in ski goggles.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Only if required.

If your lenses is removable, clean like plastic prescription glasses. Blow/brush off dust gently to prevent scratching, Drop or 2 of DAWN dish soap light rub (again carefully to prevent scratching) between finger tips, rinse with hot water till water beads, pat dry don't rub (again to avoid scratches).

This is how I do it, 47 years of glasses teach you a trick or two.

Errand Wolfe

Ski like Stein
Skier
Never considered it but I would default to my hat washing process which involves wearing it in the shower a couple of times then air drying.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Compressed air either from a compressor or a can.
Canned air often will contain a agent to stop people from huffing it; which will leave a very slight residue or white film.

Test first, canned air is often labelled only for dusting, but usually don't use candusters for optics nor anything food related.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I'm an expert at ruining goggles via over-cleaning them (Smith I/OX)

Firstly, my eyes water a lot; that means a drippy salty mess inside my Smith goggles that you're not supposed to touch. So my first solution was to remove the lenses, cover up that little breathing port and gently rinse them with warm water. Don't do that, at least not with Smith goggles. The inner and outer lenses have that foam gasket glued to both sides. The glue is water soluble and you will get water in between the two. The only workable solution is to be a fanatic about keeping them dry on the inside when you enter the lodge. The first thing I look for is the tissue dispenser to soak up any frozen tears and ice crystals. I'm not wiping the lens, just getting rid of anything that will melt and drip on the inside. Don't leave them stuck to your helmet and never upside down.

My ultimate solution was to get rid of the Smiths and switch to ABOM which has a heated lens and can be cleaned more conventionally.

Sponsor

Staff online