• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How to improve as an adult

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Teach yourself to lift that new inside ski earlier and earlier in the turn.
This is awesome for speed control and shaping your turns. This had a huge impact on my skiing and if I have a run I'm not happy about and want to redo it, I mostly focus on this to make the next run better; especially on steeps but works everywhere. I did this today on Lower East Fall @ Killington!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
He really does exist. My tele instructor at Blue knows him, too. I can confirm he indeed wears a name badge that says “Dorsal.”
If his last name really is "Finn," then "Dorsal" is likely a fun nickname someone gave him. Like my sister's friend "Raisin" Caine.

MingDao

Booting up
Skier
Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread. Lots of good advice.
I also would like to inquire about adult focused ski carving technique camps / instructor recommendations in Europe?
Austria, Italy or Eastern Europe would be ideal.

zag

Putting on skis
Skier
3. Any instructor recommendations near Roundtop, Whitetail or Jack Frost? Any adult ski clinics in those areas worth checking out?
@hollyberry

Liberty plans to try to run the Adult ski camp program this year and it's a good program and they frequently take video on upper Ultra. You'll get top level coaches.

Despite what the website says presently, this year you're better off calling the ski school desk after they reopen than trying to book that online.

To early to say on Whitetail women's days but presumably they will resume this year. Have a pal that teaches that.

Despite Lib being the smaller local mtn, I can recommend meeting up with @recbumper as a good idea, a few of my pals ski with him regularly just ad hoc meeting on the snow.

TS
hollyberry

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
@hollyberry

Liberty plans to try to run the Adult ski camp program this year and it's a good program and they frequently take video on upper Ultra. You'll get top level coaches.

Despite what the website says presently, this year you're better off calling the ski school desk after they reopen than trying to book that online.

To early to say on Whitetail women's days but presumably they will resume this year. Have a pal that teaches that.

Despite Lib being the smaller local mtn, I can recommend meeting up with @recbumper as a good idea, a few of my pals ski with him regularly just ad hoc meeting on the snow.
These all sound really promising! Thank you!

TS
hollyberry

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
2--Get the video, especially shot from the side. Do it on a slope where you can think about your skiing, not the terrain nor the traffic. Look for your stance. If your hips are behind your heels, nothing will work as it should. You need to be standing tall with loose joints and up on the balls of your feet. Look at your arms. Try for a position about where your body would place them if you're walking over the slipperiest ice--natural balance, and not waving around. Your feet should be side by side about walking width apart where you've been balancing since you were a wee tot. Also get some footage of you skiing a steeper slope. The first things down the hill should be your hands, head, and shoulders. If you're leaning back toward the hill or swiveling your shoulders around in the direction of the turn, you're doomed. If you're heavy on the inside foot with the outside ski out there like a rudder--:eek:

For your equipment I can't find a review of the Viva 88. Does it have the backbone to hold on ice? As noted above, the edges need to be sharp enough to cut your pants cuffs. Your 95 flex boots are pretty soft unless you're a featherweight. In any case they need to fit like a lobster's shell. Comfy with no movement between your foot/ankle and the boot. Every movement of your leg needs to be immediately transferred by the boot to your ski. A good bootfitter can snug them up a bit if needed. For skiing on ice you need to make very smooth turn initiations. You need to slide the edge along the ice, not abruptly jerk it sideways. Once it breaks loose is skids along the surface until the next turn. C turns, not Z turns. The video will tell the tale.
(
)
(
) good turns

/
--
\
--
/ not good
I didn't remember the correct name of my ski. It's actually the Blizzard Viva 810X TI IQ, 160 cm length. It looks like this: https://www.evo.com/outlet/ski-packages/blizzard-viva-810x-ti-iq-skis-tp12-cm2-bindings

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Much-beloved skis; women still wonder why they aren't still in the lineup from Blizzard.
Could it possibly have something to do with being named "Blizzard Viva 810X TI IQ"?

In another thread someone asked why the Black Pearl was so popular. Well, one reason is that it has a good name.

TS
hollyberry

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
Could it possibly have something to do with being named "Blizzard Viva 810X TI IQ"?

In another thread someone asked why the Black Pearl was so popular. Well, one reason is that it has a good name.
I agree about the name!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Counterpoint: Elan had a monocoque Black Pearl system ski in their line up years before Blizzard - and none of the women on this board remember it.