• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How's the edge tuning quality by Razor tune?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anyone else had to do this many passes?

The worst I have encountered was a pair of "premium" ski. 12 passes with a coarse wheel to reset the factory angle to 3°. This is with the side wall cut back so interference from the side wall plastic. Just pure metal edge removal. The odd thing is the extra passes were only required for the front of the skis. All four edges from the binding toe forward. The back end of the skis took 6 passes to reset.

Had the same experience with another pair of skis with the same issue. Same "premium" brand. Front of the skis took 8 passes while the back needed only 6.

However, the more disconcerting issue that surfaced was the inconsistency of the factory side edge angle. three quarter of the way through the edge angle reset, the ski edges looked like a serrated kitchen knife with irregular scallops varying from one to three inches. That happened with five (05) pairs of same premium brand skis in the last two years. :nono:

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
was that starting from 1? I guess changing by 2 should take roughly twice as much h as me changing Alan's skis by 1.

The factory tune was specified as 1.4/2 for this so called "premium" ski brand. After my recent experience, my conjecture is the actual angle may be 1.4/1, 2, 1.5, 2, 1, 1.25, 2.25... etc. :nono:

Basically, the side edge angle was varied all over the place along the entire ski edge. Especially the front of the ski.

Prepped three pairs of Volkl in the same tuning session. They were dead on 3°. Two passes with a medium stone and they are good to go.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't have an x-tra coarse, just a coarse, med & fine!

on some new skis, or poorly way off skis you will need quite a few passes with course as I discoverd, on well maintaned skis, its fast! 1 pass with course if same angle and set properly

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The worst I have encountered was a pair of "premium" ski. 12 passes with a coarse wheel to reset the factory angle to 3°. This is with the side wall cut back so interference from the side wall plastic. Just pure metal edge removal. The odd thing is the extra passes were only required for the front of the skis. All four edges from the binding toe forward. The back end of the skis took 6 passes to reset.

Had the same experience with another pair of skis with the same issue. Same "premium" brand. Front of the skis took 8 passes while the back needed only 6.

However, the more disconcerting issue that surfaced was the inconsistency of the factory side edge angle. three quarter of the way through the edge angle reset, the ski edges looked like a serrated kitchen knife with irregular scallops varying from one to three inches. That happened with five (05) pairs of same premium brand skis in the last two years. :nono:
I see the "front of ski" thing quite often, and quite often on premium brands, latest victim were my new SX

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I guess if I had skis that far of, I would start with a Panzer file at 1 degree higher than my final edge angle (so if I wanted to end up with a 3 degree, I would use a 4 degree tool. ) This is known as back-filing. I would then finish the side edges with the Razor-Tune Don't think I would use the Razor Tune to dramatically change the edge angle. It is much more effective as a "finish" tool. Although I have changed a 2 degree to a 3 degree with the RT and it didn't take a lot of passes.

SKIDADL

Booting up
Skier
Just to close the loop - I used my new Razor Tune for the last third of the season to good effect. It is everything I had hoped it would be - easy to use - more consistent and less error prone than my Swix Evo with a very good and consistent edge. I especially like how the Razor Tune starts up - with the disc against the work and then turn the machine on - no discernible "start-up" marks on the edge! Like using all these machines the real and necessary work is in doing a good job of cutting back the ABS sidewall to give the machine a clean metal edge to engage. I like the Swix sidewall remover best of the tools I have tried for sidewall removal.
I couldn't get the battery model of the Razor Tune when I wanted to make my purchase but had no issues with cord model - a good work setup combined with a few power-off dry runs made sure that nothing caught during the real work process.
So the Razor Tune is a winner - my Swix Evo was sold to a loving race family in Alberta at a very friendly to them price. Everybody seems happy!

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just to close the loop - I used my new Razor Tune for the last third of the season to good effect. It is everything I had hoped it would be - easy to use - more consistent and less error prone than my Swix Evo with a very good and consistent edge. I especially like how the Razor Tune starts up - with the disc against the work and then turn the machine on - no discernible "start-up" marks on the edge! Like using all these machines the real and necessary work is in doing a good job of cutting back the ABS sidewall to give the machine a clean metal edge to engage. I like the Swix sidewall remover best of the tools I have tried for sidewall removal.
I couldn't get the battery model of the Razor Tune when I wanted to make my purchase but had no issues with cord model - a good work setup combined with a few power-off dry runs made sure that nothing caught during the real work process.
So the Razor Tune is a winner - my Swix Evo was sold to a loving race family in Alberta at a very friendly to them price. Everybody seems happy!
It's worth noting that Swix has at least two different sidewall tools.

I own the more-basic one (the TA101N), which works decently but can be a bit finicky.

At work, I use the "World Cup" version (TA104), and it's much more pleasant to use and, IMO, the added smoothness from improved tool design results in a smoother sidewall cut (less likely to induce chattering). It also costs more than twice as much, but the next time I order tuning tools, I plan to order one. For home use, I'm pretty sure if I buy one now, it will last for decades.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's worth noting that Swix has at least two different sidewall tools.

I own the more-basic one (the TA101N), which works decently but can be a bit finicky.

At work, I use the "World Cup" version (TA104), and it's much more pleasant to use and, IMO, the added smoothness from improved tool design results in a smoother sidewall cut (less likely to induce chattering). It also costs more than twice as much, but the next time I order tuning tools, I plan to order one. For home use, I'm pretty sure if I buy one now, it will last for decades.
This by far is the best! Have tried them all! https://www.slidewright.com/kunzmann-fk-sks-pro-sidewall-stripper.php

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I had the orange FK-SKS tool but I switched to a hand held panzer file because it was it needed to be adjusted too much. Now I’m using a file in a 7 degree guide. That always works and keeps my hands away from the sharp edge.

dm

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I find different sidewall strippers work for different skis. Sometimes the special tool, sometimes the panzer. It's the flukeiest part of tuning.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had the orange FK-SKS tool but I switched to a hand held panzer file because it was it needed to be adjusted too much. Now I’m using a file in a 7 degree guide. That always works and keeps my hands away from the sharp edge.

dm
I do this too, but often need more than this provides

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I haven't had any trouble using files. I also like that the file takes back the metal layer above the edge because I think that can stall my grinder. The sidewall scraper was a pleasure to use but a PITA to adjust. Maybe I gave it away too soon.

dm

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Reposting my question in the Wintersteiger thread here for topic visibility

As the battery version is currently not available, can I just buy the corded version, which is available:

And then buy a separate battery pack, which is also available?

Is it possible to just plug in the battery pack to the corded version?

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
My ski's default side edge is 2.4 degrees, which is Volkl's factory tune:

1656146919148.png

So I'm thinking of ordering the Razor Tune with an additional 2.5 degree wedge, in addition to the included 2 and 3 degree wedges, as 2.5 degree is close enough to the 2.4 degree Volkl factory tune.

My question is:

1. Do I have to plane the sidewall if I'm only going from 2.4 degree to 2.5 degree? Is .1 degree enough difference for the wheel to snag the sidewall?

2. I might experiment with going to 2 degree in the future. I don't need to plane the sidewall going from 2.5 degree to 2 degree right?

Last edited:

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
The factory tolerance is probably at least +/- 0.2 degrees, so so a 2.5 shim should work fine, but there's really no need to stack shims. If 2 degrees works for you, you don't even need to reset the edge angle before you start grinding.
You'll need to peel back the sidewall from time to time regardless of what angle you grind. I've used a small piece of panzer file free hand, but now I mostly use a medium file in an adjustable guide file modified for 7 degrees. Others like a sidewall peeler, but I found them too hard to adjust to match all the different skis I tune. You gotta find what works for you.
You're doing the right thing starting with Razor Tune. For all the money I spent on cheap tools, better tools and then pro tools, I could have bought a RT twice.

dm

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The factory tolerance is probably at least +/- 0.2 degrees, so so a 2.5 shim should work fine, but there's really no need to stack shims. If 2 degrees works for you, you don't even need to reset the edge angle before you start grinding.
You'll need to peel back the sidewall from time to time regardless of what angle you grind. I've used a small piece of panzer file free hand, but now I mostly use a medium file in an adjustable guide file modified for 7 degrees. Others like a sidewall peeler, but I found them too hard to adjust to match all the different skis I tune. You gotta find what works for you.
You're doing the right thing starting with Razor Tune. For all the money I spent on cheap tools, better tools and then pro tools, I could have bought a RT twice.

dm

Truer words have never been spoken. I learned this lesson a long time ago. The ex-wife never understood why I always bought the more expensive model of a given product and I stopped trying to explain the logic. All she saw was dollar signs.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Truer words have never been spoken. I learned this lesson a long time ago. The ex-wife never understood why I always bought the more expensive model of a given product and I stopped trying to explain the logic. All she saw was dollar signs.

For most tools that I intended to keep, I generally go with the "Buy once, cry once" mantra.
For disposable tools, I buy Dewalt. :duck::ogbiggrin:

Sponsor

Staff online