• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How's the edge tuning quality by Razor tune?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The panzer is much faster than a Dremel.

Since we drifted to working on the sidewall.

Thanks for posting this as it spurred me on to do another once over on my eTitans that haven’t had the glide of all my other skis when on edge. Have used the high degree guide/panzer file method but weren’t perfect and was going to tackle them again this Fall.

Just went over by them with finer files (free hand-cleaning often), then 180grit sandpaper and finally a Scotch Brite pad. 10 mins of work and now finally the sidewalls are perfectly smooth and catch free.
Now we wait for snow…..

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @James and @KingGrump I think I have what I need for now. I appreciate the replies. Now I just need the Razor Tune cordless to be back in stock.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
PSA #2, you can now pre-order the cordless with a mid-August ship date. I pre-ordered and got the sale price. I imagine it'll go back to normal price soon or maybe more the way inflation is right now.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Extra coarse and medium wheel is a good combo if choosing the 2-wheel option? Yes?

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I went with the medium and fine combo. Maybe once I get comfortable using it I’ll add the coarse but for now I’d rather not use a wheel that takes more material off in one pass.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I mostly use the fine wheel with my EVO. I don’t know how the compares to a RT fine. Even if I use the medium wheel I just finish the job by hand which I think is easier than changing wheels several times. YMMV

dm

Gina D

Getting off the lift
Skier
PSA #2, you can now pre-order the cordless with a mid-August ship date. I pre-ordered and got the sale price. I imagine it'll go back to normal price soon or maybe more the way inflation is right now.

Thanks for this. Is the $120 price for the Battery Kit with charger the sale price or is there a code you need to use to make it less? If not, what is the regular price?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Extra coarse and medium wheel is a good combo if choosing the 2-wheel option? Yes?

Coarse and medium should do the trick. Most of the work is done with the medium wheel. The coarse is used for resetting edge angles only.

Thanks for this. Is the $120 price for the Battery Kit with charger the sale price or is there a code you need to use to make it less? If not, what is the regular price?

$120 for the battery and charger is the regular price.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
:huh:

He is probably getting a cordless kit rather than the stand alone battery and charger.

Gina D

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks @KingGrump once you edited your post to add the sentence to the ::huh:: I figured out what you meant. The kits are on sale. I had been assuming he was just adding the battery and charger kit.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The price of the battery and charger hurts. Even for a tool nut like me.
The two disc with battery kit for $650 is a good buy. I paid lot more for the corded kit few years back.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Sorry, I've been away from the computer today. Yes, I bought the kit. Razor Tune wasn't selling the cordless kit until the battery pack was available. Thanks @KingGrump for answering!

breck

Getting on the lift
Skier
Got my Razor Tune, now wondering how to manage the super-fine metal dust. Has anyone come up with a magnet or vacuum arrangement so I can tune in a basement with all sorts of sensitive electronics (R/C airplane crap, stereo) or in the kitchen with all sorts of sensitive life partner? If I am supposed to mask up then it is probably a bad item in general to have in the environment. Filing/diamond stones don't seem to make a mess, I use alcohol/water spray that keeps it down.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you want to capture the metal dust coming off the grinding wheel, probably best with a home made lower vacuum shroud attached to the grinder guard.
A small shallow bowl cut in half with couple strips of velcro should work. 1/2" PVC hose should work as a vacuum hose.
Be aware there will be some handling penalty with the additional attachments.
A 2 stage vacuum (bag and HEPA) should capture close to 100% of the metal dust. Be sure to remove and discard the vacuum dust bag at the end of EVERY tuning session to reduce fire hazard.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I use baby wipes to clean the disc & edge. Has not been an issue.

Sponsor

Staff online