• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How to know if a racing helmet is too tight?

Mike Faron

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hey everyone at the end of last season I bought a Briko racing helmet. I thought it was too tight on my cheek bones so I then bought the a POC racing helmet. I received it yesterday and it too was pretty tight, maybe even a little tighter than the Briko. I bought the M/L size based on the size I measured my head at, which was 22-3/4. I feel like if I go up to the next size the helmet will be too big and be moving around? I know the cheek pads might loosen up but I must say that they are pretty tight on the cheeks, to the point where it's uncomfortable and when I talk it is even tighter. Just wanted to see if that's normal or if I should try a bigger size?

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I bought a new Briko helmet over the summer and upon trying it on, it too felt snug/tight, especially in comparison to the old Marker helmet. Both were marked as the same size numbers, but the Briko was definitely tighter. I've now skied in it a few days and the feeling has subsided as the softer part of the liner may have packed out a little.

Heads and helmets have different sizes and shapes, you might need to try a few brands to see where the size and shape match your noggin.

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Heads and helmets have different sizes and shapes, you might need to try a few brands to see where the size and shape match your noggin.

I have found slight variances in the same model and size helmet; it may pay to try a few of the same ones in the shop.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
rule of thumb if your eyes look like this after wearing your helmet, it is probably too tight :roflmao:

1612462413042.png

Attachments

• 1612462409094.png
    1612462409094.png
    965.7 KB · Views: 3

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
The first ever time I bought an helmet, decided it would be worth to "acclimatize" to it at home. After half an hour got such an headache that went back to the shop to complain and eventually look for a the next size up. Got reassured by the dealer, that if that was my first ever ski helmet, it was normal. "just wait, it'll pass in a couple of sessions". And so it happened , even though, in my teen age years and early 20's I was used to motorcycle helmets and thought that I would have still retained that feeling in mymemory. It ain't so.
BTW, when I look at that helmet now, on my head..it looks enormous...

Sponsor

Staff online