• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I did NOT know that.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
international-date-line-dashamlav.jpg
1660351176552.png

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I've never thought of the IDL as delineating east/west that way... the line doing that would be the prime meridian, wouldn't it?

Technically no, the line is called the 180th meridian (antimeridian of the International Reference), but your point is well made - the IDL doesn't control east/west.

Yet another po(case)int for why I think we should forget time zones altogether and only use meridians for east/west.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Units are PSI for this equation.This was an old Air Force rule of thumb from when I was an Air Force Flight engineer

I never considered it for motorcycle or bicycle use. I mentioned this in a airline interview in the mid 2000's and the Chief pilot said that they had a slightly different equation used in the Navy.
And what units for speed? Rods per second?

I wouldn't put much stock in that equation; it doesn't match up with reality. Maybe all things being equal the relationship holds, but all things are never equal. My Michelin Pilots have higher hydroplaning speed than the Bridgestone Ecopia plus tires they replaced. My tires get lower hydroplaning speeds as the tread wears out. Tread design and depth are the main factors the formula doesn't account for.
I suppose you could increase your hydro-planing speed by pumping up your tires. Probably only worth it if you were in a race.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Arrowsmiths are more commonly called fletchers.

We need to be careful. By the Tudor period ( think Mary Rose garrison arrows), separate crews -sometimes at at separate workshops - did the smithing of the heads (often someone else did the case hardening), shaft turning and fletching.

Talking of garrison arrows, I am not sure that the workers who did wooden flights instead of feather ones were actually called fletchers at all. :huh:

Assembly line production was very much figured out by the 15th century - possibly a lot earlier say in Byzantium - they just didn't have conveyor belts. Or interchangeable parts :)

Last edited:

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I did not know that people did not know that NH has an ocean front.
I didn’t realize it until I started traveling for work. The looks/comments I get during small-talk conversation when I say I’m from the seacoast of New Hampshire can be priceless.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Do they no longer teach basic geography in U.S. elementary schools? (Things are worse than I feared!)

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I used to think JayWalking was a parody :eek:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We need to be careful. By the Tudor period ( think Mary Rose garrison arrows), separate crews -sometimes at at separate workshops - did the smithing of the heads (often someone else did the case hardening), shaft turning and fletching.

Talking of garrison arrows, I am not sure that the workers who did wooden flights instead of feather ones were actually called fletchers at all. :huh:

Assembly line production was very much figured out by the 15th century - possibly a lot earlier say in Byzantium - they just didn't have conveyor belts. Or interchangeable parts :)
More stuff I didn't know.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Handicap rating on a golf course will have the even numbers on one 9 and the odds on the other and is not simply rating the holes by difficulty on that course.

Sponsor