• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
https://www.skiessentials.com/

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor

This week on Chairlift Chat we walk through the process of trying on ski boots. Buying ski boots online can be tough, we understand that, but knowing how to properly try on a boot can really help dial in a correct fit. Of course, it's always worth going to see a boot fitter if you can, but not all of us live in an area with competent boot fitters.

Missile Bandits

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I was just "there" trying on boots. The thing I did not like was the "boot tech" telling me each boot can be heated and fit to my foot. We can "blow out the toe" if it hits. So what happens next season when the "last" has padded out and I have too much room in the boot. Can they heat it up and shrink it? I want a boot to fit right Right out of the box. I have always been able to find one. Technica has been my boot of choice for my wide feet. Now the Technica seems to have put in a built in hinge that allows my ankle to flex. even on the 130. so I am looking elsewhere.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was just "there" trying on boots. The thing I did not like was the "boot tech" telling me each boot can be heated and fit to my foot. We can "blow out the toe" if it hits. So what happens next season when the "last" has padded out and I have too much room in the boot. Can they heat it up and shrink it? I want a boot to fit right Right out of the box.

I'm going to respectfully disagree that this is the best way to go about the boot buying process. A good bootfitter understands what will happen when a liner packs out and can make allowances. A boot that seems to fit in the shop will often end up being too big as heat, sweat, and time progress. Maybe it's just me, but I really enjoy my narrow lasted boots with a front punch for my freaky long big toe, and a side punch for my freaky sixth toe. I find I'm tons more comfortable and have way more control.

You do have to find a good bootfitter though, not just a high school kid working weekends to pay for booze.

Missile Bandits

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I understand, and respect , the "odd foot appendages". But some of us have "normal" feet. I don't have "custom footbeds" in my work boots that I am on for 10 hours. Why do they think I need them on a ski boot that I'll be on for 6 hours tops.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I understand, and respect , the "odd foot appendages". But some of us have "normal" feet. I don't have "custom footbeds" in my work boots that I am on for 10 hours. Why do they think I need them on a ski boot that I'll be on for 6 hours tops.

That doesn't seem like a good analogy to me, but I don't know what you do in the work boots. I'd think the ski boots are counted on to be a lot more precise and translate your foots motion a lot better than work boots.

That said, I don't have custom footbeds either - though I'm getting some tomorrow, after wanting some more precise support and getting some sole ache/pain last season.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

You don't have a 6' extension attached to you work boot while trolling around a slippery surface at 30 MPH.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Just wondering if anyone trying on new boots does it in the morning? Because if you do it in the evening your feet are swollen some after being on your feet all day. When we go out to ski we most likely do that in the morning when our feet are at their smallest so purchasing them would be best around the same time frame of use.
P.S. That is the time of day when I purchased mine and that has worked out very well..

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
I really don't understand as I said nothing about custom foot beds, which are another topic altogether. But it's seems as though you might be confused about some of the terminology and suggestions (lasts cannot pad out and nowhere were footbeds mentioned). At this point I will "respectfully" remove myself from the conversation.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just wondering if anyone trying on new boots does it in the morning? Because if you do it in the evening your feet are swollen some after being on your feet all day. When we go out to ski we most likely do that in the morning when our feet are at their smallest so purchasing them would be best around the same time frame of use.
P.S. That is the time of day when I purchased mine and that has worked out very well..
I do it with compression socks because I've learned the hard way that variable size feet and ski boots don't go together well.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I need to spend more time on shell fit than is brought out in this video. Much more.
Liners pack and get replaced with use. The fit I'm looking for is in the shell.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I need to spend more time on shell fit than is brought out in this video. Much more.
Liners pack and get replaced with use. The fit I'm looking for is in the shell.

The video and the written description in the OP did not show the buyer doing a shell fit. If you're going to buy a ski boot without the help of a bootfitter, as the person shown is doing, you can still do a shell fit on your own. It's important, and easy to do. Leaving it out is ... oh ... unsettling, I guess.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dude's in a 24.5. :thumb:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Well, OK, but how did he know to choose a 24.5? The video is for people who don't know diddly about choosing boots. The issue of volume gets lost as well without a shell fit and a consequent look at the amount of air right there at the bend in the ankle. Consumers need to know this stuff, dontchathink?.

Last edited:
TS
SkiEssentials

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
We went back and forth about whether or not to include how to shell fit yourself. That's a little more of an advanced method, at least for most people. This video and article was intended more to be a guide to how a new boot is going to feel, and we also think that if you're really focusing on what your toes are touching, or rather not touching, you'll get a pretty good sense of whether or not it fits. Also, we tried to focus more on the actual method of putting on your boots properly in this video, as we think that's a relatively common problem for people.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We went back and forth about whether or not to include how to shell fit yourself. That's a little more of an advanced method, at least for most people. This video and article was intended more to be a guide to how a new boot is going to feel, and we also think that if you're really focusing on what your toes are touching, or rather not touching, you'll get a pretty good sense of whether or not it fits. Also, we tried to focus more on the actual method of putting on your boots properly in this video, as we think that's a relatively common problem for people.
I bought my first pair of Lange RX100 from you online several years ago, and thought I knew enough to get a tight correct fit. I was wrong and had to sell those boots two years later when they packed out. I sold my old skis as well at the local shop ski swap, then used that funding to move down a size (only one though!) into RS130, so I count that as win in the long run. These were fit reasonably well by the shop folks (clearly not experts) when I insisted I wanted a true performance fit. They did shell fits and all that to ensure the length and last were correct with an RS/RX vs other boots they had like Dalbellos. I wanted the RX130 LV, but they weren't available in a 30.5. Man, those boots were vices until they packed out a little in their first year. My toes still brush the front of the boots when not actively skiing.

If I skied Stowe, I would drop by for a proper fitting, but that drive is too much from the PA/DE border for regular skiing!