• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I did NOT know that.

patmoore

Septuagenarian Snowboard/Ski Racer
Skier
I just learned that the origin of the term BLUETOOTH can be traced to King Harald Bluetooth who united Denmark and Norway in 958 AD. When a dead tooth turned blue he acquired the name.

James

Out There
Instructor
Next up- “wifi” is an invented name, and does not stand for “wireless fidelity”. Despite a poor google search and Verizon’s wrong information.

patmoore

Septuagenarian Snowboard/Ski Racer
Skier
Next up- “wifi” is an invented name, and does not stand for “wireless fidelity”. Despite a poor google search and Verizon’s wrong information.
Interesting. I posed the question to ChatGPT AI and it came up with:

The term "Wi-Fi" stands for "Wireless Fidelity," but its origin is not directly tied to that meaning. The name "Wi-Fi" was coined as a brand name by the Wi-Fi Alliance, a trade association that promotes and certifies Wi-Fi technology. The Wi-Fi Alliance wanted a name that would be catchy and easy to remember, so they hired a brand consultancy firm called Interbrand to come up with a suitable name.

Interbrand created the name "Wi-Fi" by modifying the term "Hi-Fi," which stands for "High Fidelity" and is used to describe high-quality audio reproduction systems. The intention was to create a similar association with wireless communication, indicating a high-quality wireless network. The term "Wi-Fi" was officially adopted by the Wi-Fi Alliance in 1999, and it has been used ever since to refer to wireless networking technologies based on the IEEE 802.11 standards.

James

Out There
Instructor
Of course, ChatGPT now provably makes $h*t up.

Hmmm….
It’s going to be like in 2001: A Space Odyssey, where ground control checks the HAL 9000 computer with their 2x HAL 9000 computer. They should’ve trusted and followed the one on the ground.

Sponsor