• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
^^^^good thread direction to the other side of hybrid design in taking highway tread, heavily siping the inner tread and opening up the outer lugs just a little bit.

I would get stuck on that tire :D.

As a total thread drift, if you are still contemplating a first gen Sequoia I have much better model year intel for you now that I've dug into mine and raised it to the proper standard. These things are awesome...with some tweaks...

IMG_2383.JPG

Last edited:

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Just ordered the Michelin Defender LTX for the Suburban to replace the LTX MS2's that are on there. $187.49 each from Costco in 275/55 20.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
So the Falkens are just fantastic so far - smooth, quiet, and a pretty soft compound given bump smoothness around town on a big 65 lb tire.

If winter performance is as good as it should be, Falken has a winner on its hands.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I go with studs. I have seen all the tests that show excellent hockey rink performance from soft rubber heavily sipped tires, but I have yet to see them run the same test at 50% tread wear.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agreed. As a Michelin fanboy, I'd suggest folks without off-road aspirations also consider the MIchelin Premier LTX over the LTX AT2:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Premier+LTX

I put those on our MDX and they have been fantastic. Our experience matches the outstanding TireRack reviews. For Colorado winter roads I'd rather be rolling on the Premier LTX than any of the AT tires in the OP, assuming you never go off-road. A decent assumption, since so few vehicles are off-road capable these days anyway.

@Dryheat, I think that's a much better choice for your Forrester in Phoenix. No need to swap tires in the winter. I usually run winter tires, but am OK with the Premier LTX for occasional winter trips into the Colorado high country, at least for the first year or two of use.

I'd agree that the Premier LTX feels quite good so far in wet, slick conditions and provides a rather smooth quiet ride however these supplemented some X-Ice Xi2's bought for the winter after picking up some decent used 18 inch rims. Point being, if for any of the tires noted given the price points, if one can swing a second set of rims and has the storage, use/cost wise there isn't a huge difference. The X-ice are rated at 50K miles, the LTX at 65K (I think) and price delta effectively makes them equal. I swap em out and in essence feel better in being able to trust my non winter treads and to getting more use/milage out of them.

Additional point in agreement is these are really used non off road. Neither has a deep thread, the Ice-X I recall is 11/32 which is more than the LTX and both less than the even less costly (non off road use) Yokohama IceGuards at 13/32 used on my Chevy truck. However the truck will be due for new 3 season tires this next spring or summer and the KAO's or other recommended ones here are looking pretty tempting. Part of the niceness of having dedicated 3 season is I can wear em down quite close to the wear bars with very minor adj for heavy rain.

Last edited:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Softer compounds do better on cold, icy roads, but grind away quickly on hot summer pavement. I've heard some claims that a few of the new eco compounds have shown to actually get SOFTER in COOL weather and HARDER in WARM temps.

Interesting comment. I recall a long while back a Chem/Physics Prof working with foam equations was asked if foam would expand/fatten up if stretched. He apparently liked the question, based on a neg poisons ratio and came up with some type of foam that expanded when stretched. Only recall this as I worked a few floors up with a research group and we'd cross paths on occasion. Don't recall he pursued actual products but believe such materials are in use today.

seems given one advance in compounds is calculations today can be done quickly so it wouldn't surprise me that tires can exhibit this property and would be great for a true all season tire.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My CX-5's stock Yokohama's have maybe 10k miles left on them, at 26k miles. (Stock tires suck anymore.) I am debating what to do. I know I want to put something else on for the winter, since I'll be driving to Snowbasin at LEAST 5 days a week to work, but I'll be up there the rest of the time free skiing :D So, theoretically, I'll be commuting 10 miles each way every day, and need to be able to get there reliably no matter what, since I work there. My Mazda does have AWD.

So, in reading this thread, it sounds like I could get a set of tires that would offer superior snow performance but also good summer performance? My plan was to swap out for snows, then run the Yokohama's for another 10k miles through next summer, put the snows back on next winter, then buy new all season tires in the spring of 2018. I'd love to avoid having to swap out every 6 months (and store the spare set, too.)

If I can buy one set of tires that are awesome driving in the summer (the Mazda is pretty fun to drive, and I like to lay it around corners, not going to lie) I'll be very happy.
With that in mind, give me a short list if you all don't mind. I need to take care of this before Thanksgiving.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
My CX-5's stock Yokohama's have maybe 10k miles left on them, at 26k miles. (Stock tires suck anymore.) I am debating what to do. I know I want to put something else on for the winter, since I'll be driving to Snowbasin at LEAST 5 days a week to work, but I'll be up there the rest of the time free skiing :D So, theoretically, I'll be commuting 10 miles each way every day, and need to be able to get there reliably no matter what, since I work there. My Mazda does have AWD.

So, in reading this thread, it sounds like I could get a set of tires that would offer superior snow performance but also good summer performance? My plan was to swap out for snows, then run the Yokohama's for another 10k miles through next summer, put the snows back on next winter, then buy new all season tires in the spring of 2018. I'd love to avoid having to swap out every 6 months (and store the spare set, too.)

If I can buy one set of tires that are awesome driving in the summer (the Mazda is pretty fun to drive, and I like to lay it around corners, not going to lie) I'll be very happy.
With that in mind, give me a short list if you all don't mind. I need to take care of this before Thanksgiving.

I think some tires on this list are viable for a CX-5, but you're on the lighter duty side probably. How much does deep snow performance matter for you? What you are getting here generally has some nice bias to things unplowed (just plain ole blizzard, slush, soapy stuff that makes siping fairly useless) in exchange for a generally heavier duty tire.

What size are the tires on your Mazda? Have you typically only used dedicated winter tires? I don't want to steer you too much in this direction, because you drive more of a car, but there could be a good balance with some of the lighter duty choices. How important is budget, i.e. avoiding premium priced stuff like the Michelins?

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How important is budget, i.e. avoiding premium priced stuff like the Michelins?

Well, don't forget durability - f'r instance, the Michelin Defender LTX m/s has a 70,000 mile tread warranty that makes it kind of budget friendly in the long run. And it reviews very well. It's up to @AmyPJ to decide whether she wants something all-around like the Michelin Defender LTX m/s (with some compromises, or dedicated winter and summer set-ups). Me, if I were her, I'd go for the Defender:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?message=singleSize&tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Defender+LTX+M/S

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think some tires on this list are viable for a CX-5, but you're on the lighter duty side probably. How much does deep snow performance matter for you? What you are getting here generally has some nice bias to things unplowed (just plain ole blizzard, slush, soapy stuff that makes siping fairly useless) in exchange for a generally heavier duty tire.

What size are the tires on your Mazda? Have you typically only used dedicated winter tires? I don't want to steer you too much in this direction, because you drive more of a car, but there could be a good balance with some of the lighter duty choices. How important is budget, i.e. avoiding premium priced stuff like the Michelins?

The tires are my Mazda are 225/65 R 17. I am absolutely not adverse to Michelin pricing, and have loved every Michelin tire I have ever run on a car. I've never had winter tires. I won't be driving off-road in the snow (or anything, for that matter.) Unplowed? Highly unlikely except getting in and out of my neighborhood on occasion, but it's not hilly at all so shouldn't be an issue. I actually have a blast driving in the snow, and when the neighborhood is unplowed (meaning, I don't panic in it at all.) :D

Well, don't forget durability - f'r instance, the Michelin Defender LTX m/s has a 70,000 mile tread warranty that makes it kind of budget friendly in the long run. And it reviews very well. It's up to @AmyPJ to decide whether she wants something all-around like the Michelin Defender LTX m/s (with some compromises, or dedicated winter and summer set-ups). Me, if I were her, I'd go for the Defender:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?message=singleSize&tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Defender+LTX+M/S

I was JUST looking at those! I had something similar on my old car, and I think that's what my ex-husband just put on the F150. Big fan of Michelins. I'll probably buy at Discount Tire since they are very convenient, not just to get to, but to get in for rotations and service, and I've had great customer service from them in the past.
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fi....do&fl=&tc=MMIRA3&yr=2016&pc=27034&vid=029895

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you typically only used dedicated winter tires? I don't want to steer you too much in this direction, because you drive more of a car, but there could be a good balance with some of the lighter duty choices. How important is budget, i.e. avoiding premium priced stuff like the Michelins?

My plan was to swap out for snows, then run the Yokohama's for another 10k miles through next summer, put the snows back on next winter, then buy new all season tires in the spring of 2018. I'd love to avoid having to swap out every 6 months (and store the spare set, too.)

@AmyPJ I have about exactly my plans for spouses Ford Escape. Doing this now with my Chevy truck. Part of why I promote getting extra rims and having dedicated snows.

As for the CX5, it just short of a buy for us, the Escape is envelope wise very very close, same class vehicle, running Pirelli P7s now.

For Escape I'm likely going with the Ice-x or maybe the Yoko IG51's (which have a bit deeper tread). I like Blizzaks performance but read folks noting they like em only the first 1/2 of tread, the newer model may of added their softer ice gripping compound full tread though. I think however any of these would be good for road travel short of a hard blizzard. I don't mind driving deep snow, but it depends on the driver-you.

I just peg craigslist for rims (missed out on a set 2 weeks ago) but note, lots of stores sell rims and I may just pick up a set at Discount Tire, they run specials every few months, next I think will a pre Black Friday special where if you use (get) their credit card their "Best" tire selection can get $160 in rebates for a set of tires and $160 on rims. It's a bit of a pain but maybe you can peg them now to see if they'd be a deal.

I think your running a 114 bolt pattern which is pretty common and easier to find, ideally with the TPMS

Prices now look pretty good with lots of discounts, I've found Discount Tire has price matched too. My Michelins were, I got the Yoko's at Tire Rack on season close out, had them mounted at Discount noted this, sales guy said he would of matched price ....

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ
Timing is everything ... just saw follow-up

yeah, lots of Discount Tires in you neck of the woods and I've liked them a lot.

We run Mich Ixe-x now on Explorer and they're great, but this if your adding a spare set of rim's. DT has them too and maybe pre-pick for Black Friday if you can postpone and wish a winter tire/rim set up. Otherwise Craigslist can be a friend.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, @pete! I could definitely go the cheapo cheapo route and try to hunt them down locally (KSL is our version of CL here. Utah always has to do everything differently.) But I'm not sure I'm in the mood to deal with possible schyster's out there. This is when having a spouse would be nice, but my spouse didn't take care of this stuff anyway! I'm fully capable, BUT Utah can be a very misogynistic place, unfortunately.

Maybe I need a gay boyfriend. I had them in college and they were the BEST!

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
Maybe I need a gay boyfriend. I had them in college and they were the BEST!

My reaction to reading that for Utah was pretty much this

Through the end of the month Discount Tire Direct's Ebay store is offering $100 off $400+ purchases. This stacks manufacturers rebates and has free shipping.

For your stated size the Hankook looks interesting
HANKOOK PIKE

Here's the rest of the options filtered by your size
225 65 17

For my Forester, I'm likely buying a second set of wheels because my OEM's only have 5000 miles on them. Tirerack says that this size can work.

Blizzaks

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
The tires are my Mazda are 225/65 R 17. I am absolutely not adverse to Michelin pricing, and have loved every Michelin tire I have ever run on a car. I've never had winter tires. I won't be driving off-road in the snow (or anything, for that matter.) Unplowed? Highly unlikely except getting in and out of my neighborhood on occasion, but it's not hilly at all so shouldn't be an issue. I actually have a blast driving in the snow, and when the neighborhood is unplowed (meaning, I don't panic in it at all.) :D

Ok, good. So an all weather tire should work well :)

That is a tough size, your options are mostly highway tread stuff, so the Defender is probably top of the list and top of the price.

The Yokohama Geolander AT G015 would be a bit more aggressive for slushy soapy stuff for about $40 less a tire.

IMG_2407.JPG

If you went with a 235/60/17, the Cooper AT/3, which has won a bunch of tire tests, is yet another $20 a tire cheaper.

None of these are winter rated, though. I'd also look at the Hankook I-Pike. It's a winter tire, but I've used them over the summer on my minivan (same tweener tire size) and you might get two full seasons out of them if you don't drive a ton of summer miles. Cheaper tire yet again.

Also check out Discount Tire Direct - they often have crazy good prices, ship for free, no sales tax, and then the store will mount all 4 for $64 and you get the lifetime balance and rotation.

The other stuff I was posting won't come in this size and are probably more tire than you would ever want anyway.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My reaction to reading that for Utah was pretty much this

Through the end of the month Discount Tire Direct's Ebay store is offering $100 off $400+ purchases. This stacks manufacturers rebates and has free shipping.

For your stated size the Hankook looks interesting
HANKOOK PIKE

Here's the rest of the options filtered by your size
225 65 17

For my Forester, I'm likely buying a second set of wheels because my OEM's only have 5000 miles on them. Tirerack says that this size can work.

Blizzaks
LOL yeah gays are not treated very well here. Makes me angry, thread drift, though.
So, how does that ebay store work? Do I order them then have them shipped to my local store?

I'm still leaning towards getting the Michelins and running them year-round, unless you guys can convince me otherwise. I did have a few moments last winter where I wished I'd had snows vs. those crappy Yokohama's, but overall, I did fine with them driving up to the mountain 90 times. It's the idiots out there with bald tires and no skills (or the ones who would tailgate) who I worry about, not me. If I'm creeping up or down the hill and taking corners VERY slowly, and you're behind me in your beefed up, lifted truck, get off my ass. I'm going that slowly because I can feel my tires slipping, you *&%$&9((***!!!

Running steel wheels for 6 months out of the year also does not appeal to me, but I'll do it if I have to.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January