• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hypoglycemia

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
I got an AC1 done and I’m “normal”. I’ve been checking my glucose levels daily in the AM when I wake up and have been around 101. When I’m shaky and feel Hypo, I’m still around 100. Very confused why I feel that way.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I sounds like you do not have a blood sugar issue. A competent PCP should be able to evaluate your symptoms and recommend the next best steps.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
I got an AC1 done and I’m “normal”. I’ve been checking my glucose levels daily in the AM when I wake up and have been around 101. When I’m shaky and feel Hypo, I’m still around 100. Very confused why I feel that way.
Most of my adult life I have had blood sugar issues; doctor diagnosed as hypoglycemia. Apparently I create too much insulin which causes a quick decline in my blood sugar. I was told while it can be pre-diabetic, it can be a stand alone issue as well; I have never progressed. My maternal grandfather had diabetes, my mom is hypoglycemic, and both of her sisters are diabetic.

My hypoglycemia is very controllable as long as I eat properly in the am and keep something in my bag as a rescue if I mess-up. I hate eating in the morning, so breakfast is a challenge for me! I most often have an issue when I run off to a fitness class in the am and didn't eat enough or the right thing; my ears start to hum, I pour sweat (not the workout type), and start shaking...if I don't immediately eat my vision will start to blur, and then I am in danger of passing out. I keep squeeze applesauce on hand when I know I will be exercising since it is a quick hit, plus easy to ingest even while in motion. I keep nuts and dried fruit in my car too; they keep well and the sugar in the dried fruit provides that quick pick-me-up, while the protein/fat in the nuts keeps me going until I can have a proper meal.

For me protein is a good early morning meal - leftover chicken or chicken sausage, eggs with greens, protein drinks, homemade smoothies with plain Greek yogurt, peanut butter/PB powder, and a bit of frozen fruit are all my go-tos. I do really well with steel cut oats as well; they take a long time to digest so don't result in sugar spikes which then trigger my extra insulin production - they have great staying power for me.

Definitely chat with your doc about your ongoing symptoms. I would also keep notes on when you have an issue and look for a pattern. Looking back at that can help you determine when you are most vulnerable.

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Most of my adult life I have had blood sugar issues; doctor diagnosed as hypoglycemia. Apparently I create too much insulin which causes a quick decline in my blood sugar. I was told while it can be pre-diabetic, it can be a stand alone issue as well; I have never progressed. My maternal grandfather had diabetes, my mom is hypoglycemic, and both of her sisters are diabetic.

My hypoglycemia is very controllable as long as I eat properly in the am and keep something in my bag as a rescue if I mess-up. I hate eating in the morning, so breakfast is a challenge for me! I most often have an issue when I run off to a fitness class in the am and didn't eat enough or the right thing; my ears start to hum, I pour sweat (not the workout type), and start shaking...if I don't immediately eat my vision will start to blur, and then I am in danger of passing out. I keep squeeze applesauce on hand when I know I will be exercising since it is a quick hit, plus easy to ingest even while in motion. I keep nuts and dried fruit in my car too; they keep well and the sugar in the dried fruit provides that quick pick-me-up, while the protein/fat in the nuts keeps me going until I can have a proper meal.

For me protein is a good early morning meal - leftover chicken or chicken sausage, eggs with greens, protein drinks, homemade smoothies with plain Greek yogurt, peanut butter/PB powder, and a bit of frozen fruit are all my go-tos. I do really well with steel cut oats as well; they take a long time to digest so don't result in sugar spikes which then trigger my extra insulin production - they have great staying power for me.

Definitely chat with your doc about your ongoing symptoms. I would also keep notes on when you have an issue and look for a pattern. Looking back at that can help you determine when you are most vulnerable.
Thanks, excellent advice.

Sponsor

Staff online