• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How to handle no-way, no-go boots an elite boot fitter recommended?

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
OP(er), I have been to a lot of boot fitters. First if you start off working with "the man" (or woman), it sucks to when you are handed off to someone else or a change occurs. If you go back make a push to work with the fitter you trusted from the start.

I hope that your search for a new boot includes Lange - not suggesting it's a solution but you have had some success there. If anything, Lange might be a good base line. Or they could be the ticket. Does your shop offer Lange?
They were out of stock in Lange, but they have them at a couple other branches around the west. Maybe they can order some in for me ....

DerKommissar

Getting on the lift
Skier
High instep, 27.5 length here who also tried the Hawx Prime 110, but could not get the instep to work and I was not sure I wanted to commit to grinding the board. Just wondering if the instep has improved after your modifications. Primes are thin and light but well made- I'm not surprised that you found them to not be stiff enough given your past experience. I bet a 120 lange or another brand (not K2 or Atomic) would work better for you.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Don't change horses in the middle of a stream.
Talk to your fitter and let him know what your fit problems are in no uncertain terms. Your "a little tight on the instep" might have been interpreted in the context of a former princess and pea customer's "it's crushing my foot" followed by a very slight adjustment to "it's too loose".

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
High instep, 27.5 length here who also tried the Hawx Prime 110, but could not get the instep to work and I was not sure I wanted to commit to grinding the board. Just wondering if the instep has improved after your modifications. Primes are thin and light but well made- I'm not surprised that you found them to not be stiff enough given your past experience. I bet a 120 lange or another brand (not K2 or Atomic) would work better for you.
Thanks for your post, your foot understands my foot in relationship to the Hawx Prime.

Even with a baseboards ground down the instep is still a problem. The shell overlaps more now, doesn't need to be dragged closed from gaping open with the instep buckle. It just barely overlaps with my foot in the boot unbuckle.

But even with my whole foot lowered with the baseboard grind, The ankle strap is low enough on the Hawx Prime that the bottom of it pressures the indentation at the most rearward part of my instep where the blood vessels are most exposed. Even with the boots fairly loose some circulation is cut off, and because the plastic in these boots is stretchy, I need to crank them down to get enough tension through the plastic for them to be supportive. And still there is no supportive enough for me with these boots, they're sketchy when I ski fast and I'm on high alert all the time and my legs burn like crazy in them.

I'm going to set them aside for now, there's absolutely no use skiing in them. Life is too short. And I'll get an appointment when the original fitter. He really does know what he's doing, and he communicated well too. I think that I'm just a tough case. I've got a hard foot to fit, long levers, and I have weird skiing habits. Fitter was a very bright and engaged guy and quite concerned that the boots fit me and work well for me. I'm sure it will be a good experience going back.

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Meanwhile bought these off eBay for $85, same as my old boots but one size smaller and 120 flex instead of 130. At minimum should give me a couple of useful data points. At best new inserts and some boot fitting work and I'm good to go .....

Screenshot_20230324_085428_eBay.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Because you seem to have difficult to fit feet...you probably have to decide between the DIY on the cheap approach and a full service end to end bootfitter approach. You won't get the full impact of a professional boot fitter fit boot without also being willing to purchase one of the boots/sizes they recommend you start with. Bringing them big box or eBay boots MIGHT end up better than what you started with, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

"Most" people can take a fairly close fit to a boot fitter and get good results. Some people might have a much smaller pool of "good" candidate boots to start with.

DerKommissar

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thanks for your post, your foot understands my foot in relationship to the Hawx Prime.

Even with a baseboards ground down the instep is still a problem. The shell overlaps more now, doesn't need to be dragged closed from gaping open with the instep buckle. It just barely overlaps with my foot in the boot unbuckle.

But even with my whole foot lowered with the baseboard grind, The ankle strap is low enough on the Hawx Prime that the bottom of it pressures the indentation at the most rearward part of my instep where the blood vessels are most exposed. Even with the boots fairly loose some circulation is cut off, and because the plastic in these boots is stretchy, I need to crank them down to get enough tension through the plastic for them to be supportive. And still there is no supportive enough for me with these boots, they're sketchy when I ski fast and I'm on high alert all the time and my legs burn like crazy in them.

I'm going to set them aside for now, there's absolutely no use skiing in them. Life is too short. And I'll get an appointment when the original fitter. He really does know what he's doing, and he communicated well too. I think that I'm just a tough case. I've got a hard foot to fit, long levers, and I have weird skiing habits. Fitter was a very bright and engaged guy and quite concerned that the boots fit me and work well for me. I'm sure it will be a good experience going back.
Interesting- I also had issues with the shell not completely closing over the instep. I found that the s/pro in 27.5 had just enough extra instep height to make it work, but the forefoot fit was a tad looser. I tried the prime in 28.5 and magna in 27.5- they were good for instep, but sloppy elsewhere, and fit worse than the s/pro. Good luck with your search- getting the instep right is important, and I think its the hardest part of the boot to fix. Best to start with a good fit on that one and modify other parts if needed.

JChockey22

Putting on skis
Skier
FWIW I went through a saga and a half getting new boots this season and learned no matter how good a fitter is etc how they feel in the shop after mods etc means nothing until skiing them. So I just bit the bullet and bought the 3 pairs the fitter picked out and had him mod them to my feet Btw like others have said sounds like you should be in a smaller boot I found that out this season when I measured almost a 28 and now am super happy in 26 Lvs and I have a really high instep and volume feet .. although next time I get new boots Im seriously considering trying to get a true custom boot from a company like I do my hockey skates I know thats not feasible price wise for some people ...but I learned you really cant put a price on ski boot bliss

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
They were out of stock in Lange, but they have them at a couple other branches around the west. Maybe they can order some in for me ....

If you bought the boot at Sturtevants or EVO they have a fit guarantee and would have no trouble taking the boot back and starting over. If your SX worked great, try an LX in a 27.5. The plastics in the Lange and the Atomics are completely different, so it's not surprising that they ski/feel different for you.

(There's not an honest fitter out there that's had a 100% success rate.)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
lol no I ski the Hawx Ultra its the most comfortable out of the 3 ( side note I have a second pair of hawx ultras that have never been skied for sale on here ) but I have 2 back up pairs now
Wow bold strategy to gamble that there won't be a better (for you) boot on the market by the time you put 150+ days on the boot you're currently using.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow bold strategy to gamble that there won't be a better (for you) boot on the market by the time you put 150+ days on the boot you're currently using.

My thought exactly.
A pair of boot is usually good for 200 to 300 days. Divide that by days skied per year. For a rec skier 3 pairs of boots adds up to lots of years.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My thought exactly.
A pair of boot is usually good for 200 to 300 days. Divide that by days skied per year. For a rec skier 3 pair of boots adds up to lots of years.

What if someone likes the color very much-like the Lange RS and they think-yeah Lange will always make boots in that colour and all of a sudden BAM take that! No more bright blue beauties anymore!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What if someone likes the color very much-like the Lange RS and they think-yeah Lange will always make boots in that colour and all of a sudden BAM take that! No more bright blue beauties anymore!

Suitability of a ski boot can take many forms. Just like ski top sheet graphic.
For many, the "look" is more important than the actual performance. TBH, most can't really discern the performance differences without looking at the model, spec, graphic and/or price tag.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Suitability of a ski boot can take many forms. Just like ski top sheet graphic.
For many, the "look" is more important than the actual performance. TBH, most can't really discern the performance differences without looking at the model, spec, graphic and/or price tag.

Dunno man, I just hope Atomic won’t get any crazy ideas about the colour of the Redsters.