• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is no substitute for a proper winter tire (and, yes, AWD is not that substitute).
Yep. Here's a 4x4 Armada on the I-70 eastbound tunnel approach a couple of days ago:

It looks like it's a rental (red plates), so it probably has legal tread depth—just crappy tires.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep. Here's a 4x4 Armada on the I-70 eastbound tunnel approach a couple of days ago:

It looks like it's a rental (red plates), so it probably has legal tread depth—just crappy tires.
Yeah, poor Armada is awash in a sea of snow ... rudderless :roflmao:

(can't help fun poke fun of Nissan's name, but will say I did look at em long ago when wanting a long haul ride)

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Here’s the next installment on the AT Trail in the recent big CO western slope storm. This video is going over Monarch Pass. A few miles from the top, traffic slowed down into the typical follow the leader in one lane even though that pass has long two lane passing sections such as here.

I pass slowly when there is oncoming traffic to have as much chance to move over if a downhill vehicle starts to lose control and speed up more when it’s totally open. I probably saved 20-25 minutes of pass time as this blockade meant no traffic all the way down.

The AT Trail were flawless, not even a wiggle, working in the unplowed lane. Easy money.

We skied feet of untracked the next morning, all time conditions, Monarch reported 62” for this cycle and this was the big final event that also lead to the urban firestorm outside of Boulder. Driving from Gunnison back to Monarch is about 45 miles, 2/3 of which are up the valley. This is plowed and snowpacked, temps at or below 0º. Speed limit is 65 mph. This was the next morning, heavy snow again on the pass after these 30 miles in the valley.

The AT Trail were flawless. Not even a wiggle.

A634B773-312B-4FF6-9A9C-403246603B70.jpeg

They are good in deeper stuff, too, so far, but I need to get them in deep wind packed. This is a killer combo - it’s just eating up everything in every condition.

913737CE-E9C8-4B08-BEA2-9CD999437079.jpeg

@cosmoliu, Continental makes tires for Northern European cars, the Falken is tread life warrantied for 65K and actually designed for the crossovers we drive. So if they wear out, you’ll get new ones prorated.

Last edited:
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
You are lucky. Around Sudbury, they form a one lane parade too, except the are in the passing lane and you risk hitting a drift with only half your car if you decide to undertake.
Oh that never happens to get a huge line like that in one piece. A perfect vid for this thread.

FWIW, ms. nay did accuse me of road rage passing in the right lane (at pretty high speed) of a specific passing zone two days later after the baby blanket huggers ignored traffic laws (right unless passing) and kept blocking the left lane. We (she) had to have an extended conversation with my 18 year old son to not drive like that.

Having this much capability doesn’t always make passengers happy :huh:.

She drove back down the pass the next day with snow but sunny conditions, and ended up yo-yo‘ing off the back of people who could not maintain any consistent speed. I just noted, with a smile, from the passenger seat “that’s why I pass”.

I don’t think this did me any good.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
AT Trail continues to come with really high marks. We’ve had a few good icy events (this was really just driving on terrible tires) and I’ve been able to do more testing. Here just went around, honestly being in a big 4x4 is a lot more comfortable, you just don’t feel as vulnerable as driving around in a nice car, but it’s just handling everything with zero drama. Haven’t taken it out in anything more than 4-5”, but the real temptation is to drive faster than you should, because it’s fun.

26BCD6FE-09A7-4173-88D2-03782DBE42C0.jpeg

My daughter has been driving same conditions in her Forrester on the AT Trail, I ask her how it did, she says “like a boss” and then talks about the various roads closed because people have slid off and the detours she took to get home. I’m pretty satisfied at this point, but we’ve only had “typically bad” conditions so testing will continue.

I bought a 2008 Sequoia as we have realized the Ascent doesn’t replace a big 4x4 for hauling lots of people, gear and dogs. It came with half worn Nitto Ridge Grapplers, that tire is NOT recommended. It’s survivable, and I went out and did some sliding around, but it’s not something I would drive four season.

The Big Tree now has Patagonia MTs, that tire is just fun, I’ve been leaving it in 2WD (RWD) to see what it will still climb. Answer: steep grades that are snowpacked. Don’t know if I’ll run it again on this truck, it’s a bit different than on the Land Cruiser, and I may decide on more refinement because the rig is pretty refined (relative to what I drive), but they are a great winter tire so all good for now. 2nd gen Sequoias run 35” tires pretty easily. A proper 8 seater tank. Love this truck.

Used vehicle prices are stupid. But, I finally realized that this may never really change, and waiting wasn’t going to make it any better, just buying later with higher miles. Tire prices are also stupid. You can easily pay $400 a tire for 35x12.5/20 tires, and Patagonia’s are a lot cheaper than that for a great tire.

3BF8C5A1-67D4-4420-9B25-C3095D34CE43.jpeg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Bump. Who's got what?

I don't want to put another full winter on my current set of Contis but I will get those short of better options.
I am happy with Falken Rubitrek, not as aggressive as Wildpeaks but good in snow and I leave them on year round. I paid $900Cdn for 4 tires including mounting, balancing and tax.

Last edited:
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
The Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT is probably the class leader now on the truck side of things. That’s what is going on the Sequoia next.

I remain so impressed by the Falken AT Trail. Still dead quiet and outstanding road tire on the Ascent. There’s just nothing else to say about a tire that is good at everything for a CUV.

Chickenmonkey

David T.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I put some Nokian Outpost APTs on my Outback. We will see how they do. I think they will do better than my last all weather tire, BFG Advantage T/A Sport (not a hybrid tire) I had on the Highlander the outback replaced.

Picks below. Looking forward to trying them and the car out. I haven’t had a snow Subaru in a while.

B326611C-38BB-4CBD-B1D0-62D94417B0D1.jpeg

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Can I get some tire advice? 2020 Outback with the turbo engine. 26K miles and the OEM garbage tires are shot. I want something with rough-ish forest service road capability for chasing trout/camping in the summer (more puncture resistance, too!). Rocks, gravel, dirt, nothing crazy. Snow capability is an obvious factor. I've been looking at Falken Wildpeak AT/Trail and I know @nay loves his on the Ascent. Is this a good option for a year-round tire?

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Can I get some tire advice? 2020 Outback with the turbo engine. 26K miles and the OEM garbage tires are shot. I want something with rough-ish forest service road capability for chasing trout/camping in the summer (more puncture resistance, too!). Rocks, gravel, dirt, nothing crazy. Snow capability is an obvious factor. I've been looking at Falken Wildpeak AT/Trail and I know @nay loves his on the Ascent. Is this a good option for a year-round tire?
Yes on the Falken, great year round tire with chops for light off-road. Nitto has the Nomad Grappler now with the same design approach and that is worth checking out. I’d bet on the Falken as a better winter tire, it’s amazing how many tires from major manufacturers are a basic knockoff of the Falken Wildpeak AT3W (for trucks) and Wildpeak AT (for CUV) - including the Nomad.

We put snow tires on the Ascent (Bridgestone DMV2) because my wife is just more confident and it’s her car, but so far the winter difference is nothing to write home about and the reduced fuel economy, high speed stability, and handling are about as expected. In other words, the horse trades of a dedicated winter tire vs, an all weather tire.

A straight recommendation is get the Falken. The Outback is dead in the design target of that tire, the Ascent is somewhat heavy which is why it is wearing a SUV winter tire.

James

Out There
Instructor
The Nokian Outpost is another new entry in the field.

Reactions: nay

Chickenmonkey

David T.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have had the Nokian Outpost APT on my Outback since November and so far so good. I have spent the last half of December driving around in the heavy rain, snow, and some ice and all is as expected. Driving conservatively of course.

Ride is firm in a good way. We hit a pretty good rain hidden pothole yesterday evening and it performed well.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
The Nokian Outpost is another new entry in the field.
Yes, that’s the other one I couldn’t remember :golfclap:.

Also pretty much a derivative of the Falken, but that’s a good thing. It means everybody agrees these things work around some common identifiable parameters.

This is zero drama (except for ms nay in the passenger seat, who here is taking the video) passing on Monarch Pass in last years 6’ cycle over holidays. Gotta love those less plowed passing lanes with everybody else going at the speed of the lowest common denominator.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, that’s the other one I couldn’t remember :golfclap:.

Also pretty much a derivative of the Falken, but that’s a good thing. It means everybody agrees these things work around some common identifiable parameters.

This is zero drama (except for ms nay in the passenger seat, who here is taking the video) passing on Monarch Pass in last years 6’ cycle over holidays. Gotta love those less plowed passing lanes with everybody else going at the speed of the lowest common denominator.

I'd be more worried about someone coming the other way sliding across!

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I'd be more worried about someone coming the other way sliding across!
It’s hard to get that out of your head. Of course, you are in two lane traffic in the spots without the passing lane so it’s not ‘worse’ even if your passenger thinks it is :eek: .

Was just doing the same thing in a storm last weekend after the pass reopened from avy control. Was in the Sequoia with the Bambi basher, though, and you do feel better about it.

99AACF20-CBF4-4F3B-BC73-54B89150E5B9.jpeg

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Been doing some more research for the next tire on the Sequoia. I didn’t realize that Patagonia had released their XT, which is a winter rated model that is considered a hybrid between MT and AT.

I haven’t been able to find a poor winter review of this tire. Given I have 20” rims on the Sequoia and tires in this class are almost $500 if you want a bit oversized (like a 295/60r20), $200 cheaper per tire remains highly appealing.

Truck tire, though, not CUV.

B0912BE1-0EFA-49BF-A387-A750161C682C.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online