• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How's the edge tuning quality by Razor tune?

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
US, shipped immediatly, left US in 3 days, then kinda never arrived anywhere, and in limbo for 5 weeks before they found it locally

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
did up my first pair of skis, will hit the slopes shortly, some edge shots attached

The manual and what was needed was definetly true and accurate, I needed the course, with a few passes to get where I wanted. ease of use was great, if you put your fingers where there are "put fingers here" marks in your manual, life is good.

Plastic slider on base of machine has been very kind to me.

Buddy wanted to do his also before we ski... so now I'm sitting here waiting.... before we can ski... I probably shouldnt have said to him I got it eh . he might be getting 3 degrees on his skis as I'm not sure I feel like changeing edge angles.... and I feel like knowing how long it takes to change edge from an 88 ski to a 87.
2022-03-18 17.39.50.jpg

2022-03-18 17.39.58.jpg

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well like I said, did up 2 skis, skied them both (traded with buddy).

Color me impressed.

Effort vs result was darn good, pricepoint, very very happy.

James

Out There
Instructor
So the photo of the edge was with the coarse wheel?

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Medium wheel in pic, realllife look are kinda different, its very very smooth to touch.

Think of it as the finish you get with the whirly disc on stainless steel, its more of a pattern, than an actual thing you can feel.

honestly the course wheel finsh is superb, thats what I just did on the kendos, you can see & feel the difference though

I tried course/ medium / fine on the deacon v-werks just for kicks, didnt take pics though.

Fine... I suspect GF will love fine & medium, since she likes to ski on razers.

Course is still much finer than what you will get from a shop tune.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sooo got a few ski days on misc skis now. I'm impressed, will do up a bunch of skis tonight before we hit the mountains for almost a week! hopeing for some more fresh snow, but forecast might leave us with some need for fresh edges.

Will also try it on my race skis now.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Another mini update, setting 87 from a stock 88'ish with variable quality takes some time, with new skis, or extremly variable skis (often new skis) and extra course would be nice.

setting 87 from buddies ski who said he had 87 took 20 passes with course no idea what he had, but closer to 89 than 87. had to do massive sidewall removal as there was 0 chance of setting an edge without it. He set his edges, without any topsheet tuning or sidewall removal, lets just say there was 0 chance for setting an 87 ;) Please disregard screwdriver on floor, it bugged me when looking through pictures.

I showed him on a pair of skis, and he was doing his own in notime.

With a diamond file a marker on edges can sometimes be misleading, same with file as shavings can remove it, with the razortune its soooo easy, but easy regardless to say.

brand new x9RS was also nowhere near an 87 stock, required 10-15 passes with course

Still on first charge, will let you know how long it works, might grab a multimeter to check SOC as we go. got 5 days of skiiing coming up.. and we will literally bring a trailer full of skis.

2022-03-22 21.14.57.jpg

2022-03-22 20.56.55.jpg

Reactions: mdf

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Another mini update, setting 87 from a stock 88'ish with variable quality takes some time, with new skis, or extremly variable skis (often new skis) and extra course would be nice.

setting 87 from buddies ski who said he had 87 took 20 passes with course no idea what he had, but closer to 89 than 87. had to do massive sidewall removal as there was 0 chance of setting an edge without it. He set his edges, without any topsheet tuning or sidewall removal, lets just say there was 0 chance for setting an 87 ;) Please disregard screwdriver on floor, it bugged me when looking through pictures.

With a diamond file a marker on edges can sometimes be misleading, same with file as shavings can remove it, with the razortune its soooo easy, but easy regardless to say.

brand new x9RS was also nowhere near an 87 stock, required 10-15 passes with course

Still on first charge, will let you know how long it works, might grab a multimeter to check SOC as we go. got 5 days of skiiing coming up.. and we will literally bring a trailer full of skis.

View attachment 164077
View attachment 164078

extra coarse version might get to you for next ski season

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier

extra coarse version might get to you for next ski season
well I'll be....

Coarse (Perfect for tuning dull skis)

Extra Course (For tuning dull skis and setting proper edge angle)

maybe read some more eh. but this thing is pretty darn cool.

Putting in order now. asking them to ship non usps this time...

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I use the extra course for the start of setting new edge angles; course for really dull skis, med for most weekly edge sharpening, fine for polishing and daily tun-up refreshing on race skis....

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
we will literally bring a trailer full of skis.
Can't top that, but we're touring New England ending up at the NE Gathering. Left with 6 pairs in a Subaru Outback, now have 7 pairs and we may pick up a pair for our oldest granddaughter. Yep, I have issues............. :ogbiggrin:

Back to the original topic, I'm this close to ordering a Razor Tune................

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
A RT will most likely be on my tuning bench for next season. Other than some reliability issues, which were addressed by the RT team, I've not heard complaints about it.

Burton

Getting on the lift
Skier
Nice. I’m thinking battery is the way to go.
When my power brick died, I ordered the battery as a replacement. Big time upgrade! I felt like the fanciest guy ever when I pulled out my cordless RT in the coaches locker room and threw an edge on my beat up coaching skis just leaning 'em against my locker. Lots of ooohh's and ahhhh's.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier

View attachment 164077
View attachment 164078
20 passes, WTF? :eek: I have never done anymore than 3 or 4 tops! You do know you can move the machine up and back as you move down the skis, like a diamond stone. But even then, 20 passes is craziness!

Has anyone else had to do this many passes?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I reset a friends skis from a dull 1 side to a sharp 2 side using my (other brand) edger. The long part was prepping the sidewall. But I have a coarse (or extra coarse -- forget which and I'm not near it right now) and it only took 2 or 3 passes to change the side angle. Probably wouldn't have attempted with the fine wheel.

I did it in the garage of the rental house at Taos. It's a great tool.

Edit to add -- I used the sharpie on the edge trick to make sure I had gotten all the way across the edge. There were a couple spots I had to rework slightly.

Now if you didn't remove the sidewall some other way and you were trying to power through the plastic with the wheel, that might take 20 passes. And ruin your wheel.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
20 passes, WTF? :eek: I have never done anymore than 3 or 4 tops! You do know you can move the machine up and back as you move down the skis, like a diamond stone. But even then, 20 passes is craziness!

Has anyone else had to do this many passes?
I have bought the extracourse now!

I'm lovin the razor-tune and the tunes!

Sponsor

Staff online