• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How to setup inReach Mini to contact Ski Patrol when skiing inbounds.

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
Cell coverage at my local resort is spotty so I’ve decided to carry my inReach Mini when skiing inbounds. For those familiar with the inReach, it seems that sending a preset/quick SMS message to the ski patrol for assistance with location makes the most sense. I guess that assumes that the ski patrol phone number can receive sms messages. SOS seems like overkill. Please advise. Thanks.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cell coverage at my local resort is spotty so I’ve decided to carry my inReach Mini when skiing inbounds. For those familiar with the inReach, it seems that sending a preset/quick SMS message to the ski patrol for assistance with location makes the most sense. I guess that assumes that the ski patrol phone number can receive sms messages. SOS seems like overkill. Please advise. Thanks.
inReach can also send emails, not that that seems like a better alternative.

I'd just walk into the main ski patrol office ask. They may very well not have a good answer, but asking might just spur them into figuring out whether they can provide an emergency text message contact. It's not a bad idea in general if the area has spotty coverage. Even a regular cell phone is more likely to be able to send an SMS than make a call, and that SMS might just provide the minutes needed to save someone in an emergency.

I wouldn't rule out SOS in a real emergency, but if you're already at a resort, you'll almost certainly be better off sending someone to find an employee. That SOS is also going to be expensive, and might activate resources that are totally unnecessary under the circumstances and would be better left for someone else. Even a text message sent via inReach can take minutes to go out under ideal circumstances, so you'll almost certainly get a faster response if you're able to just send someone to get help.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
inReach can also send emails, not that that seems like a better alternative.

I'd just walk into the main ski patrol office ask.

This. My bet is that if you punch the SOS button it will go to the sheriff's office. With ski patrol being the closest first responders to your location, the sheriff will probably alert patrol, instead of scrambling a SAR mission. Email ski patrol and sheriff's office. You want paper trail on their responses.

I love my InReach Mini. It provides huge piece of mind. If I am going to be late because I am having too much fun, I can ping my wife and she doesn't stress. I purchased mine after a lack of comm on a multi-day backcountry trip triggered a $23,000 helicopter flight. It was a 12 minute flight. That is like 2 weeks of heli skiing.

Note: IME, the emails take forever to transmit. Text, maybe 15 minutes.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Our area has a cell phone that lives in dispatch for purposes just like this.

It's also quite useful for calling in sweeps / routes.

scvaughn

Seeking altitude...
Skier
This. My bet is that if you punch the SOS button it will go to the sheriff's office. With ski patrol being the closest first responders to your location, the sheriff will probably alert patrol, instead of scrambling a SAR mission. Email ski patrol and sheriff's office. You want paper trail on their responses.

I love my InReach Mini. It provides huge piece of mind. If I am going to be late because I am having too much fun, I can ping my wife and she doesn't stress. I purchased mine after a lack of comm on a multi-day backcountry trip triggered a $23,000 helicopter flight. It was a 12 minute flight. That is like 2 weeks of heli skiing.

Note: IME, the emails take forever to transmit. Text, maybe 15 minutes.
I also love my InReach Mini, but wouldn't use it for an in-bounds skiing emergency. It's great for peace of mind while climbing in the middle of nowhere, not so much in areas where alternate communication services are available.

Sponsor