• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Assuming the hole is in a tread block and not a groove and not wider than about 1/8", this is totally a plug kit repair scenario.
Even a bigger hole can be plugged temporarily with multiple plugs. I had a lag bolt in one of my truck tires and needed 3 plugs to seal it. It held, no problem, for a few days, until I could replace it.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We always have a inexpensive tire plug kit in all the cars along with a tire pump.
Haven't had to use one on the road yet. Knock on wood.

Thanks!!

Question: Can this be done with the wheel still attached? The pics on the Amazon.com page show the tire dismounted with lots of opportunity to apply elbow grease to the task.

Edit: Answered my own question with a YouTube search.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Thanks!!

Question: Can this be done with the wheel still attached? The pics on the Amazon.com page show the tire dismounted with lots of opportunity to apply elbow grease to the task.
Maybe. Hey, on some wheels you could maybe replace the brake pads with the wheel on. Ideally eventually the plug is replaced by an internal plug. That used to be the thought anyway.

I seem to remember fire being involved with plugs. Maybe that's old.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

If the leak is on the front tires, you can turn the tire to point outside the wheel well so you can get some beef behind the T-handle tools. If the leak is on the rear tire. You'll have to take the tire off.
I also check the lube/sealant every 6 months just make sure it is not dried up. I will often throw in a small can of PVC pipe cement in the car along with the plug kit. Just to be safe.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMO, if you're stuck with run-flats, it's much better to use a can of Fix-a-Flat and reinflate than it is to run the tire without pressure to the nearest tire shop. Far less chance of sidewall damage.

I've done this twice in 15 years (Sienna AWDs). Both times the tire shops understood why I put the goop in. I tipped them $20. Everybody seemed happy, and I didn't have to buy a new tire either time.

But I've moved on from run-flats. Two cans of Fix-a-Flat and a VI air compressor (accept no substitutes!) and a AAA card. At the time, it was the only way I could choose the Hakkas. It was worth it!

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, the reason I was so happy to see the current X3 version offered with an optional donut spare Is that I'm finally free of the mediocre run-flat choices for the occasional excursions up to Mammoth. Installing Conti DWS 06s should be a real step up. And yes, my research also led me to replacing my 20 year old Black and Decker tire inflator with a VIAIR 84P. A much more robust piece of machinery. And the plug kit is on its way from Amazon.com.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That means we’re going to have to bust out the .22 rifle to test the kit?

Kidding aside, if you've got a snowblower or riding lawn mower, they are great, low risk, places to try a plug kit before you're stranded on the side of a snowy road at night.

Or, God forbid, before a slow repair results in missed powder skiing!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Okay @nay -- best hybrid AT/Snow available in 235/65r17 (or 235/60r17).....

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Those do look pretty good -- of course with the standard ($$$) Michelin pricing.

Would prefer a bit more AT-type tread as these would be doing a good bit of FS road duty too. Anyone with Falken Wildpeak AT Trail or Cooper AT3 4S experience?

A new rig is coming soon.....

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Those do look pretty good -- of course with the standard ($$$) Michelin pricing.

Would prefer a bit more AT-type tread as these would be doing a good bit of FS road duty too. Anyone with Falken Wildpeak AT Trail or Cooper AT3 4S experience?

A new rig is coming soon.....
The Falkens are definitely beefy and are well suited for off pavement. Mine have have held up well to job site (ab)use. I think the Coopers are a little more biased toward on road performance.
I found these doing a quick search for your size. I know nothing personally about them but they look promising. https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/nokian-tire-rotiiva-at/p/25209

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@Ogg -- I've got the same on the current rig and dig them. Unfortunately new rig sizing doesn't work for them.

Until I lift it....

Reactions: Ogg

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Wow, not one of the tires I've actually driven fit that size. Go lift that thing.

Going to be modernizing to a Sienna. Not a burly truck. But the most efficient way to have a car that is a good camper and good people hauler. (Yes yes yes, I know about full size SUVs. They are not as spacious for camping.)

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January