• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How to increase edge angle while carving?

skipotato

Booting up
Skier
I'm not sure how to increase my edge angle without toppling over and/or pulling my flank muscles... I suspect I need to actively "push" forward my inside/uphill foot when entering a new turn? As of now, I just let my feet passively position themselves. I also wonder if I need a much wider stance; as of now, they're at comfortable shoulders' width apart, maybe with a space for x1.5 skis to fit.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm not sure how to increase my edge angle without toppling over and/or pulling my flank muscles... I suspect I need to actively "push" forward my inside/uphill foot when entering a new turn? As of now, I just let my feet passively position themselves. I also wonder if I need a much wider stance; as of now, they're at comfortable shoulders' width apart, maybe with a space for x1.5 skis to fit.

It's a fair question. And the specific answer depends a great deal of what you are currently doing in a ski turn - hence the request above for vid.

There's already a number of threads in Ski School here on the topic. Such as this one:

However your best bet is to take lessons with a suitable instructor. The issue with going faster, creating more edge angles and hence more forces is that it hurts more when things go wrong.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

The single most useful tip I got from an instructor was to pull the inside leg (which should carry little weight) back, so that you feel significant pressure on that shin. The pressure is not becuase you are pressing forward, but rather, pulling your foot backward. A great drill to go with this is the Javelin Turns.

But I hope we can get @LiquidFeet to help out. And I hope you stick around, in the forum!
:beercheer:

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
This might help:

Also get that inside knee out of the way, and long leg-short leg (shorten the inside leg as you ski the inside ski more inside the turn by tipping it onto its inside (little toe) edge while pulling it back.

edit to add the up-unweighting transition has its uses too.

Last edited:

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This might help: Also get that inside knee out of the way, and long leg-short leg (shorten the inside leg as you ski he inside ski more inside the turn by tipping it onto its inside (little toe) edge while pulling it back.

edit to add the up-unweighting transition has its uses too.
This is the only thing you need to do

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

You don't want to simply pull the inside (uphill) ski back, you also want to tip your inside foot to the inside of the turn as you pull it back. Hip width apart is good, you want vertical separation, not horizontal separation. You don't want to push on anything. You will be receiving pressure as you carve the turn and you simply want to manage that pressure. Even with pulling the inside foot back, tip lead of the inside ski can happen naturally as a result of bio mechanical physics, it's not necessarily a problem unless you always have excessive inside tip lead.

Now, there's a lot more going on in that paragraph ^ that is not said. So if any of that is at all not resonating with you, then take a lesson. Well, you should probably take a lesson or two, three, four...many, anyway - we all have and still do. Even expert/professional skiers seek lessons, or coaching from time to time.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
My take on getting bigger angles. Complete your turn.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wrong and wrong. Follow the suggestions in postings number 4 & 5. In the video in #5 notice how his feet are side by side. And notice how the narrow stance lets him tip to greater angles to the snow where a wide stance greatly hinders that.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
4 & 5 are very helpful, but high edge angles are part of great skiing that does not include "ass to the grass" turns. "Semi-carving" or cut-off turns that incorporate carved turns require high edge angles.

It's really fun to scream down a Blue using your edges for confidence doing 's' turns and and staying tall. There are many normal skiing situations where these carve turns that "aren't" - make one's skiing... amazing. This type of skiing is a great place to learn how set an edge to turn and for edge hold on firm/icy terrain.

Razie's skiing is awesome but for a newcomers work on it with a progression.

Last edited:

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
One of the hardest things to do it to learn to trust your edges. And that really depends on the ski. I've demo'd some stuff that I could not hang onto the skis once I got it out there. It'll take some time, but when it happens.....Yipee!!

Sponsor