• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How's the edge tuning quality by Razor tune?

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I only use mine outside...
I think this is how I'm going to solve the problem as well. I may make a portable vise setup on a strip of 3/4" plywood that I can carry up to the deck and clamp to the railing for quick setup.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I think this is how I'm going to solve the problem as well. I may make a portable vise setup on a strip of 3/4" plywood that I can carry up to the deck and clamp to the railing for quick setup.
Working outside is way better for me, but a portable bench just adds too much wasted motion. Set up a fixture that can stay outside all winter long. A 5 foot long saw horse might be enough, or even just brackets on the hand rail. Use dimension lumber or even pallet wood. Plywood is too spendy and doesn't weather well for outdoor use.

dm

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Here is my latest.

robby

Booting up
Skier
I just picked up a RazorTune and I'm trying to decide if a Fine wheel makes sense for me. I'd love some input from experienced owners:

1) Do you notice any durability difference between when you finish with the Medium wheel vs when you finish with the Fine wheel? I don't race, so I don't need to reduce every last bit of friction between edge and ice. But if the Fine wheel would help my edge last any longer, that'd interest me.

2) Is the Fine wheel useful by itself after a very light day of skiing? Is there any situation where you would only use the Fine wheel to minimize wear on your edge?

3) Anything else you think I should consider? If it helps, I'm a telemark skier, I spend a lot of time on New England ice, and I need all the help I can get on it.

Thanks in advance.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't have enough experience with the RT to discuss edge longevity, but on the second point, we found the fine stone quite useful for days with softer snow. We also found that the fine stone alone doesn't leave enough of a hanger to warrant trying to eliminate it.

The medium doesn't seem entirely consistent in that regard--some of the skis I sharpened with it needed hanging burrs removed, but most didn't.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I used the med stone almost exclusively for day to day tuning. The coarse wheel is used for resetting the edge angle.
I also hand file the tips and tails to blend into the machine tuned section. I like my skis sharp from tip to tail. YMMV. Always do run a surgical stone on the base edge to get rid of the hanging burr is there is one.
Don't use the fine wheel much. It seems to work slower than the medium.

Except for a smoother finish. Don't really think there is much of an advantage to use the fine wheel. I have to grind the side edge until the dulled portion at the base edge has been eliminated.

robby

Booting up
Skier
Thanks both, I appreciate the perspectives even if there's not total agreement. I'm intrigued.

For those who have the Fine wheel but don't use it, anyone interested in selling theirs?

skifastflylow1

Booting up
Skier
Thanks both, I appreciate the perspectives even if there's not total agreement. I'm intrigued.

For those who have the Fine wheel but don't use it, anyone interested in selling theirs?
Yes. I’ll be home tomorrow and will confirm I still have it. I never use my fine wheel. I’ll shoot you a note tomorrow night.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I used my Razor Tune for the first time yesterday. Overall I found the process more nerve wracking than difficult. I started tuning a few years ago with only waxing and slight touch-up of edge damage with a diamond stone. Cutting the sidewall and taking a machine to my Stocklis was a bit scary but I think I did things correctly. I don’t think I cut the sidewall quite enough as I got some sparks but not along the entire edge. I’ll have to cut a bit deeper the next time.

I expected the edges to be sharper than they turned out but maybe with practice I’ll get better at that. I used the medium wheel and it took 3 passes to get all the sharpie off the edges from tip to tail. I could scrape some skin off my fingernails but not as much as another pair of skis that were sharpened from SkiMD.

All in all, I’m happy with the investment. It was really fast to use and I’m sure they’re more consistent than what I would have done by hand.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cutting the sidewall and taking a machine to my Stocklis was a bit scary

You used it for the first time.....with your Stocklis?!

Brave dude!

I keep tiptoeing up to the edge on one of these, but never quite pull the trigger.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I expected the edges to be sharper than they turned out but maybe with practice I’ll get better at that. I used the medium wheel and it took 3 passes to get all the sharpie off the edges from tip to tail. I could scrape some skin off my fingernails but not as much as another pair of skis that were sharpened from SkiMD.

If you are doing a new pair of Stockli. It will take you way more than 3 passes even with a coarse stone.

Rather than counting passes. Look at the sharpened edge with a light to verify the grinder marks has reach the side edge/base edge intersection along the entire length of the ski. A Illuminated Jewelry Loupe will often help with the inspection.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You used it for the first time.....with your Stocklis?!

Brave dude!

I keep tiptoeing up to the edge on one of these, but never quite pull the trigger.

My choices were either Stockli or Kastle so I just shrugged my shoulders and went ahead. I’m pretty handy with tools so I was only slightly nervous. I skied them yesterday and am happy to report that the edges were sharp and I didn’t screw up the bevel.

If you are doing a new pair of Stockli. It will take you way more than 3 passes even with a coarse stone.

Rather than counting passes. Look at the sharpened edge with a light to verify the grinder marks has reach the side edge/base edge intersection along the entire length of the ski. A Illuminated Jewelry Loupe will often help with the inspection.

No, these had already been tuned by SkiMD and I was only sharpening the edges after finding too many rocks at Sugarbush a few weeks ago. I don’t think I’m ready to set edges or do major metal removal on my own yet. I appreciate that information though for when I am ready.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
so done about 30? different pairs now, and some pairs sevral times

razor-tune does a way better job than me with a guide.

buddys new pair of SX was pretty much perfect after a single pass with the medium now, than just did another pass.. because yeah interestingly, WRT pro was same for the right side of both skis, not left, guessing the stockli machine hung a bit needing 3 passes to be perfect

my pair of SX (2020? 2021) took LOTS and LOTS of pases with course

my laser GS was perfect with 2 passes of medium and somewhere in between

my X9RS... they were so bad I gave up with course.. and extra course! and went to file, the really course swix one that takes a LOT of material out, would needed sevral batteries :|

the tune is just SHARP, but smoooth & very consistant, its also easy to see how good its across the line, I usually put a marker on edge to check, with a diamond file its easy to get fooled, not so with razortune

get it, just get it.

Sponsor