• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am an expert downhill skier (in top difficulty locals clinic at Taos Ski Valley, etc) and I know there are options in my area (Lake Fork Peak for example) for backcountry skiing. I also know there is at least one group here in northern New Mexico that does backcountry skiing classes. I am comfortable hiking uphill in boots, and have hiked the ridges and Kachina Peak at Taos Ski Valley many times. I'm in good aerobic shape as I do a lot of endurance cycling.

I am a bit baffled at how to get started in AT and backcountry skiing without dropping boatloads of money on equipment and instruction up front.

Is there someplace in the west/southwest, say Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico, where I can go and get instruction and equipment rentals? How else could I get started dabbling in this type of skiing?

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good question, Brock. I am just starting myself this season. I am an expert downhill skier like you, probably not in as good as shape, I didn't bike much this summer. I have a friend who has been doing it at resorts for a few years, so I had him show me all his gear and I learned a lot from his trials and tribulations. I read a lot on line. I also found a few resorts in NE that rent the gear and have classes and and organized tours. I did drop a lot of money on my setup (about $2K), I would advise used gear to save money. I bought boots that I will use for race team coaching, and my skis should work for 50/50 skiing. But I have plenty of downhill skis without this set up, so I just dropped a lot of money, no matter how I might want to look at it.

The only real tip I can give is get some "frame bindings" and put them on a light'ish downhill ski and skins. That will allow you to try it out and work fine for shorter distances.

You will go in different terrain than me, so avalanche training is more important for you. I just want to go out in the woods and do some resort side country in the woods. There are pugskiers who are knowledgeable and might let you tag along. I did go to a shop that had used gear, but it was mostly tech bindings and uphill oriented boots. This may not be the best site for AT skiing, although there are very knowledgeable people here, I suspect they do both AT and downhill.

I am probably not much help but I can sympathize and say don't get discouraged, you will find something that works for your budget.

TS
Brock Tice

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks, Scott! I could spend a bunch up front but I'm afraid I may find I can't actually do it very much and the equipment will sit, so I definitely would like to try to get something used to start with, and ideally rent something even before that so I know what I need and what to look for. I generally try to do that with any endeavor before spending the big bucks to get exactly what I want, as when I'm starting I have no idea what that will be.

headybrew

surrender to the flow
Skier
Timely thread. I am sure you can find something closer to you but we'd welcome you up here in Colorado.

Winter Park/Grand County Colorado just launched a website promoting the backcountry opportunities here.
https://www.playwinterpark.com/backcountry

The YMCA's Snow Mountain Ranch looks like they have instruction and rentals for $129 per day
https://snowmountainranch.org/activities/intro-backcountry-skiing/

Rentals without instruction can be had for $50/day at Icebox Mountain Sports (or others)
http://www.iceboxmountainsports.com/rentals.html

A week up here with the YMCA class, some inbounds skiing, and a couple a days on a pass Berthoud, Loveland, etc. with AT rental gear would be a nice week and let you gain experience but lodging and travel costs could add up. Really depends on what you consider to be a boatload of money.

TS
Brock Tice

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Timely thread. I am sure you can find something closer to you but we'd welcome you up here in Colorado.

A week up here with the YMCA class, some inbounds skiing, and a couple a days on a pass Berthoud, Loveland, etc. with AT rental gear would be a nice week and let you gain experience but lodging and travel costs could add up. Really depends on what you consider to be a boatload of money.

When I say a boatload of money I mean the cost of brand new boots, bindings, and skis of the type I would like, mounting, etc, so probably $2k+. Spending money on lessons and ski days I wouldn't really count, it's a somewhat-blind expensive equipment purchase I really want to avoid. Also I can drive 6 hours no problem, adding plane tickets would be a bigger commitment.

Thank you for the links/info, that's exactly what I was hoping to find!

Last edited:

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
From what I've seen, the tough part is that outside of school programs, there's little instruction opportunities beyond an "intro to backcountry." So the way to get into it, ultimately, is to find the local backcountry community and meet people to tour with. AAIRE 1 classes often have a half day field/tour component, and that's another opportunity to meet people and learn about the community. Figuring out how to use the equipment and be efficient on the skin up is 1/3 of the challenge. The other 2/3s are getting proficient at route finding/managing group dynamics/avalanche safety savvy...

Some ski areas have uphill policies, too, which can help with figuring out equipment.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I am an expert downhill skier (in top difficulty locals clinic at Taos Ski Valley, etc) and I know there are options in my area (Lake Fork Peak for example) for backcountry skiing. I also know there is at least one group here in northern New Mexico that does backcountry skiing classes. I am comfortable hiking uphill in boots, and have hiked the ridges and Kachina Peak at Taos Ski Valley many times. I'm in good aerobic shape as I do a lot of endurance cycling.

I am a bit baffled at how to get started in AT and backcountry skiing without dropping boatloads of money on equipment and instruction up front.

Is there someplace in the west/southwest, say Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico, where I can go and get instruction and equipment rentals? How else could I get started dabbling in this type of skiing?

Last season was my first one backcountry skiing with AT gear.

I did a few things, first, got informed. Talked to people in the know, went to avalanche awareness presentations and took a 6 day backcountry skiing workshop. The presentations were free, the workshop, $200 total.

I read up on gear, tried some at the shops and rented a few backcountry setups before committing to purchasing anything. Bentgate Mountaineering in Golden, Co have several awesome AT setups for rent.

Once I got the gear, I read up some more and practiced. A lot. At first I used my AT gear at the resorts early or late when they are closed (A Basin and LL allow uphill travel most days).

Out in the backcountry your gear is your life. Specially if you are alone. If things fail (you and/ or your gear) you have to fix it, if you cant, you have to walk out (slow and tiring in deep snow), if you cant then you have to call for help, if you cant then you have to pray that someone else sees you and if no one does then you will be out there for a long time most likely.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Just got this on my FB feed

Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 3.28.13 PM.png

Gettes

Booting up
Skier
I would second Scott B's recommendation. I took the plunge on the gear after renting and trying it out last year. Get some frame bindings(I got both my kids new Adrenalin 13's last year for $230) and a set of skins and start on a mountain that allows uphill. According to the interweb Santa Fe and Sandia Peak allow you to go uphill for no charge. If you dig it then you can start doing the education and gear buying. You'll probably bump into others skinning and can get more local info from them for other locations to try out as well. $2000 is only going to get you the skis/boots/bindings/skins as well, expect to drop another $1000 +/- getting your avy gear, pack, and all the other odds and ends you should do if traveling in avalanche terrain.

TS
Brock Tice

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
According to the interweb Santa Fe and Sandia Peak allow you to go uphill for no charge.

I know people skin up toward Wheeler Peak from the area of the Bavarian at TSV as well.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here is a website which has just tons of useful information.
https://www.wildsnow.com
You can find information on , skis, boots, bindings, poles, shovels, probes, avy beacons and avalanche safety ect.
I used this site when I outfitted myself about three years ago. It is also possible to do this for about $1000. I bought my skis on STP for cheap, my Dynafit speed radical bindings on sale for about $300, a pair of Dynafit TLT 6 boots from Craigslist for less then $300, skins from a Climbing Skins Direct sale, a close out probe for cheap, same thing with for a shovel, and I got a avalanche beacon for Christmas. I can't agree more about taking an avalanche class.
K2 has a nice instruction videos on their website about backcountry skiing. They are done by Mike Hattrup who is quite the backcountry guru. I think they are also on YouTube. I disagree about getting frame bindings. They're just too heavy especially when used with a downhill boot. If you're going to be serious about this, get AT pin tech bindings and boots.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Here is a website which has just tons of useful information.
https://www.wildsnow.com
You can find information on , skis, boots, bindings, poles, shovels, probes, avy beacons and avalanche safety ect.
I used this site when I outfitted myself about three years ago. It is also possible to do this for about $1000. I bought my skis on STP for cheap, my Dynafit speed radical bindings on sale for about $300, a pair of Dynafit TLT 6 boots from Craigslist for less then $300, skins from a Climbing Skins Direct sale, a close out probe for cheap, same thing with for a shovel, and I got a avalanche beacon for Christmas. I can't agree more about taking an avalanche class.
K2 has a nice instruction videos on their website about backcountry skiing. They are done by Mike Hattrup who is quite the backcountry guru. I think they are also on YouTube. I disagree about getting frame bindings. They're just too heavy especially when used with a downhill boot. If you're going to be serious about this, get AT pin tech bindings and boots.

^^^Yeah!

I forgot to mention that I got a frame binding first and mounted them on a pair of skis I already had. The setup worked well, specially once I got a good pair of boots. But for longer tours the pin bindings are just better overall. Not just because they are lighter, they feel better in walk mode and are easier to step into and step out of (very valuable in soft snow). Switching modes is also very simple so not much to go wrong. Nowadays there are some awesome choices in new and used AT gear.

One thing I should mention is that before you take the avalanche course be very familiar with using your AT gear. You want to go out and not be having issues with it since the course is focused on snow science and traveling safely in the backcountry and not AT ski gear per se. It is assumed you know how to use it already.

JPM

Booting up
Skier
Get with the group that does the backcountry touring in your area.

Regarding equipment;
Rent gear first. Some REI stores rent AT gear.
If you buy, grams count.
Get AT boots not hybrids (freeride boots and boots with walk to ride soles) if you are serious about touring
Tech bindings not frames.
Light skis. You will be surprised how touring skis behave.
I went from a 108mm mid freeride ski, tech system and freeride boots to an 88mm touring ski (1305g), lighter tech system (461g), touring boots @ (1100g) and shed @ 1700g per leg (3.7 lbs). The numbers reflect one ski, one boot, and one toe and heel. I admit, it took a couple of days to dial the kit in on the down but now don't really want to ski any of the other skis hanging on the wall, including a new 96 mm touring ski.
Don't get hung up on ski brakes. You like, use them. You don't, use leashes.

Two very good touring focused shops are Skimoco in Cottonwood Heights, UT and Cripple Creek in Carbondale and Vail, CO. I am sure there are other great shops around however, these are two that have very informative web sites. Especially Skimoco.

Interesting read from Skimoco in Cottonwood Heights Ut.
https://skimo.co/light-is-right

Genuine Gear Guide (G3)
https://www.genuineguidegear.com/life/blog/g3/why-weight-matters

Also, G3 has an educational blog in their website.

Tele might be a good option. I can't help you with that, my knees won't let me.

Just my 2 cents.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If rentals are tough to find in your area, going for a cheap used setup isn't a bad idea. My friends from the central/east side of Washington have had luck with eBay or facebook groups like Turns All Year (or the website, if anyone is still moderating it -- if so, personal yardsale is housed under trip reports for some reason), or Seattle/Bellingham/Whistler-Squamish craigslist pages and put together a basic setup for around $200-300 before boots. If/when they upgrade, they tend to be able to resell and recoup most of what they got it for. A lot more involved than rentals, but a few have lucked out with good setups that they've kept and loved.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lots of people skin up Ski Santa Fe and that can give you an idea if you like going uphill. It has its own kind of appeal, but it's definitely not for everyone. (I don't know Taos's policy)

The Big T is low danger backcountry area that you can get to without AT gear. But you need to go with someone who knows the area because you don't want to get lost. There are other backcountry areas off Ski Santa Fe, but they are more avalanche prone and you'd need a knowledgeable guide/group or a lot more experience.

Do a search on the forums here. I saw someone is selling Tyrolia Attack AT bindings I think. Maybe you can put them on your rock skis or on some used skis and just try it out to see if you like it before committing to workshops and gear.

I have skinned inbounds for exercise both in frame bindings and a tele setup. (I preferred the tele, even though I am not a terribly good tele skier. If you really get into it, I am pretty sure you'll want pin bindings, boots, etc.

@pais alto may be able to point you to a community of backcountry folks in NM.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ooops. Just realized he hasn't posted since July, so may not be helpful. Hope he is OK and just busy. Very nice person.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A name request! :ogcool: I live in Santa Fe and bc ski a lot around here and Taos There is a fair-sized community of folks that ski bc and/or just skin up at the SF ski area. Here is a local NM forum I oversee that should be helpful if you sign up and read and ask questions.
http://www.nnmae.org/phpbb3/index.php

You might be able to find some partners/mentors there and used/cheap gear there in the Yard Sale subforum. The Santa Fe REI might rent AT gear, but I don’t know for sure. I’m not aware of any other rentals, though there might be some in Taos. Ask on the forum.

Avy 1 courses usually are held a couple times a year in northern NM, in Taos and at Pajarito. Look in the Education sub forum at nnmae.org. The avy training should be your priority if you plan to head up towards Williams Lake.

Feel free to PM me here or through nnmae.org (I’m Bob, the mod/admin).

Hi @Jerez!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January